Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I been call weird, mister science, crazy scientist, etc my whole life and I wear it will pride, so I'm use too pretty much anything..

Personally I don't believe in Tattoos (Even if I like some of them very much, but I totally believe in Scars and I display they with pride..

I just got this old R6 the other day, with a couple of broken plastics, so I decide to apply a technique I have used on and off for more than 35 years..

I say be proud of you [email protected]#K Ups..

I also have a very deep love for bicycles and try to implement them in whatever project I do, in this case the chainring links are perfect for the task (Stainless or at least coated, the black cheppo ones will get rusty in no time..

Since the wall thickness of the R6 plastics is so slim, I decide to make a "Composite" with Polycarbonate" aka lexan, you may wonder "But were can I get that stuff" well you have it literey right at your nose..

We all have scratch up helmet visors and guess what they are made off..

Acrylic mega sucks for this so don't even try it.

this is the back side, I discover long time ago that the pop rivets need a very rigid structure for backing, if not the will mushroom all inside the plastic you are fixing.

Here are all the pictures of R6 project just in case you are interested on the process..

I also "Fix" the plastic cover bumper on my land cruiser.
View attachment 373359

This method is crazy sturdy, I have parts I repair 15 years ago that still full functional, the rivets spread the loads on very incremental amounts so the risk of a rip or a failure are almost non existent..

For sure some parts lend them self to be fix much easier with out 90 deggre corners and multiple cracks so the result can be a little more Symmetrical
Back side..

All the pictures of this method are on Gallery just in case you are interested..

Ps: My first real post here, hopefully one of many..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay I get it, looks like I'm trying to share with the wrong crowd that still believe you can bounce and basketball with out wearing the little knobs

Bike Crash, is a fact of life and if you don't is because you safety margins are much to big..

After all i'm a "Cross countries in one day ALL in the dirt" kind of rider..

But the little R6 is going to be a fun, light and nimble toy to play around town..

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
83 Posts
Interested in keeping this idea in my list.. I dropped my crate-new R6 with a mere few hundred miles on her. Luckily got it out of the way early and was minor.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interested in keeping this idea in my list.. I dropped my crate-new R6 with a mere few hundred miles on her. Luckily got it out of the way early and was minor.

this METHOD is not as "Pretty" much is much simpler, in fact I have repair faring seating by the camp fire using my smallest Allen key to make the holes on the plastic by making the tip of the Allen key really hot (after that is good for nothing because the temper is gone on the steel, but hey it make holes..

Shame about 18 years ago, I spend five afternoons (at the Berkeley wall at sunset) fixing a ZX-9 with about 5 meters of stickers, at the time I did not have a camera and Pete end up tossing the plastics down the mountain with out telling me first..

Basically I will bring my drill and some extra batteries, my safety wire (the skinniest works best) and some cutters (you don't need safety wire pliers, all the twist is done by hand (five twist usually)

This sticking is also ultra strong and resilient only in one case all the safety wire got cut (Because I re-crash my GS on the same place) but not of the plastics or any of the holes where compromise (Then again BMW Plastics are really thick and weight a ton when the ones on the R-6 are paper thin and weight nothing..)
Basically if you can safety wire the bolts on your track bike, you can do this no problem..

I work on Helos for two decades..

So I have twisted a few miles of safety wire,,

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
83 Posts
I like it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts