Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
GET OVER IT
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Has anyone ridden at Road Atlanta? What gearing are you using there? On my '08 I was using 15 &45 and at turn 7 I was stuck between 2nd and 3rd gear. And down at turn 12, I couldn't drop down to 1st gear ( that may have just been cuz I didn't have the guts to do it though lol). On the back straight I'm full throttle 6th gear way before the halfway mark, I think partially Cuz of my issue with turn 7 and possibly I need a new map for this track ( I been riding mostly thunderbolt at NJMP).
What are y'all running? Thanks for the help!!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Reads the rulez
2,252 Posts
Stock gearing for Road Atlanta. Anything else [lower gearing] and you're gonna be bouncing off the rev limiter on the back straight. You shouldn't drop into 1st gear for any turn at Road Atlanta. If you have to, your entry speed is too slow. ;)

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts
Like he said everyone I've talked to said stock gearing unless you're crazy fast

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Hey guys,
Has anyone ridden at Road Atlanta? What gearing are you using there? On my '08 I was using 15 &45 and at turn 7 I was stuck between 2nd and 3rd gear. And down at turn 12, I couldn't drop down to 1st gear ( that may have just been cuz I didn't have the guts to do it though lol). On the back straight I'm full throttle 6th gear way before the halfway mark, I think partially Cuz of my issue with turn 7 and possibly I need a new map for this track ( I been riding mostly thunderbolt at NJMP).
What are y'all running? Thanks for the help!!
Turn 7 is the slowest of all the RA corners except maybe the bus stop. I ran it last year with a shitty generic map & generic flash and could touch the limiter with stock gearing & a 15 tooth front sprocket. I would highly suggest you make sure your bike isnt laying down on the big end as thats a time killer on that section of track. And you shouldnt be out of the gas until you see the Arai sign on the right.

·
Reads the rulez
2,252 Posts
Turn 7 is the slowest of all the RA corners except maybe the bus stop. I ran it last year with a shitty generic map & generic flash and could touch the limiter with stock gearing & a 15 tooth front sprocket. I would highly suggest you make sure your bike isnt laying down on the big end as thats a time killer on that section of track. And you shouldnt be out of the gas until you see the Arai sign on the right.
I would have to disagree, turn 7 isn't the slowest corner. Well, "slow" is a relative term, because RA is a FAST effing track!!!

In my opinion, I think turn 7 is the most important turn on the track, ESPECIALLY on a 600/SV 650's. If your drive isn't maximised coming out of there, your lap time is garbage. You absolutely need the best possible drive coming out of there to really make up time on the back straight.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
I would have to disagree, turn 7 isn't the slowest corner. Well, "slow" is a relative term, because RA is a FAST effing track!!!

In my opinion, I think turn 7 is the most important turn on the track, ESPECIALLY on a 600/SV 650's. If your drive isn't maximised coming out of there, your lap time is garbage. You absolutely need the best possible drive coming out of there to really make up time on the back straight.
My problem was my bike ran like absolute shit so no matter how hard I came off 7... other bikes just ran off and left me like I was parked.
After a proper tune the first dyno run showed I was down ~11hp off similar equipped bikes.

·
GET OVER IT
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With the gearing I was using I took turn 6 in 3rd, and 7 in 2nd. 2nd was revving way too high and was difficult to keep the throttle steady, so the drive out was absolute shit. If I took it in 3rd I had barely any drive out into the straight, so it sucked.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
With the gearing I was using I took turn 6 in 3rd, and 7 in 2nd. 2nd was revving way too high and was difficult to keep the throttle steady, so the drive out was absolute shit. If I took it in 3rd I had barely any drive out into the straight, so it sucked.

If you downshifted to 2nd just before 7... you should be able to catch an upshift as you hit the far side rumble strip. If youre trying to get into first... you arent carrying enough speed there. Other than leaving pit lane... you should never see first gear even running at 1/2 speed no brake pace.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts