Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Guys.
My 2000 R6 just decided to give me another issue.
My last issue was unrelated (brushes in starter motor).
My Bike is my daily commuter to work and back (about 20 minutes each way).
Its been running perfectly since I repaired the starter (about 2 weeks ago), and without fault for the previous 2 years.
It starts no problem, but it usually starts on only 3 cylinders, then surging between running on 3 and 4 cylinders until it reaches operating temp (about 80c)
Once it reaches 80C, it runs fine, but before that it will keep dropping out a cylinders, specially at low revs. This means it sometimes stalls when I stop at an intersection. It starts again straight away, but I have to bring the revs up a little higher to get the 4th cylinder to work(4K-5K), then I can take off.
Once at temp the engine runs perfectly at all revs.

I'm thinking a coil or maybe a plug. I understand the coils are built into the spark plug end of the HT leads? Is this correct?
I havnt taken a plug out yet, so its still running on at least 2 year old (at least 20,000 km old) plugs, leads etc... so I figure I should probably start by looking there.
I'm really hoping its not a cylinder low on compression (valve/rings etc), so Im thinking maybe my first move is to identify what cylinder is firing intermittently, then swap the plug and coil with a working cylinders plug and coil to see if the misbehaving cylinder moves.

Any comments?
Or do you think it may be something I have not considered?

Thanks in advance.
If anyone is still looking for a possible solution to 1 or 2 cylinders not firing one possible solution is a Vaccum leak. I confirmed this as I had the same issue. I removed the airbox, placed my hand over each opening of each carb, and the one not running was able to suck in fuel and fired right up. I also sprayed some carb cleaner on each boot and wahlah, fired right up. I will be purchasing 4 new boots and will post results. In conclusion, check for a Vaccum leak. All I see is replace the coils, clean the carbs for the 8th time, replace spark plugs, compression, plugs blah blah blah etc. Etc. Could be an easy fix with new boots.

·
Registered
115 Posts
If anyone is still looking for a possible solution to 1 or 2 cylinders not firing one possible solution is a Vaccum leak. I confirmed this as I had the same issue. I removed the airbox, placed my hand over each opening of each carb, and the one not running was able to suck in fuel and fired right up. I also sprayed some carb cleaner on each boot and wahlah, fired right up. I will be purchasing 4 new boots and will post results. In conclusion, check for a Vaccum leak. All I see is replace the coils, clean the carbs for the 8th time, replace spark plugs, compression, plugs blah blah blah etc. Etc. Could be an easy fix with new boots.
Sometimes you can bring the boots back with a mixture of wintergreen oil and alchohol. Makes them supple again.

Then again, sometimes they are cracked.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts