Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
once in a while, i take my bike out late at night. about four blocks from where i live, there is a left turn at a stop light that i must make. its hard to get it to signal being on a motorcycle. and usually that late at night there are no cars. would anyone run the light if the coast was clear?

·
AFM #327
15,209 Posts
i usually take a right and then try to make a u-turn.... or go staight and then u-turn and then right... if all else is not an option... check if the coast is clear and turn left... dunno about others...
the thing is.. i've seen cops let harley riders drive off and get the sportbike guy... so i'm double careful to watch fer cops..

·
$4 a gal. 4 gal. a shot
933 Posts
If your bike doesn't trip the signal and you wait a whole cycle to make sure it doesn't then here it is legal to go through it. Had to do it last weekend at a left turn.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If your bike doesn't trip the signal and you wait a whole cycle to make sure it doesn't then here it is legal to go through it. Had to do it last weekend at a left turn.
i wonder if CA is like that. i've actually ran the light twice already.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
There was some other thread about this a while back with a link for a traffic light sensor tripper. I bought one and it works. Trips the traffic lights so I'm not waiting forever or going through red lights.

·
Registered
350 Posts
once in a while, i take my bike out late at night. about four blocks from where i live, there is a left turn at a stop light that i must make. its hard to get it to signal being on a motorcycle. and usually that late at night there are no cars. would anyone run the light if the coast was clear?
As long as there is no traffic I would definitely run it. What I also do is take alternate routes at times where I know I won't get stuck in that situation (if that's possible for you). I've been at lights where I have to pull forward into the crosswalk so that the car behind me can move forward to trigger the light.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've done it myself a time or two when I couldn't trip the light. I was on my way to work (about 5:45am), so I wasn't too worried about it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
yeah ive done it a couple of times but i had to wait like 3 cycle before going through the red light plus i made sure theres no oncoming traffic and cops or cameras around. i almost bought that thing where you stick it underneath your bike and its suppose to trigger the bike. i went to the store to buy it and was surprised that its just a magnet and it costs like 25 bucks, so i didnt get it. maybe will put a magnet soon and see if it works.

·
Dan the man
292 Posts
usually ill let a car pull up close behind me and trigger it, if there are a lot of cars out....if noones around ill run it-being extremely careful about oncoming traffic and cops

·
Hey Guy
5,290 Posts
In California, the legal process is to wait three cycles. Then, it is legal to run it. That's what they told me when i took the Beginners Riding Course which was taught by a retired cop.
I usually pull forward to let the car behind me trip the sensor too. But, if a car never comes, you just have to wait.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
if it doesn't turn i run it then again i know the cops in this town and all my paperwork is always inline i've done it down in austin alot but i'm really careful no ones around as long as your respectul i dont think they'd harass you to much but you never know

besides that extra 30 seconds may save you from who knows what

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
In California, the legal process is to wait three cycles. Then, it is legal to run it. That's what they told me when i took the Beginners Riding Course which was taught by a retired cop.
I usually pull forward to let the car behind me trip the sensor too. But, if a car never comes, you just have to wait.
three cycles...that seems pretty long.

·
Banned
212 Posts
yeah in dallas there are tons of lights like that i run one on a daily basis. i was too was wondering what the legalities of it are. any cops on here that can advise?

·
Registered
264 Posts
i have to run lights alllll the time, usually i try to only run it if its real late at night. never during the day or when cars are around

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
you know i was looking at texas laws today and i couldn't find anything about lane splitting being ILLEGAL it never even mentions it in the penal code

food for thought

1 - 20 of 24 Posts