Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok long story short i decided to troll some people and fabricated a 04 gsxr 1000 tail to my 06 R6S. well after getting all the parts and with some cutting i was able to install the tail and light to come into this problem. the r6s is a two wire setup while the 04 gsxr is a three wire setup. i have power going to the taillight now but cannot get the brake to engage and brighten the lights. i am at a complete lose here ladies and gents and i am not the greatest with electrical. any sound advice is appreciated. thank you in advance. i can upload pictures later if needed.

p.s . i already know i pissed off the motorcycle gods.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Well, I'm no electrical guru myself, but you need to figure out what that third wire does. If it's for braking it probably either A) activates additional bulbs or B) adjusts amp/voltage to all bulbs for changed brightness I'm guessing.
I think the r6 just dumps more power to the bulbs when you brake.
First get a wiring diagram for each and figure out what that third wire does.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The 04 GSXR-1000 uses bulbs with dual filaments which require a three wire setup. The 06 R6S uses LEDs for the tail light, so as mentioned it just sends more power to the brake light over the two wires. You would need a way of getting running light power (maybe from the license plate light circuit) and a brake light signal (not so sure how to pull that one off). Possibly use the stock brake wire but with some sort of filter that only let's the higher voltage through but doesn't exceed 12v. Total guessing if they even make something like that.

Another option... remove the LED panels from the R6S tail light and install it into the GSXR housing. I think they're a similar size and should work.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts