Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
I Love My R6.
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im getting ready to switch over to royal purple max cycle.

my question is who carries it in the midwest? i only see the normal motor oil..?

and what weight 10w30 or 10w40 or maybe higher? manual calls for 10/30.

thanx!

·
Banned
212 Posts
I used 10-30w for mine with royal purple, it is hard to find, i got mine at oreily's auto parts, not sure if there is one around you. a

·
Registered
351 Posts
I used to get it online...until I switched to amsoil. Runs a tad cooler and shifts smoother than the purple. However the purple was a HUGE improvement over regular oil.

·
I Love My R6.
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
this is gay i called a few oreilly store around indianapolis and none of em carry RP bike oil all they have is the car oil.

·
2003 R6
691 Posts
Don't use it. Advice said, use it as you will.
A buddy of mine used it on his 6 and loved it. He had 50k miles on it and still ran super smooth and nice. And he tracks it and rides very hard. So id take his advice on it. I planned on switching to it after talking to him

·
Registered
205 Posts
^Yeah, I swear by it. Are there NAPA autoparts stores in the mid-west? That's where I get mine.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Don't use it. Advice said, use it as you will.
This has been several times, and never with an explanation. As stated above, I had 50k HARD miles all with RP on my '03 R6 and it was a strong bike when I sold it. Never a motor problem, and never needed to change my clutch. And there were a lot of clutched up wheelies in that 50k miles. If you're going to give advice, explain yourself.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I was wondering how many miles I could get out of my clutch I started using RP right after the bike was broke in. I have 40,300 miles on my 05. I don't do wheelies just some hard riding and for the most part I only use my clutch when I down shift or take off from a light into second. After second I pretty much just let of the throttle a little and shift. Especially when racing friends. Good to see you got so many miles out of yours.

·
Prove it!
511 Posts
There are a lot of engine builders and tests that prove Royal Purple isn't the best motor oil to use. That being said, for the money you'll spend, go with something different. I've heard a lot of engine builders say that Royal Purple is very tough on the bearings.

Please don't take my word, read up on it. There's an Amsoil dealer on here that has a link to oil tests on this forum. You'll find information there or you can google oils tests for motorcycle oil if you don't believe that their testing wasn't bias.

Here's the PDF file with test results.

http://www.ezlubes.com/product_info/g2156.pdf http://www.ezlubes.com/product_info/g2457.pdf

·
I Love My R6.
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
found a place. NAPA or OReillys didnt carry it in indianapolis.. o well i found some other place tho.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just changed my oil and used regular Royal Purple. Is this the car oil? Does this mean I need to change my oil or just learn from my mistakes for next time? Also does anyone use K&N oil filters and if so what do you think of them?

·
I Love My R6.
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
if its not maxcycle its car oil.. id change it if i were u cuz it doesnt have properties for the wet clutch system and can have a bad effect on ur clutch. but its up to u.. it will still run.. but i wouldnt run it 4k miles on that b4 the next needed oil change.

·
My R6 eats yours!!!
369 Posts

·
Banned
212 Posts
There are a lot of engine builders and tests that prove Royal Purple isn't the best motor oil to use. That being said, for the money you'll spend, go with something different. I've heard a lot of engine builders say that Royal Purple is very tough on the bearings.

Please don't take my word, read up on it. There's an Amsoil dealer on here that has a link to oil tests on this forum. You'll find information there or you can google oils tests for motorcycle oil if you don't believe that their testing wasn't bias.

Here's the PDF file with test results.

http://www.ezlubes.com/product_info/g2156.pdf http://www.ezlubes.com/product_info/g2457.pdf

Good link, I'm gonna try the Amsol next time, where do you find it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
correct me if I am wrong but your oil is also your tranny fluid isn't it? and if so royal purple car oil is not what you wanna use, it does not have the same properties as motorcycle oils do which greatly lengthen your tranny life

·
iCrash
1,912 Posts
ya royal purple tested poorly compared to amsoil and mobil 1 4T.
i use repsol racing 4T, and i love it. but i get a great deal on it from one of their reps.

i use amsoil in my chevy pickup truck tho.

·
Registered
202 Posts
i have been using royal purple for about 5k now and i have had nothing but smooth shifting and lower temps along with reduced vibrations....i just switched to amsoil 10w40 today with a k&n oil filter...rode about 140 miles and have had pretty similar results to RP....the only thing is with the Amsoil is that theres a weird sounds right at start up ...but i will keep my eye on it....oil level and everything is fine....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts