Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, the only trick that i really want to beable to do right now is a rolling burnout (not into the wheelie stage and so on yet)

but i want to beable to START doing a burnout while i'm already moving.

i see alot of guys do this, but i'm not exactly sure how.

i don't want to do the one where you do a static burnout then let off the front brake to get rolling, i want to beable to be driving then start doing a burnout.

am i making any sence?

thanks alot guys, i know i'm a noobie but stick with me here

btw......i have an 04 r6 if that would make any difference

·
Registered
501 Posts
while your moving pull on the front brake a little so you can feal it grab, pull in the clutch, rev it up and release the clutch slowly. While your doing this lean forward over your gas tank.

·
Banned
4,021 Posts
itll take some practice but jats got it right for ya. its just figuring out howmuch brake how much gas and such to get it to go right for ya. :cheers

·
Registered
953 Posts
yeah man, that stuff that looks so damn cool really wears down on the bikes. replacing clutches maybe not worth it.

·
Registered
267 Posts
yup, totally not worth it :poke
but cool as fook :cheers
my boy who used to do them said that basically you pull in the clutch at low speed and apply the brake + throttle and then dump the clutch back out. honestly, i think that starting from a dead stop and doing a rolling burnout is easier. from a dead stop just engage the clutch to the friction point and then roll that throttle on HARD :bash
practice doing that so you get the handle of the back tire cutting loose while you're moving forward. that's all the advice i's gots. let me know what works best as i too would like to be able to do one also.
:flame

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
aiigh......this is what works best for me

while moving.........lean forward and start grabbin the front brake......just enough that you can tell its grabbin the discs.............keep moving forward, then pull int he clutch, rev up, and let the clutch out, quickly, but don't just drop it......then give it gas, the tire will start spinning, smoking, and what have ya

·
Registered
106 Posts
It's easiest to learn when your tire is cold. If you try it after you have been riding for a while, there is a chance it will grab and throw you into a wheelie you weren't ready for-happened to me a couple times.
Another way to practice is to try it after going through a little water, spray some water on the road from a garden hose, and try it with no front brake. Stay upright, and forward. Just ride through the water, lean forward, and roll on the throttle.
After you have that down, ride the front brake a little after you start the burn out, to keep the bike from picking up speed. Don't hit the brake enough to lock up the front tire (easy to do) because then both tires won't have any traction.
If it starts going a little sideways, just steer into it like you would a car. If you panic chop off the throttle when it starts to go a little sideways, there is a chance the wheel will grab and kick the bike.
After you can do that easily, you can just use whatever works for you, clutch, no clutch, throttle then brake, brake then throttle...whatever works.
Use throttle control to keep it off the rev-limiter, and always be ready for that unexpected wheelie.
Frame sliders are a good idea if you don't already have them.
Be ready to go through some tires, a hard compound sport touring tire is easiest to burn out on, and last a little longer. (MEZ4)
When you can do it easily, practice turning while smokin' the tire. It is pretty cool to be able to do what you want to do, and showing off is always fun as long a you don't dump it, or get a ticket.

When doing a rolling burnout, I wouldn't let off the clutch slowly, that will most likely put you in a wheelie. If you use the clutch, let off of it quick. You need the power to slam to the tire to bust it loose from the pavement.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Pretty sound advice Big_Perm
..... dude on a CBR around here loves the rolling burnouts... and they sound so badass cuz the engine is screaming and the bike is hardly moving (down the block without the wooooooooosssssssh sounds)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Keep your right foot hovering over that brake, this way if you mess up and the bike wheelies, you can bring it back down in a hurry. Looping a bike is no fun at all, I learned that the hard way. Be safe and get it on video when you get it right.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Just wandering... go ahead and try if you're willing and ready with the cash to pay to fix your bike. If not, take my advice that I just got... the few seconds of pleasure isn't worth the cost of you and your bike...

-Solace

P.S. Stupid wheelie... :roll:

Also, when I said "fix your bike" I meant when you wreck, not the clutch... because it's only a matter of time before you do man, not to be harsh, but everyone does... I went down because of my own dumb ignorence and a stupid wheelie, definately not worth it. What's more embarassing, it wasn't lack of riding skill, just stupidity... I wouldn't do them man if I were you. They're cool yes, but $$$ out of your pocket hurts more...

·
Registered
26 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
go in 1st gear and pull in the clutch and coast to a crawl. get way over the front forks so your weight is off the rear. grab a fistful of front brake,feed revs and dump the clutch. when i do a clutch wheelie, i let the clutch out controlled and briskly, but with rolling burnouts, you want to break that rear tire loose, so dump it. once you get it spinning up, you can obviously modulate the front brake to control your speed, and at that point you can back off on the revs to conserve your tire. when i first learned them, i would leave the revs pegged pretty high and i'd go thorugh tires fast. now once it brakes loose, i can modulate front brake and throttle so it is just barely spinning. at that point you can start doing circle burnouts and such. good luck.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
jay01 said:
while your moving pull on the front brake a little so you can feal it grab, pull in the clutch, rev it up and release the clutch slowly. While your doing this lean forward over your gas tank.
Yep that's how it's done , BUT if it hooks up get ready to ride out the wheelie.......

·
IQ = Post Count
1,734 Posts
Tom Cruise did this shit in MI:2 while doing about 70 on a Triumph, filled the road up with smoke, and caused some guys to get hit by an 18 Wheeler.
YEA!
Be careful out there doing these rolling burnouts, please think of the bad guys in cars behind you, they might have families too.

:rant

·
Registered
38 Posts
Kelp said:
jay01 said:
Yep that's how it's done , BUT if it hooks up get ready to ride out the wheelie.......
That's why you get your weight off the rear and all over the front...also why you dump the clutch rather than release it out in a controlled manner. But you bring up a good point in that you need to have your wits about you for sure.

·
Registered
38 Posts
NoLegs said:
Tom Cruise did this shit in MI:2 while doing about 70 on a Triumph, filled the road up with smoke, and caused some guys to get hit by an 18 Wheeler.
YEA!
Be careful out there doing these rolling burnouts, please think of the bad guys in cars behind you, they might have families too.

:rant
I hope nobody is doing this on public roads...go find a spot to do it in. If not for your own safety, then for the fact that it will be an expensive ticket.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I lean way over the front, pull in the clutch, start slipping the clutch out and grabbing the brake, when the clutch is engaged enough to almost bog the motor, I pull it a slight little bit, very slight, then wack it back out, and drop it with some gas, never have I had the back grip and flip. When you get better at em, you can try them in 2nd gear as well, you feel like a badass when your going down a road at 35mph next to someone, then just roll a nice burnout down the road. Have you ever had your front slip or come off the road at an angle trying them in 1st? Just remember in 2nd going 35ish, your reaction time is going to have to be twice as fast to react and not hurt your pride in front of your buddies or some fit woman.

ALSO, if your worried about breaking your bike, not wanting to fix parts etc... Maybe you should have gone with a little older bike, or spent less money, I dont know about you but I bought a bike to enjoy the hell out of it, and abuse, but love it and take care of it. But the only thing that is going to keep me from doing burnouts is tires, once you have a flat spot, cornering sucks, and thats where my passion is.

·
Registered
38 Posts
tires? c'mon man, tires are free! just go to the local bike dealership, they always have a couple beauties out back by the dumpster!...and the price is usually right!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts