Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This started in another thread but lets continue this here is you want to talk more about it.

ok, i found this but not sure if it's the same......

check HERE and HERE

It looks like a fucking sick system that would be capable of bringing your ride to a halt rather quickly.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Buell uses this type of braking system on their bikes, it makes sense:

Instead of stopping the disc and having to transfer the braking force from the edge of the disc - to the hub - to the wheel - to the spokes - out to the tire, the force is applied to the disc then to the tire.

It makes sense and it looks trick.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
looks like this system is bolted to the rim, look for any information about weakening the rim or air leakage.

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya, definitely seems like it would be quicker to respond to braking inputs and transferring those to the pavement. I think they want $1100 to $1200 for the front but that includes a new rim, rotor and 4 psiton caliper. think you can get it in the marchesini 5 spoke as well.

·
Registered
829 Posts
The system is bolted to the rim, but the rim is designed for the fitment.
So I don't whink air leaks would be an issue. Cracking around the drill holes could be though.

two perfectly flat 420mm floating rotors mounted to the rim of a specially built Marchesini three-spoke aluminum wheel.
-DJ1298

·
Registered
995 Posts
:hump stunning idea,i'll add that to the list of modz when i win the lotto

·
Registered
133 Posts
Looks good but, it looks like it would add weight to the rim and create more unsprung weight. I thought the idea was to lighten the rim and eliminate as much gyrosopic effects to make the bike more responsive in the twisty. My 2 cents

·
Registered
995 Posts
no ratbike, its the complete opposite to what u just said.it would eliminate more gyro' effect that standard brake systems.the further away from the centre the disk is,the less gyro' twist when brake is applyed

G

·
it can only stop you as long as your tires are still gripping. if you are experienced enough it will not stop you any faster than normal brakes. The tires have only so much grip until they lock up and you are down :poke

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
mattyzfr603 said:
it can only stop you as long as your tires are still gripping. if you are experienced enough it will not stop you any faster than normal brakes. The tires have only so much grip until they lock up and you are down :poke
I think the point is not so much stopping ability as it is more feel and accuracy.

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
plus better heat disapation due to the larger surface area of the rotor, which should mean less brake fade and more accurate and consistent feel as you beat on them relentlessly

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
too, the curve of the rotor is less drastic i.e. closer to a straight line than standard rotors.

I WANT SOME!!!

·
heebiedabajeebies!
1,781 Posts
Pretty sick MOD, I am actually very stoked to see this!
That was one of features i liked about the Buell Firebolt 2 years ago when i was shopping around for my first bike!

Now it all comes together, R6..then rim mounted brakes! :hump

1 - 17 of 17 Posts