Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently just bought a full time track bike (06 R6) and still have some Dunlop 209GPA's laying around from my time with my street bike, 08 cbr1000rr. Does anyone around here run 190 wide on the stock rim and what is your experience? I am contemplating selling them or just running them. The bike still has its stock tires from 06 with 750 miles on them so I will be taking them off for sure before hitting the track.

I did some searching but didn't get any clear answers. Any help is appreciated.

·
Just a dumb racer..
792 Posts
209GPA's are the old control tyre here.

Normally I'd say don't run a 190 on them, but there's plenty of setup data for them.

FYI you'll want to run the same geometry for the 190 GPA as a 180 supercorsa.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I had 190's on my old r6 and they worked great. It is a little tight to fit in and get installed but they do work, and i like the feel of the 190 better then the 180

·
Just a dumb racer..
792 Posts
This isn't a 190/180 tyre question, Dunlop made these 190's with 600's in mind.

They won a contol tyre tender, and made up for the inferior grip by giving more rubber (190 instead of 180)

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
what's the ntec come in? the 190/55? if going from a 180/55 to a 190/55 you'd need to readjust your suspension geometry correct? in order to get that "fall in" feeling our bikes are so loved for?

or am i high? 190 decreases turn in capability unless the suspension is adjusted for it, correct?

·
Moderator Narcissist
18,899 Posts
I say ride 'em, man. Grind that rubber up and leave it on the track...

...then go get you a set of Shinkos.

·
Finally got one
17 Posts
I was thinking of running the 190 too, good thing I searched and found this thread. So as far as the 190 goes, it fits on the stock rim, may have to adjust suspension if you into that, have more grip due to more area than a 180. . . and I'm assuming it looks better too.:YEA

·
FastForward Performance
961 Posts
The Dunlop GP and GPA 190 is their 600 tire. It measures 1/2" wider than most of the 180s from other brands and 1/2" narrower than the other brands 190s. IMO there is not a better tire, bar none! Tdub

·
Next Mod, Engine!Roll On!
344 Posts
I ran a D211GP Racer 190 rear on my 06, thought it would kill me on acceleration on track, yet it was great and you could feel the lean angle being even lower than the 180

So go for it

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
I was thinking of running the 190 too, good thing I searched and found this thread. So as far as the 190 goes, it fits on the stock rim, may have to adjust suspension if you into that, have more grip due to more area than a 180. . . and I'm assuming it looks better too.:YEA
if you're putting on a 190 you need to get into suspension tweaking, as much as it would be nice you can't just slap on bigger tires expecting them to be better out of the gate these tires need setup.

rear should be around 295mm eye to eye for a good baseline setup. forks should be flush in the triple.

·
OMRRA #79
1,392 Posts
what's the ntec come in? the 190/55? if going from a 180/55 to a 190/55 you'd need to readjust your suspension geometry correct? in order to get that "fall in" feeling our bikes are so loved for?

or am i high? 190 decreases turn in capability unless the suspension is adjusted for it, correct?
if you're putting on a 190 you need to get into suspension tweaking, as much as it would be nice you can't just slap on bigger tires expecting them to be better out of the gate these tires need setup.

rear should be around 295mm eye to eye for a good baseline setup. forks should be flush in the triple.

When I went from a 180 Perelli to a 190 Dunlop I felt like I lost all my turn in until I got with the suspension guy! The main thing we did to get the feal back in the bike that I was used to was we jacked the back of the bike up. We put 4mm of ride height in the rear with a couple of shims on top of the shock and it made a world of diffrence. Now I can also tell you dont go back to the Perelli 180 rear with this set up from experience!:secret The bike was so unstable with the jacked up rear and the 180 that it was almost unrideable!

·
FastForward Performance
961 Posts
When I went from a 180 Perelli to a 190 Dunlop I felt like I lost all my turn in until I got with the suspension guy! The main thing we did to get the feal back in the bike that I was used to was we jacked the back of the bike up. We put 4mm of ride height in the rear with a couple of shims on top of the shock and it made a world of diffrence. Now I can also tell you dont go back to the Perelli 180 rear with this set up from experience!:secret The bike was so unstable with the jacked up rear and the 180 that it was almost unrideable!
I must have a faulty ruler as I measured the 190 Dunlop taller than the Pirelli, Michelin, and Conti 180s. Hmmm

·
OMRRA #79
1,392 Posts
I am not saying its not taller it might very well be I never did any measurments. I am just telling you what I experianced on my bike when I went from one to another. I can also tell you that after going to a 190 I no longer use all of my tire. On the 180's every bit of tire was in use right out to the edge, with the 190 I still have like 1/4inch of tire left that never hits the track.

·
FastForward Performance
961 Posts
I am not saying its not taller it might very well be I never did any measurments. I am just telling you what I experianced on my bike when I went from one to another. I can also tell you that after going to a 190 I no longer use all of my tire. On the 180's every bit of tire was in use right out to the edge, with the 190 I still have like 1/4inch of tire left that never hits the track.
We are talking about going from a 180 whatever to a 190 Dunlop GP correct? I wondered why if the Dunlop is taller, you had to raise the rear even more? Does not make any sense. Also with the 190 Dunlop on a 5.5" rim, if you are not using all the tire, it is not the tire size that is causing the problem. Are you running the GPs front and rear? Something doesn't add up here. We tried a set of 180 Micheline Power Ones this last weekend (which are shorter than the Dunlops) and I had to raise the rear to keep the same geometry, even with the PowerOne front. Tdub

·
OMRRA #79
1,392 Posts
Yes I was running the Pirelli Super Corsa 180/55 and went to the Dunlop GP 211 190/55. And yes I was running matching pairs at all times. I think its more of the way the profile of the tire gets from being on the narrow rim? Power Ones are about the only tire I never tried this year due to the fact only like 3 or 4 guys were running them up here and the support was kind of lacking this year.

·
OMRRA #79
1,392 Posts
And I can say when I got the setup squared away on the Dunlop 190 there was no way I was going to be running any thing else!

·
Finally got one
17 Posts
Suspension is one thing, but doesn't rider size/weight matter to that as well? I'm 5'6" a 155 lbs, with that in mind will your setup work for me? I can use your setup as a baseline and go from there I guess.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts