Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on a salvaged 2008 YZF R6S and the first time we really worked on the bike, we replaced the stator cover that was cracked. It didn't come cracked, but was hit in the parking lot is my guess.

We got fairings off and got into it. Was a big deal to change this out, took us like half the day just because we had to feel our way through this.

Anyway, we noticed the coolant tank looked dark and gross. There was a bunch of sediment, goop, dirt gunk and like rust or such in it. Cleaned it nicely and filled it up with engine ice. Looked good.

During inspection of the bike as we took it apart for LED lights to be put on (an absolute nightmare to get this brake LED function working and still need help, see my other post please. Begging you. ) and see the tank again is dark and grimy.

Less sediment and not as muddy or murky, but still gross. I don't mind getting dirty, but I like to take care of my stuff.

What is going on. Big noob here, I've got not much mechanical knowledge but understand basic concepts.

It's clearly coming from inside the bike as even the straw for coolant is dripping with a muddy color substance as well as coolant.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Same bike. The stator cover gets cracked in a wreck. I maintain my fluids and have nothing close to that. But at roughly 30, 45 and 60k there was some sediment in there. It was clean around 10 or 20k. I believe it's mostly rubber from the hoses in the system. Nothing to worry about in my case. But the cause of what you're looking at, is purely mal-maintenance... the bike sat... the coolant got old... picked up corrosion from internal parts.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Having had experiences with GM's Dexcool in a '96 Saturn SC2, I can tell you that power flushing and power flushing and power flushing and flushing again while flushing flushing flushing flushing and perhaps for good measure, flushing it again... does little. When it gets that bad, anything beyond the first couple of flushes is a waste. Cleaning either requires time, friction and/or part replacement. As long as it performs the job and there aren't any hot-spots, no worries. But our bike uses cooling system pressure to adjust idle air function on the throttle body... and that little cylinder * might * be susceptible to cooling system filth.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Having had experiences with GM's Dexcool in a '96 Saturn SC2, I can tell you that power flushing and power flushing and power flushing and flushing again while flushing flushing flushing flushing and perhaps for good measure, flushing it again... does little. When it gets that bad, anything beyond the first couple of flushes is a waste. Cleaning either requires time, friction and/or part replacement. As long as it performs the job and there aren't any hot-spots, no worries. But our bike uses cooling system pressure to adjust idle air function on the throttle body... and that little cylinder * might * be susceptible to cooling system filth.
What's a Hotspot and where do you find them? How do you?

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Can't really know whether they're there or not until a catastrophic failure, such as cracked head. But that virtually never happens based on what I've seen in the forums. Infrared temperature reader or camera are the tools used to locate hot-spots. But you also have have something normal to compare to.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can't really know whether they're there or not until a catastrophic failure, such as cracked head. But that virtually never happens based on what I've seen in the forums. Infrared temperature reader or camera are the tools used to locate hot-spots. But you also have have something normal to compare to.
What's normal though? What should it be?

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Just do a couple of good power flushes and don't worry about it until there's a problem.
Space out your next couple of flushes by a couple of months.
You can remove the radiator along with the reservoir bottle and do additional cleaning independent of the engine.
Warning: An Inevitable Radiator Leak at Hoses
I forgot that debris is also paint.
The little cylinder I mentioned, can also be removed and independently cleaned. Just make sure you don't change the stop-screw.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just do a couple of good power flushes and don't worry about it until there's a problem.
Space out your next couple of flushes by a couple of months.
You can remove the radiator along with the reservoir bottle and do additional cleaning independent of the engine.
Warning: An Inevitable Radiator Leak at Hoses
I forgot that debris is also paint.
The little cylinder I mentioned, can also be removed and independently cleaned. Just make sure you don't change the stop-screw.
View attachment 376730
I'll have to Google about 80%of that to make smarty of it and pull a couple of you tube videos to see what's what, but definitely. Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Working on a salvaged 2008 YZF R6S and the first time we really worked on the bike, we replaced the stator cover that was cracked. It didn't come cracked, but was hit in the parking lot is my guess.

We got fairings off and got into it. Was a big deal to change this out, took us like half the day just because we had to feel our way through this.

Anyway, we noticed the coolant tank looked dark and gross. There was a bunch of sediment, goop, dirt gunk and like rust or such in it. Cleaned it nicely and filled it up with engine ice. Looked good.

During inspection of the bike as we took it apart for LED lights to be put on (an absolute nightmare to get this brake LED function working and still need help, see my other post please. Begging you. ) and see the tank again is dark and grimy.

Less sediment and not as muddy or murky, but still gross. I don't mind getting dirty, but I like to take care of my stuff.

What is going on. Big noob here, I've got not much mechanical knowledge but understand basic concepts.

It's clearly coming from inside the bike as even the straw for coolant is dripping with a muddy color substance as well as coolant
r

It's clearly coming from inside the bike as even the straw for coolant is dripping with a muddy color substance as well as coolant.
, run some vinegar through it for about 5 minutes then drain.

·
2 wheels > 4 wheels
100 Posts
Head gaskets maybe? Do some compression tests on the cylinders - if there's a crack somewhere, it might detect it. No guarantee, but worth a try.
Take a good look at the head gasket - that can tell you a lot.
The engine is aluminum, so it shouldn't rust. I'd recommend replacing all polymer hoses with new ones. If I remember correctly, most of the gaskets are metals (copper), so that shouldn't decompose. But check to see if they're polymers or metals.

·
2 wheels > 4 wheels
100 Posts
Just to add to it, mine is a 2005. The only polymer hoses I have ever had to replace are the brake lines. All the rest are still from 2005. No decomposition yet at all. My primary suspicion is the head gasket.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts