Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have a 2004 Yamaha R6. It has a moderate oil leak and I suspected it was coming from the valve cover, therefore, I took off the throttle body to get a better look at the back left portion of the valve cover. However, it turned out there was no oil coming from any part of the upper engine.
After putting everything back together the bike runs very rough both at idle and when on the throttle. Also, there is a puff of white smoke that comes out of the exhaust after the bike is revved up to about 8000 rpm and then let off.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Sounds like it isn't burning all of your fuel. (white smoke) Read your spark plugs and check that they're appropriately gapped; clean. Test your ignition coils. There are two tests, diagnostic mode with a spark gap tester and reading resistances. Make sure you have a good batch of premium fuel and pressure. The service manual will have vacuum and compression information.

·
Touchdown!
1,288 Posts
Check your coolant level as well as your oil to see if its been contaminated with water or coolant. You're either burning oil or coolant. Both are bad situations, so be optimistic for the former with no ring problems. It could be in need of new valve guides.

BTW, how many miles on her?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She has 45k miles and doesn't appear to be maintained very well, but I got her cheap. And what are good spots to check for where coolant could be getting in, I a still pretty new to bikes.

·
Registered
40 Posts
No such thing as white smoke coming from an IC engine. You either have white steam (coolant), grey smoke, (oil), or black smoke (fuel).

Sounds almost like you forgot a vacuum line. Especially if it wasn’t running this way before. A lil puff of grey smoke (oil) isn’t that big of a deal if it’s minor. If your losing oil because of blow by (more grey smoke out of the exhaust) might be time to look at a new bike.

If it were me, I’d double check all the vacuum lines and hoses. Then I’d pull the plugs looking for oil on them.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
No such thing as white smoke coming from an IC engine. You either have white steam (coolant), grey smoke, (oil), or black smoke (fuel). ......................
The smell of the exhaust is what tells the story. Across different vehicles, I've personally witnessed all conditions. Rather than making assumptions about what it is or isn't, part of *our* questioning should be, "what does it smell like". I've seen/smelled white smoke in the form of oil, fuel and coolant. Each of course, smell distinctively different. (rode around two today who were burning white smoke as oil) The fuel I witnessed was brief. Black, I recall witnessing from diesels, two-strokes, coal burning steam engines and "old man" town cars that probably hadn't seen sudden acceleration since 2015.

·
Touchdown!
1,288 Posts
Smell is a serious give away.

A bike running lean or rich vs one burning oil vs one burning coolant will be very distinct, and even the average person can tell which is which. Buring coolant smells like fruit coming from an exhaust. Oil smells like ��. Fuel smells like something fast, ��. The only problem is, people that run at the track don't really use 'coolant.' We run distilled water or some other varient.

If you are unsure of the exact color, place a white cloth/towel in front of the exhaust, and let the exaust smoke soak into the towel/cloth (don't completely cover the exhuast, it still has to breathe). Look at the cloth/towel after about 20 seconds, and that will help identify the color of what's escaping.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well, to tell you my story - I got a massive oil leak into the airbox, white smoke was comming from the between of the headlights, smelled like burnt oil with fuel. If its coolant - it smells sweet, if oil/gasoline - smells heavy.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I had white smoke thing with my Bandit when I rejetted but forgot to install a jet in one of the carbs- turned that cylinder into more or less a gas pump and made clouds of white smoke- filled up the garage like fog, all came out of the exhaust.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts