Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was riding from my first job in Santa Ana, to my second in Rancho Cucamonga yesterday around 3pm and before i even got to the freeway a police officer pulled me over for not having my liscence plate on. I showed him that i had it in my backpack and told him i just got it a few days ago and hadnt had time to put it on because i work so much, i was just waiting for a free minute that wasnt before 5:30am or after 1:30am (when i wake up for first job and get out of second)... So then he asked me for my liscence and i realized i had left my permit in my other shorts at my g/f apartment. I told him that and he ran my Class C licence and told me that if i had a permit it would show up under my driverse licence number. So he runs it and says i have nothing! I know for a FACT i have one, i got it about 2 1/2 months ago! So he tells me to get off the bike, tells me im going to have a long walk to Rancho Cucamonga so i better get started, and calls in a tow...

The entire time this was going on he was being a complete jerk for NO REASON! Even before i pulled over, he sounded his siren way too many times, like if i was running or something and i was going 5 BELOW the speed limit. I was VERY polite to him the entire time and was even wearing a shirt from the Cristian University my g/f goes too. Even after he had called the towing company and i asked him how to get it out and when was the earliest i could he started to play dumb like he didnt know how. He said to just read the ticket and call the court.

I have NEVER been one of those people who hates police because i have always been polite and cooperative with them and recieved close to the same. But this little incident just made me feel like, F*&# COPS! LOL, seriously though, why would a police officer knowingly create a situation where the person would feel such anger towards him and then wonder why people hate cops so much? Seemed kind of immature on his part...

Sorry, i know that was REALY long so here is the VERY short version:

Cliffnotes: Pulled over and didnt have permit ON ME, but i do have one. Cop runs my liscence and says i have nothing. Towes my bike and doesnt want to tell me how to get it back.

Questions: How do i get it out?
How much will it be?
Anyone else gone through something similar?

Thanks Guys!

·
Registered
17 Posts
sorry to hear that, but in this country pigs will always be pigs. i'd suggest you go see the judge, bring evidence that you did have your license/permit, registration, and all those hard documents. judge should let you go if you had everything, it would be at fault on the cop's end. you might need to pay a small fine for not having your plates on, but just fight it. bringp aperworks. and fcuk the cops. peace

·
Love To Ride!!
619 Posts
Cops have a very rough job. A lot of times people don't think about all the stuff they hear day in and day out not to mention the messed up stuff they see for themselves. So an attitude isn't surprising infact a lot of times it may keep them alive.

On another note is the christian university your gf goes to Biola by any chance? I only ask because I'm from Downey and that's the closest one I know of out that way.

·
Resident JMU Wizard
1,218 Posts
Hope you get it straightened out. No offense, but riding without a plate is a sure fired way to get pulled over. Doesn't excuse the cop for being a dick though. Also, I have a zip-loc bag in my storage compartment with a spare license, insurance & reg, $10 bill for emergency and a small box of motorcycle fuses. Maybe you should do the same.

·
Registered
79 Posts
If I were the cop that pulled you over I would have provided you with the tow company's name and told you to contact them. He wrote you a ticket b/c you are suppost to have your permit/driver's licesne w/ you at all times. Hence we all do make mistakes and forget it. All you need to do is take your permit w/ you and it would help to have your paper copy of the day you received your permit. The charges will more than likely be expunged if you have proper doc. As far as your license plate goes you have to have it "propertly" affixed. The judge may expunge it if you show him u had ur plate. As far as cops go they are not all bad. Its just a few bad apples that give the good ones a bad name. The thing is most people bitch about cops, but when they need them cops are the best things since sliced bread. Sorry the one you ran into was rude to you.

·
T-1 is my Hero
0 Posts
Bummer. Sometimes things just don't work out. All you can do is bring all your stuff to court and get it dismissed.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
that sucks, sounds like that cop was jerk. i was pulled over the other day too, luckily the cop was cool though. definitely take your permit to the judge and they'll just let you off. i thought you couldn't ride on the freeway with a permit?

