Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, im new to the fourm just wondering if you guys can help me out.

I have a 99 R6, things have been going good up untill last week. For some reason my bike wont charge while im riding. I will be riding for about 25km's and everything quits, lights go out no speedometer etc.... I turn it off then back on and all I get is click click click...... I put it on the charger, in about 12 hours im good to go again, but same thing I get about 20-25km's.

I have a new battery in it, It gives me perfect reading on the tester....

Can anyone help me out on this one,

Thanks

·
My R6 has returned!!
1,930 Posts
Check your charging system - the generator (stator and rotor) and the rectifier. Rectifier is easiest to check first, follow the cable from the rectifier till you find the white connector. It connects to the stator, disconnect and see if it's burnt, or if the rectifier is damaged. It'll most likely be either the rectifier or the plug to the stator.

·
R-Sex
422 Posts
As stated, rectifier would be my first guess. check that because its real easy to get to. If it's not that, move on to the stator. its gotta be one of those two. good luck, let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, obviously my mechanic at the local shop doesnt know what he's talking about. He told me today that I need a new ignition..... So I am going to get myself a new R/R and a Stator. Since I dont want to pay the shop $100 an hour, how hard are they to install? Does anyone have any tips or diagrams? What will I need to install it? I am all new to the electrical part sorry.

Thanks Again Guys!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Same thing happend to me. My rectifier went bad. I wouldnt drive it like that if I were you, cause that thing will get hot and start burning wires..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts