Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
20k+ miles, ECU flash, blah, blah, blah...
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my 08 r6 gas tank lined with a sealant to prevent rust. Had it done about 4yrs ago. I was draining the old gas out of tank to refill with fresh fuel and stabilizer. I can't tell if this is rust.
There's 3 colors in the tank. The red is the sealant (red kote I think).
The dark brown? I don't kno
The tan I think is rust?
Let me know
I believe the 1st pic is at bottom of tank and 2nd pic is right under gas cap at top of tankr

Attachments

· Premium Member
2005 YZF-R6
91 Posts
That's some awkward stuff that I wouldn't want cycling in my fuel system; just keep scouting ebay for cheap used tanks.

But to keep you rolling down the road, pretty sure the best option you have is a fuel system safe cleaner (more fuel is typically an effective option) and some awkward shaped brushes

· Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's some awkward stuff that I wouldn't want cycling in my fuel system; just keep scouting ebay for cheap used tanks.

But to keep you rolling down the road, pretty sure the best option you have is a fuel system safe cleaner (more fuel is typically an effective option) and some awkward shaped brushes
Ya, I was thinking about taking tank off, removing fuel pump to get a better idea and try to clean it the best I can. Haven't had any response issues. I'll try a fuel system cleaner. Thanks

· Registered
4,095 Posts
FleaBay unfortunately is where everyone goes to get rid of their junk. 9/10 the tank you get will be no better off or worse than the one you have... and most importantly they will hide that fact. So you won't find that out until you get it... which just wastes your time and money.

· UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,628 Posts
I actually remember hearing this before, at least do some research down this path
I’ve salvaged a couple bikes with this method. One I’ve them had stopped running and was parked for seven years. By the time I was asked to get it running again, I figured out that it had stopped running originally because the petcock was plugged up with rust….then it got seven years of additional rust in the tank. Four or five cycles of EvapoRust soaking over night then shaking, it went out to f my garage looking like a new tank

· YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,695 Posts
If you have electrolysis, it will clean the rust off. Make sure you fully understand the process before you attempt it. 2017+ are aluminum tanks. I wonder if it would fit. New my tank is $1500 so used might be a premium price.

· Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I’ve salvaged a couple bikes with this method. One I’ve them had stopped running and was parked for seven years. By the time I was asked to get it running again, I figured out that it had stopped running originally because the petcock was plugged up with rust….then it got seven years of additional rust in the tank. Four or five cycles of EvapoRust soaking over night then shaking, it went out to f my garage looking like a new tank
What can I use to clog the whole at bottom of gas tank and top of gas tank so I can use the evaporust?

· UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,628 Posts
The gas cap for the top. For the bottom, you’ll have to get your fabricator skills out. Maybe a sheet of rubber cut to the same size as the bolt on ring? TBH, I don’t think EvapoRust will damage the fuel pump, but if you have to use nuts and bolts to agitate, they might damage the pump assembly. But looking at you pics, I don’t think that looks bad enough that you’d need nuts and bolts

· Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The gas cap for the top. For the bottom, you’ll have to get your fabricator skills out. Maybe a sheet of rubber cut to the same size as the bolt on ring? TBH, I don’t think EvapoRust will damage the fuel pump, but if you have to use nuts and bolts to agitate, they might damage the pump assembly. But looking at you pics, I don’t think that looks bad enough that you’d need nuts and bolts
Ok I just ordered some evaporust and should be here by the 19th. I'm gunna leave fuel pump out to be safe. all the rust is at the bottom and the corners.
I notice evaporrust has a spray to help prevent rust. Should I use that or a type of sealant??

· UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,628 Posts
Once you get the rust out, just keep gas in it. If you are storing the tank empty, fog it with WD-40 and tape up the holes, or put the pump and cap on

· Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I used a 32oz bottle of evapor rust.
  • Red Arrow is light rust that was removed
  • Yellow Arrow is heavy rust that made it's way thru the tank liner.
2nd pic is gas tank showing
I ended up peeling the majority of the red tank liner off. The heavy rust remains on tank. I added nuts and bolts, let it sit, shook it here and there.
I washed tank out and I used a blower to dry it faster. It's in my room air drying with fuel pump after washing. The liner is still in there in areas I can't reach to peel.
Do I fill the tank with evapo rust to remove rest of liner?
Do I leave it alone and pray small particles don't get into my fuel system?
Did I screw myself by peeling the liner off?

Attachments

· Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Is it ok if there's a little water that gets into fuel system( not a lot just a tiny bit)? After washing the evapo rust out with water, have to let it air dry and no way I can all water out. I think it's called flash rust? As soon as parts of tank dry while some are wet the flash rust starts right away. It's impossible to get it dry, add gas before rust starts.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts