Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
NCSportbikes.com
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So was watching the race last weekend and something caught my eye...

They had one of the on bike cameras pointed at rossi's clutch hand and he was just barely even tapping the clutch lever to shift, isn't that bad for the clutch? I mean I know they can afford to fix it but I was taught to squeeze the lever all the way to the grip when I shift... Thoughts?

·
Registered
790 Posts
I dont even use the clutch half the time.

·
NCSportbikes.com
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Yamaha Blue in any color
3,251 Posts
You don't "need" a quickshifter to upshift without the clutch. Many people have been doing it for years. Do a search on clutchless shifts.

The quickshifters allow you to do it at full throttle without the clutch by just hitting the shift lever above a given RPM. I'm not sure of the streetability of that. But it's a good mod if you are running track.

·
slow guy
4,403 Posts
At the strip I only used my clutch to launch. When I raced MX, I only used the clutch to start and feathered it in corners when need be. Old news fellows.

·
Will work for track time
19,494 Posts
You don't "need" a quickshifter to upshift without the clutch. Many people have been doing it for years. Do a search on clutchless shifts.

The quickshifters allow you to do it at full throttle without the clutch by just hitting the shift lever above a given RPM. I'm not sure of the streetability of that. But it's a good mod if you are running track.

This. I rarely use my clutch when upshifting.

·
Parts Pimp
26,472 Posts
If you have a properly adjusted lever you won't need to pull the lever all the way in. Next time you are riding, stay on the gas lightly and pull the clutch in slowly. Take note of how far you need to pull to allow the motor to rev up..

That's how far you need to pull it in to make shifts, whether they be down or up. No need to pull the lever in fully, unless you have a ton of play in the line.

And when I was watching the race, I thought it was a cool ass camera angle too. I also noticed rossi uses full length levers.

·
www.1seven1.com
2,064 Posts
The key is to watch Rossi's clutch RELEASE ... smooth and slow. He's just got the friction point adjusted way out. No reason to pull all the way to the bar unless that's where you've got the friction point adjusted. I love watching what "slow hands" the motogp guys have.

Yes, quickshifters are awesome for upshifts. I've got one for sale with a PCIII and ignition module, if anyone is interested. In the "parts for sale" section. $450 for all of it is cheap.

-D

·
B4B
6,864 Posts
this thread has deviated from the OP. Rossi uses his clutch only when he is downshifting. ALL of the riders don't even put a finger on the clutch when upshifting, hence the quickshifter. These bikes can set up the clutch to the rider's liking. Some of these bikes don't even use the clutch lever for up shifs or down shifts. Thats how advanced the bike is.

·
NCSportbikes.com
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The key is to watch Rossi's clutch RELEASE ... smooth and slow. He's just got the friction point adjusted way out. No reason to pull all the way to the bar unless that's where you've got the friction point adjusted
That's how I've got mine set up, I only HAVE to pull like 3-5mm to disengage, but in my msf course my instructor demanded we pull it all the way in, so that's what I made habit.

I suppose my shifts will get faster and my corner exits will also get quicker with a faster shifts if I'm not mistaken?

·
crashing aint so bad
2,271 Posts
The MSF course as pointed out in another thread, is not much more than a beginner course. It's criteria is to teach a large demographic of pupils how to ride safely and proficiently. It is safest to pull the clutch all the way in, all the time, because it reduces the chance of user error. The MSF course doesn't factor that each rider has a different bike set up and preference. They also are not concerned with the performance aspect of ridding.

You can adjust the clutch lever any way you want to your liking. You don't have to pull it in all the way either to use it. What must be accomplished though for best life and performance, is that the clutch must fully disengage when you do pull it in. If you pull it in only an inch, you still want it to allow the rear tire to freewheel.

With the advent of the slipper clutch, the precise use of the clutch on downshifting is becoming redundant. The slipper clutch ( with a real slipper ) can allow the user to pull the clutch in, drop three gears at once and simply dump the clutch. If you try that with the stock slipper clutch, or a bike not equipped with a slipper, you will quickly eat poo. What Rossi is doing is feathering the clutch out instead of simply dumping it. This is why you see him going into the turns a little more upright than other riders, instead of backing it in like Gary McCoy. It is a style and a preference, not necessarily a requirement.

·
Registered
3 Posts
clutchless upshifts, and clutch down. works like a charm
+1

Just takes some practice to figure out the RPM range where it slips the gear up smoothly. I usually just roll the throttle back just a touch, kick the gear up, then right back on it. Touching throttle back a touch takes some load off and IMHO a smoother shift :popcorn:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts