Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
USC 2013 National Champs
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my bike is in MD and I want it out in CA for the fall next year, instead of paying someone 500 bucks to throw it on a truck, I thought it would be a real journey and personal goal to make it across the country all by myself... to me it would be a real challenge and somewhat of a life achievement, a goal i could check off my bucketlist.

As of right now I would start it Baltimore then, Columbus, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, St. Louis, Kansas City, Denver, Las Vegas and finish in Los Angeles

So i was wondering if anyone has gone east coast to west coast, and could reflect on their journey

Obviously i would need some bike mods for this long hike, so if you could let me know of anything that benefits the bike, that would be great too, thanks

·
Speedy Claxton
1,767 Posts
definitely need some tank/tail bags.. im not sure but i think i would suggest a sprocket change (for better highway mileage).. and get a more comfortable seat!!! i took a 180 mile trip and my ass was killing me.. i might just be a pussy but take it for what its worth. enjoy it though, ive been thinking about a cross country tour with my 6 and am still considering it, let us know how it works out.

·
my R6 tickles me.
465 Posts
definitely need some tank/tail bags.. im not sure but i think i would suggest a sprocket change (for better highway mileage).. and get a more comfortable seat!!! i took a 180 mile trip and my ass was killing me.. i might just be a pussy but take it for what its worth. enjoy it though, ive been thinking about a cross country tour with my 6 and am still considering it, let us know how it works out.
:fact

JK:cheers

·
Living free
433 Posts
A road trip on the bike would be super awesome! But I would def look into getting every kind of bag I could pack on. A sport touring windscreen, a sprocket change sounds like a splendid plan. Oh and could never forget about a better seat! I ride 40+ miles every day and if I do a ride thats more then 200, my butt is killing me.

·
USC 2013 National Champs
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
camping or staying in hotels?
For the most part it would be in hotels, but a good thing about college is you meet people from all over, i have friends that have already said i could crash at their place (Denver, St. Louis, Kansas City, Las Vegas) so that saves money there. However i really wanna meet the locals in all these places, you know stay in mom and pop places to really get the overall American journey

And I definitely need to look into a better seat :moon

But as of right now it is all still just a thought, i dont want to be in the plains of Kansas and have mental break down and panic attack, i need to be mentally ready for such a trip haha

·
RIP Super Sic
3,209 Posts
I got the GYTR R6 comfort seat and I think the differences are night and day compared to the stock seat. I would love to do something like this in the future. Good Luck and ride safe!

·
Registered
925 Posts
Hell yea dude.... do it do it!!! :toocool: I'm telling you... roadtrips on the bike are the best! I've done... a few :sing and I wouldn't give them up for nothing. Totally different that a roadtrip in a car

Post up on the forum(s) ahead of time with your route and everything, and more than likely people will chime in that are in the area and usually offer a couch to crash on for the night. I've done this many times cuz I love meeting up with people along the way, and it helps keep costs down with hotel rooms too, even though I don't expect it at all, they usually always offer to crash there, so that's cool. If I do stay in a hotel, it's ground level outside room only, so I can roll the bike into the room with me... that way I know it'll be there in the morning

Here's a couple trips I did last year. This one wasn't quite coast to coast, but from Atlanta, GA to Tucson, AZ, there and back in 7 days. It was for a family thing so I had to slab it the whole way and just get there and get back, but it was still fun just going somewhere new

http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=136178

And from when I was out of work and just had to get away for awhile.... met a ton of people on this trip, it was awesome!

http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=147083

Like has been mentioned, tail and tank bags (no backpack, unless you strap it to the tail with a cargo net!!), a gel seat is always nice, and a crampbuster or throttle locks helps a great deal too. But more importantly stop and take plenty of breaks, drink plenty of water to keep yourself hydrated, and when you start to get tired.... stop for the night. Walk around and stretch plenty at every break... legs, back, arms, stretch everything. It will help! When you're riding try not to stay in one position, move around and it'll keep you from getting sore

Don't forget to take lots of pictures too!!

Keep us posted if you end up doing it. And if you make your way through western North Carolina, my door is aways open to travelling riders... you're welcome to crash here for as long as you need :)

·
^^^ Ginger here...
386 Posts

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
defenatly get some sort of throttle lock, better seat and some tail/tank bags

·
Dangerously Irish
9,550 Posts
So my bike is in MD and I want it out in CA for the fall next year, instead of paying someone 500 bucks to throw it on a truck, I thought it would be a real journey and personal goal to make it across the country all by myself... to me it would be a real challenge and somewhat of a life achievement, a goal i could check off my bucketlist.

As of right now I would start it Baltimore then, Columbus, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, St. Louis, Kansas City, Denver, Las Vegas and finish in Los Angeles

So i was wondering if anyone has gone east coast to west coast, and could reflect on their journey

Obviously i would need some bike mods for this long hike, so if you could let me know of anything that benefits the bike, that would be great too, thanks

I plan on doing the same thing in 2 years when I move, seriously good luck. Personally Ive done a 6 plus hour ride on the 6 with 2 stops for less then 5 mins my throttle arm was killing me.:lmao

·
My R6 eat tires for lunch
857 Posts
probably should have some1 go with you. would be more fun too. cause if you go down in the middle of nowhere...and find out your phone dont work. shits gon be CRAZZAY

1 - 14 of 14 Posts