Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Only way I can see someone doing that is if they replaced the factory key/ignition with a toggle on/off switch. Seems they safety wired this so they don't accidetally flip it while on the track. Not sure if different racing orgs would find that acceptable or not though.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
you couldn't have it in place while racing, nor would you want it on while racing or even riding.. but it's a good idea, that i see done fairly often so you don't arrive with a dead battery when transporting the bike. Just leave enough wire length to clip it elsewhere when running.

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts
you couldn't have it in place while racing, nor would you want it on while racing or even riding.. but it's a good idea, that i see done fairly often so you don't arrive with a dead battery when transporting the bike. Just leave enough wire length to clip it elsewhere when running.
Why, people can still turn it off with the key. I thought the whole point of it was so you wouldn't turn it off onaccident on the track

·
Reads the rulez
2,252 Posts
Why, people can still turn it off with the key. I thought the whole point of it was so you wouldn't turn it off onaccident on the track
Or in my case when you and your buddies take turn buzzing by and flipping your kill switch as they scoot on by.

Assholes.

:bowroll

·
Make good choices.
2,808 Posts
The purpose of a kill switch that is accessible with both hands on the bars it to shut down the motor if you need to. The most common reason would be the throttle is stuck open. Yes, the key will also turn it off. But taking one hand off the bars and attempting to turn the key while you are headed off the track at full speed is going to increase the likely hood of a crash.

·
Make good choices.
2,808 Posts
Or in my case when you and your buddies take turn buzzing by and flipping your kill switch as they scoot on by.

Assholes.

:bowroll
That's probably my favorite thing to do to my friends in the hot pit. Roll by and hit it. Or even better is when you are sitting at the grid waiting for your session to begin; as soon as the starter says "ok, go" hit their kill switch and take off. :laugh

·
Make good choices.
2,808 Posts
I have that on my track bike with keyless ignition, the clip is only in place during transport so the ignition isn't accidently turned on which would drain the battery.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
But then yours would be the opposite of that picture, right? Look at the photo again, it's set up so that the ignition can't be turned OFF.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
if you are turning it off on track on "accident" .. well.. you have a bigger skill set problem ;)
As dub pointed out, fore safety reasons, you need a kill switch that will not require extra steps to operate for track riding/racing. Not just your own safety, but others in the event of it going haywire or reving out of control after a crash. No way should you be wiring the kill switch open while ON track.

·
I get paid to get high
735 Posts
I've seen the switch wired open on a track bike at a shop in my area... wondered why, forgot about it until meow.

·
Reads the rulez
2,252 Posts
I have that on my track bike with keyless ignition, the clip is only in place during transport so the ignition isn't accidently turned on which would drain the battery.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Do you have gremlins that live in your trailer that would flip the switch?

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
I guess I'm just looking for more stuff to safety wire on my bike for ccs:) thanks for the reply
it's not a bad idea.. especially for transport, especially if you have an ignition switch on the left side bar in place of the stock key. the clip we had (when i used em) had a red tag that said "REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT" .. the muffler plugs often have the same tag. THis way it's way harder to not forget to remove them.

·
Reads the rulez
2,252 Posts
Why would you want to safety wire more stuff? Safety wire is a pain in the ass. Wire what is required and move on.
Sounds so lazy...but yes, I agree. :bowroll

·
Reads the rulez
2,252 Posts
Do you use a muffler plug? I honestly don't know what they are supposed to do?
I file those under the category of "most useless shit ever".

I've hardly ever seen them on street bikes, but knew a ton of fellow dirt bike riders that used them. I wasn't part of the cool kids club, I never used one because I thought they were dumb.

I'm curious as well, because I've never heard one legit reason to use one. Kinda like the big ass tow hooks on ricers...dumb.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts