Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One thing, a lot of people overlook when dealing with motorcycles and cars is the cooling system! I thought, I'd chance that and upgrade my cooling system with some Samco radiator hoses, Graves WORKS radiator cap and Engine Ice coolant!

I know Riders Discount sells Samco radiator hoses, but they only sell blue and red! I wanted black (How is black a custom color?), so I had to order them from across the pond with Lindsay West at RaceBikeBitzUSA in the UK! Ordered on 4|27 (Fri) and got them on 5|29 (Tues) along with some Samco hose clamps...

Ordered the Graves WORKS radiator cap from Skip at Graves! For those who don't know, the purpose of an aftermarket radiator cap is
designed to keep your engine from overheating by maintaining a higher pressure inside the cooling system thus increasing the boiling point of your coolant.

And, the Engine Ice, I ordered though Amazon! Brought a case of 4 for $72! $18 a case for those who aren't good at math! :lmao

Of course, I flushed out all the old coolant in the system, took 3 times to flush out the system...

The Samco radiator hoses installed...

Graves WORKS radiator cap and Engine Ice in the reserve...

So glad to do a coolant flush and upgrade the cooling system with the install of hoses, cap and new coolant! Rode the bike for the first time since the install and the bike runs so much cooler! Yes, the fans did come on one time waiting at a red light, it's summer time in Florida, the fans are going to come on regardless, but it took a lot longer for the temp to rise to 212! On average, the temp was in the low to mid 170s which is very good in 90 mid afternoon Florida heat!

Anyone thinking of upgrading their cooling system, should look into some Samco rad hoses, Graves WORKS rad cap and some Engine Ice! An A+ triple threat! :flex:

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Sherman Connoisseur
26,407 Posts
Very nice!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've thought about doing this myself, I already run water wetter though. My question is about the cap, I know you said it allows higher pressure to keep from overheating but the pressure stamped on the top is 1.0 bar where as the stock oem is 1.1. This would mean the stock actually allows a higher pressure then the aftermarket or am I completely reading it wrong? Like I said I've been thinking about doing it but was curious about the pressure difference.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Parts Pimp
26,370 Posts
Nice write up OP! I can't believe you waited a month for Samco hoses!! :eek5 You're the most patient member this forum has, I swear!

:cheers

I've thought about doing this myself, I already run water wetter though. My question is about the cap, I know you said it allows higher pressure to keep from overheating but the pressure stamped on the top is 1.0 bar where as the stock oem is 1.1. This would mean the stock actually allows a higher pressure then the aftermarket or am I completely reading it wrong? Like I said I've been thinking about doing it but was curious about the pressure difference.

That clearly looks like 1.8 bar to me

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

The Graves cap is 1.8! :secret

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice write up OP! I can't believe you waited a month for Samco hoses!! :eek5 You're the most patient member this forum has, I swear!

:cheers
Thanks Ant! Well, I didn't want to go with blue or red hoses and mess up my color scheme on my R6! :fact

·
Mario J's Apple Juice
8,129 Posts
I'm going to have to ride up to your place to check your bike out one of these days! I thought about ordering the Red Samco hoses (I'm running a red/white scheme) but they were a little pricey (even with ridersdiscount) for my budget last year.

I might drop on them this year.

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm going to have to ride up to your place to check your bike out one of these days! I thought about ordering the Red Samco hoses (I'm running a red/white scheme) but they were a little pricey (even with ridersdiscount) for my budget last year.

I might drop on them this year.
Oh, I don't think that will happen unless your a girl! Only girls aloud in my undisclosed garage! :hump

·
My R6 hurts my Nutters
2,230 Posts
You got to be kidding me...if you do not know how to replace hoses and flush out coolant you shouldn't be near a bike or car...anyways nice job op..I wonder how engine ice does compaired to my bmw coolant

·
iRun
33,225 Posts
I will have to look into doing this this winter.. Not the engine ice (I'm a water wetter guy), but the hoses are probably a good idea. My shit is original, and it's an 06.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.