Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks in advance for any input as I have had much help with this forum.

BACKGROUND: I have a 2004 R6 (7k miles )I purchased used last year so not sure of previous maintenance. I know the bike was previously dropped as I just wanted to throw that in there. Recently I was having batt. charging issues and ended up being a ground short where the battery connects to ground. My rectifier is rewired as well.

Problem: Bike has been running fine and I noticed this issue after I got home after a big rain storm. dont know if it has anything to do with it. It started and cranked no problem but after about 5 min of driving when I go to pull the clutch in at a stoplight the RPM bottoms out and drops to 0 and bike shuts off. It does not really stuble and stutter it just drops out. ...It did this for a few days intermintently. I took the starter switch on handlebar apart to make sure everything was connected correctly and no corrosion which everything seemed ok.

I can always start bike fine and will sit there and idle fine no prob. ITs only after I drive it a little bit and the bike seems to warm up. Sometimes I have the problem and sometimes I dont. The other day it was running really rough (almost like it was missing -bad sparkplug) I pulled off the road shut it off waitied a few min turned it on and ran perfect....

When the RPM bottms out I can not start bike regularly. I have to give it a dec amount of gas or it will die. RPM has to be about 2k or above ...Whenever I stop now at a redlight I pull clutch in and keep the throttle cracked a little to keep rpm higher than normal or it will die...>THIS is driving me crazy and would love any suggestions.

Thanks again:toocool:

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
The 2003 and 2004 seemed to have a lot of throttle position sensor issues that caused random stalls. There is a free service manual for download in the maintainance section of the r6messagenet. (you don't have to sign up)
It will show you how to test the tps via the built in diagnostic feature.

Your symptoms are identical to what my buddy experienced with his 04

1 - 2 of 2 Posts