·
DeathPodComesFromTheSky!
390 Posts
Yea man... no plate on your bike... plus no permit on you. Not a good combo... plus you told him you work till 1:30 in the am. That means its dark... Here in pennsytucky, you cant ride on a permit after dark. He might have been grumpy that day too. But as a few said... you cant hate the man, who is the first person you call when your bike gets stolen? And who is going to smash that theifs face into the hood of his patrol car if he catches the scumbag with your bike?
As for the Christian academy shirt, what does that have to do with anything? Did you bring that up because it makes you a good clean god fearing individual and he should cut you a break for that? Thats just irritating.
Chalk it up as a lesson learned, pay the fine and move on.

·
Registered
202 Posts
You never know when a cop is going to be an asshole, but what happen to you sounds like crap. Usually cops that have pulled me or my friends over let us go with a warning. Eitherway, not having a plate will pull static all day. Also, just keep your permit in the back set cubby of your bike in a ziplock bag.

·
Watch out, I'm riding!
378 Posts
May I ask, WHY didn't you have the plate ON the bike? It takes two minutes to put it on. Even if you do work a lot, there's no reason (or excuse) for not having it on. Given that, I can't blame the cop for being annoyed/angry. It probably made you look a lot more like someone who keeps it in the bag to dodge cameras, keep cops from running checks, and generally to be a pain in the rear.

There's also never a reason to be without your ID/permit/DL. That should be one of the things you check on the way out the door, like your keys. (And it's one of my personal pet peeves - I get people at my job ALL DAY LONG who are driving without their DL on them. I manage a gas station, for the record.)

At any rate, take all your paperwork, ID, etc, and anything to prove when you got the permit, and the judge should let you off lightly. You'll probably still have to pay a hefty fee to get the bike back, though, tows and impoundment are expensive, though less than the probable tickets/fines.

·
Premium Member
8,144 Posts
thats stupid man, im with you about being polite and gettin a ****** of a cop. Sorry to hear man...

I'm sure this has been said but the way i had to get my bike out of the tow place was to go down to where it was and show proof of ownership of the vehicle and pay the fine.

In the last two years i've been pulled over twice and gotten warnings both times and have had nothin but nice cops so hopefully most of them are that way...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So, even though i had ALL documentation with me, i had to pay the fines, $640+ and according to the officer "I got lucky i had the permit or it would have been a 30-day impound" . . . guess this is a good lesson, ALWAYS keep ALL paperwork with you. I took the advise to put everything in a zip-lock and save it in the tail of the bike, great idea! I have a chance to get a refund from the city because i filed a claim with risk management, but i wont know for at least two months anyways. There went my new jacket fund :( . . .

And i didnt bring up my "Christian Academy" shirt because it makes me look like a good clean god fearing individual that he should cut you a break for, i feel it, coupled with my manners for him should have been a sign that i wasnt a trouble maker or trying to show any kind of rudeness toward him and hopefully, even though he has to do his job, he could at least be nice-ish in return; he could tell me where my bike is going to be, how to get it out, where to go, lost the sacasm and inapropriate jokes, etc...

·
Laugh. Love. Learn. Live.
657 Posts
... and was even wearing a shirt from the Cristian University my g/f goes too.
Quick question...

WHY THE **** DOES THAT MATTER? CHRISTIAN = GOOD BOY??!! That's ****in' stupid, man. You should get a ticket just for adding that to this story.

:dunce:

·
My R6 has returned!!
1,930 Posts
Quick question...

WHY THE **** DOES THAT MATTER? CHRISTIAN = GOOD BOY??!! That's ****in' stupid, man. You should get a ticket just for adding that to this story.

:dunce:
:stupic:stupic

You were riding with no plate - then had an excuse for it :popcorn: If I were the cop, I wouldn't have even asked and just ran the numbers to see if it was stolen. No permit cause you forgot isn't really anyone else's issue but your own and definitely doesn't give the cop any additional reason to be nice to the dude that didn't have time to put his plates on but thinks it's prudent to operate the vehicle on public roads.

I think you felt the cop wasn't nice because you were looking for a pass on the excuses and the fact that you did really have the plates and the permit. Truth is the cop didn't owe you anything except a wtf were you thinking look (+the impound).

If I were the cop, I'd be disappointed just to have to deal with someone pulling that crap.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts