Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
EDIT: Sorry, title should say "190/50"

Yeah I know, I know, a 180/55 is superior to a 190/50, but I ran across a pretty good deal, a guy is selling some Pilot Powers he used once at the track. If I throw the 190/50 onto the rear of my R6, what will be some things I notice? I mainly do commuting, with some weekend trips to the canyons.

·
My R6 shoots tequila
1,487 Posts
There are a lot of people who prefer the feel of a 190. If you are riding a lot of canyon roads its probably not the way you want to go. For a lot of straits I would say go for it. From what I understand it feels a lot more stable.

·
08 Yamaha R6
3,057 Posts
I just went to the pilot power 2ct's and put a 190/50 on the rear, and the bike fells a million times better in the corners compared to the stock tires. I have not noticed, and delay in the turn compared to the 180, but with the stock 180 I was not comfortable going into sharp corners because the stock tires sucked.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just went to the pilot power 2ct's and put a 190/50 on the rear, and the bike fells a million times better in the corners compared to the stock tires. I have not noticed, and delay in the turn compared to the 180, but with the stock 180 I was not comfortable going into sharp corners because the stock tires sucked.
I think anything is better than the stock tires though, lol, assuming you're talking about the Dunlops. I think I'll go ahead and slap this 190/50 on here and see how it goes.

·
BACK
384 Posts
i should have wrote this is in the other thread butt after riding about 200 miles on the 190 the only thing that i can complain about is acceleration and deceleration more so on the acceleration...it really is noticeable when trying to accelerate fast i definetly have to shift quicker but everything else about the tire is a plus and i wont go back hope this helps some more

·
Registered
66 Posts
If you hit the twisties don't do it. I picked up a nail in my back 180/55/17 for money reasons I slapped my buddy's old 190/50/17 on. Rides different can feel it. Hit the local twisties and it takes the curve so much slower, and I can feel the tire pinching when I'm leaning. Not a good feeling at all. Plus I have this big chicken strip on the side that I can't stand looking at because in order to wear it down the bike would practically have to be laying on its side. Just a nuisance knowing if I had a 180 my tire would be to the edge. Well payday is today, so abck to the 180!

·
One Cheek On The Seat!
858 Posts
If you hit the twisties don't do it. I picked up a nail in my back 180/55/17 for money reasons I slapped my buddy's old 190/50/17 on. Rides different can feel it. Hit the local twisties and it takes the curve so much slower, and I can feel the tire pinching when I'm leaning. Not a good feeling at all. Plus I have this big chicken strip on the side that I can't stand looking at because in order to wear it down the bike would practically have to be laying on its side. Just a nuisance knowing if I had a 180 my tire would be to the edge. Well payday is today, so abck to the 180!

Turns in slower b/c you're running a 50 serious instead of a 55. a 190/55 is not much different than a 180/55 -- just a larger tire. It's heavier but the traction gain coming out of corners is better. It's all tradeoffs and personal preference.

·
Ride for you, not others.
229 Posts
Turns in slower b/c you're running a 50 serious instead of a 55. a 190/55 is not much different than a 180/55 -- just a larger tire. It's heavier but the traction gain coming out of corners is better. It's all tradeoffs and personal preference.
+1

I run a 190 on my track bike (05 R6) D209's but from what I am told you should only do so with race rubber and not regular street tires without changing the rim (they do not flex the same). Some of the AMA and world super bike guys run a 200 rear as well on 1000. I know the rim size is different though. Also I do have a small strip on the rear with the 190/55 even though I take it to decent lean angles.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts