Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
2000 R6 (First Gen)
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Guys.
My 2000 R6 just decided to give me another issue.
My last issue was unrelated (brushes in starter motor).
My Bike is my daily commuter to work and back (about 20 minutes each way).
Its been running perfectly since I repaired the starter (about 2 weeks ago), and without fault for the previous 2 years.
It starts no problem, but it usually starts on only 3 cylinders, then surging between running on 3 and 4 cylinders until it reaches operating temp (about 80c)
Once it reaches 80C, it runs fine, but before that it will keep dropping out a cylinders, specially at low revs. This means it sometimes stalls when I stop at an intersection. It starts again straight away, but I have to bring the revs up a little higher to get the 4th cylinder to work(4K-5K), then I can take off.
Once at temp the engine runs perfectly at all revs.

I'm thinking a coil or maybe a plug. I understand the coils are built into the spark plug end of the HT leads? Is this correct?
I havnt taken a plug out yet, so its still running on at least 2 year old (at least 20,000 km old) plugs, leads etc... so I figure I should probably start by looking there.
I'm really hoping its not a cylinder low on compression (valve/rings etc), so Im thinking maybe my first move is to identify what cylinder is firing intermittently, then swap the plug and coil with a working cylinders plug and coil to see if the misbehaving cylinder moves.

Any comments?
Or do you think it may be something I have not considered?

Thanks in advance.

·
1st Gen R6 - Resurrecter
140 Posts
Sounds like you are on the right track.
Coils are coil on a plug and have been known to go bad.

Best way to figure out which cylinder isnt firing is to spay a little water on the header after it has warmed up.
The cylinders not working will be cooler.

Hope this helps.

·
~Faster Than Lightning~
1,025 Posts
Change out all the spark plugs dude. Save your self the trouble lol. I'm doing that this weekend too. Hope you figure out your problem. Please be aware that those R6 had coil recall.

·
2000 R6 (First Gen)
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK. Plugs and coils it is.
Thanks guys.
So some of the coils were recalled?
Interesting, but hay, its 16 years old so its really forgivable for one of them to fail even if they were supplied good.

Will do the needful on the weekend.
I'll let you know how it turns out.
PS. Its taking longer to run properly each day. Not much but noticeable.

Thanks again.

·
2000 R6 (First Gen)
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
True enough.
But I might change the plugs, then run the engine with the tank and airbox still off and a small source of fuel. if it runs OK, great. if it still has the miss then I might see if my wrecked old 1996 YZF600 has the same coils and just temporarily change one out to see if the problem goes away.
But then again, it its not the plugs and the issue moves if I swap the bad cylinder coil with a good cylinder coil, I have my answer.

What plugs do you guys recommend? I've been looking at the stock NGK CR10EK plugs, but I've been thinking about Iridium plugs. Longer lasting, etc but are they really worth the difference in price?
I guess I should put that question in a new post, after looking to see if anyone has already answered that question of course.

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,393 Posts
.....I might see if my wrecked old 1996 YZF600 has the same coils and just temporarily change one out to see if the problem goes away.......
Not even close to the same type coils. The YZF has two cols that each fire two cylinders. The R6 has individual coil packs, individually fired by the ECU, one for each cylinder

·
2000 R6 (First Gen)
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah - I just discovered that. :)
Oh well...
Does anyone have the resistance primary and secondary values that I should be able to measure across the coils?
I've pulled the coils out to find I have about 0.6 ohms on the primaries on all 4, but I cant see to get a reading on the secondaries on any of the coils
Primary reading taken across the 2 connectors on top of the coil.
Secondary taken from the right most top connector (looking straight at it) and the spark plug connector at the base of the coil.
No reading? I cant understand that! Its like no connection at all on any of the coils. Bike should not run! ???
I also checked the left most connector and the bottom with no results either. I understand thats wrong, but I had to check anyway :)
I have removed the lower boot and while to connector seems a little grubby (some sort of grease used during assembly by the looks of things), it does seem ok

I found some values on youtube for a 07 R6, being
Primaries 1.19-1.16
Secondaries 8.5-11.5
I would have thought that the differences between the years would have been negligible given they are basically the same type.

·
2000 R6 (First Gen)
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Well, a header heat test reveled that Cylinder one was cold!
Swapped just cylinder 1 coil with cylinder 2, problem stayed with Cylinder 1, so not a coil.
Went to pull cylinder 1 plug and ... what? it was loose, about 1/4 turn.
Went to tighten it up and yeah, not a good feeling. Its slowly getting tighter. I stopped.
I've had to deal with a stripped spark plug thread on a alloy block once before. Dont want to repeat the experience.
Its not what I would call properly seated, but I think its just tight enough. Now I dont want to take it out as thats just more wear and tear on the possibly 3/4 stripped threads.
I left it in and checked the other plugs. All were loose, but not finger tight. I tightened them all a little, not much.
I buttoned it all back up and the bike is definitely running better, if not perfect.
Took it for a run around to a mates place only about 5 minutes away. Seem to run ok, just the occational miss.
Talked for over an hour before jumping back on the bike. its still not quite right (Cylinder 1 is dropping in and out) but not nearly as much, and not to the same level of effect (not as larger a drop in revs, so more a misfire rather than a no-fire if you can understand what I mean).
Went for a ride, run a bit shit while it was very cold, but once it warmed to about 30c (1-2 minutes of running) it stopped missbehaving.
for a few more minutes I could hear it missfire, but it cleaned up quick enough, much quicker than it has been doing over the last few days.

I never did take the plug out to check it, so I dont know if its chocked up, but I think maybe thats why its still running a little rough. I'm hopping a bit of a run tomorrow will clear the plug.
Might be asking a bit much there, not sure.
Might have to take the plug out and clean/replace it.
I've got another set on the way, I was hoping they would arrive before today, but that didnt happen.

Going to take it for a ride to work tomorrow about the same time as I would normally during the week. I know about when it normally starts running well, and the temp will be about the same, so should get a good idea if its running MUCH better of just a little better. Will also take it for a longer run to a bike shop and get more plugs if its still playing up.
Its an older bike, but from what I know its been given regular oil changes and not beaten senseless, so its 60,000 Km (37K Miles?) shouldnt have hurt the valve train or rings too much.

I'll let you guys know how it runs in the morning and what I find if I get game and pull cylinder 1 plug.

·
2000 R6 (First Gen)
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bike still runs like shit till its warmed up - now that I've had more time to ride and compare what it was like before... I realise its just the same as before.
It SEEMED to run better but I now think that was wishful thinking.
Still waiting for plugs to arrive (should have purchased them local and waited a day for them to come in, instead of saving $15 by buying them from another state... cos they got sent to the wrong place).
As soon as they arrive, I will be pulling the old ones, taking a good look at them but putting in new ones regardless.
If I have to loctite that first one in, then so be it.
Hoping the plugs rock up today.

·
2000 R6 (First Gen)
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Changed the plugs and its all running sweet again!
Looking at the plugs, they all looked dirty, but plug 1 was really fowled up.
Looking at the top of the carbs, I did notice that carb 1 had some old fuel around the top of it.
I cleaned it away and didnt think any more of it at the time.
But now, I think that carb 1 is probably flooding occasionally.
That would explain plug 1 getting fowled, running too rich.
I'll check the top of carb 1 again in a week or so to see if its got more fuel around it again. If it has, I probably have a needle and seat problem.
Guess I gotta expect them sorts of issues with a carb bike that age.
I dont get the best of economy, but then its not too bad either. I did notice once that i got much better power and economy after giving it a bit of a hiding in the lower gears (3rd I think) on a long straight road.
Maybe I should do that more often?! That may also bring me into contact with the law. Guess I'll just have to be careful.

Thanks for the help guys.

·
2000 R6 (First Gen)
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
And switch out for a fuel injected bike when you get tired of that one bro :p
thats on the cards. Plan is next bike will be a 2008 or later R6 or R1 (I believe thats the first year they went full fly-by-wire everything (and injected started before then of course).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts