Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
put down the cell phone
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy, recently had a unfortunate experience. While driving home on my 05 R6 with ~ 17k miles and recent oil change, the low oil warning light came on. It has never done this. I was cruising at ~ 45 mph, quickly shifted into 6th gear and slowed to ~ 30 mph assuming nothing catastrophic had happened and I could limp home. With in 30 seconds the engine shut off, not making any "interesting" sounds. Pulling over, putting the kick stand down I saw alot of oil pouring out onto the ground. Further inspection found my drain plug missing!

My question, as I have not purchased a new plug yet to refil with oil, am I screwed?

Thanks

Bill

·
R6 Pilot
783 Posts
who changed ur oil last? did ur 'engine seized' light come on? :(

·
Team: Teletubby racing
21,003 Posts
mother F**ker who did your oil....and don't say you did it by yourself :nono
you probably should flush your oil and check if you have any debris coming out.

·
Registered
107 Posts
yea i see this taking a quick downward spiral. post three days from now..
"i put fresh oil in and double checked the plug. When i goto start the motor just grunts and doenst turn over."

Good luck m8!

·
Premium Member
8,144 Posts

·
Intermediate Knee Dragger
1,309 Posts
If you mean that the engine shut itself off before you did, then you're screwed.

If you shut it off, you might possibly have a slight chance of maybe not needing a new engine.

Either way, whoever did the oil change needs to be made aware of it.

·
USC
552 Posts
1st thing. find out who changed ur oil.
sue their ass.

if u did it urself. shame on u.
jk

to me from what im reading
ur GG.

running an engine w/o oil is the worse thing u can do.
running an engine w/o oil till it siezes = death.

good luck man. i hope u get a new engine. :thumbdown

·
put down the cell phone
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gentlemen, I appreciate your replies. Unfortunatly I did change the oil, however I did torque the bolt back on but did not have a new crush washer and used the same one, which i have been informed to taboo.

The engine did shut off by itself, however I have to assume the electric fuel pump is linked to the low oil pressure switch, eventhough scouring the owner's manul turned up nothing on that subject.

Also, wouldn't you figure, if the engine did sieze, the back wheel would have locked up? I did not feel it do this.

Fingers are crossed, have to trek to punta gorda to get another plug. Will be fixing Thursday night.

Thanks

·
Registered
107 Posts
well the wheel will move in neutral still cause there is no resistance however if its in gear the tire should lock regardless unless u push it hard enough then the motor will turn as the wheel is turning.

·
put down the cell phone
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well i was in 6th with the clutch engaged, after the engine shut off, it took me ~ 2 seconds to realize what was going on and to pull the clutch. In that time I didn't feel any rear wheel lock up, so i remain hopeful. Thanks

·
Banned
441 Posts
That's just tough to call. Your gonna have to run it to find out. But the second you get a check engine light you should kill the bike. See the thing you gotta worry about now is that you could very easily have damaged crank or rod bearings. And it might start up and last 100 miles before that bearing decides to go. Its a gamble. If it were my motor and i had the same thing happen and it started up id replace the bearings no matter what bc that ll be cheaper than blowing the motor...

·
Registered
107 Posts
yea my guess would be bottom end bearings went first if anything. and liek he said might run fine for a while but all of a sudden when a bearing goes they all will go.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Get a new oil plug, and see what happens when you put some new oil in the engine. If it starts and runs good and you dont hear any strange engine noises, maybe you caught it in time. As said before though some damage may not show up for a few hundred miles. On the other hand the damage may be minor and your engine could last a long time.

For me, if I didnt hear any strange engine sounds I would ride it and keep an eye on it for a few hundred miles. If it blows just put a new engine in and call it a lesson learned the hard way.

·
put down the cell phone
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
got the oil and plug yesterday, was going to perform the necessary surgery, but my TV caught on fire....this is not my week...and no i didn't work on my tv...

1 - 20 of 44 Posts