Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
I would think scam, but you never know. If your interested email the person and find out where it supposed location. I would certainly look at it in person first for that low of a price, just to make sure everything checks out.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I am going to have so say scam.I've seen a bunch of r6/r1's for dirt cheap on ebay and usually the too good to be true ones have this:

Note: This listing is restricted to pre-approved bidders or buyers only.
Email the seller to be placed on the pre-approved bidder/buyer list.

As does this auction

Nick

·
Registered
487 Posts
I'm sure someone one this forum lives near it and can check it out and get back to you. Email him for the address then post what state it is in and see if someone lives nearby.

·
Registered
225 Posts
i WOULD FIND OUT WHERE IT IS LOCATED AND SEE IF SOMEONE LIVES IN THE AREA AND CAN CHECK IT OUT JUST EMAIL HIM AND ASK QUESTIONS HIS RATING IS 100% ONLY A RATING OF 14 BUT STILL PERFECT

·
Registered
180 Posts
Looks like a scam, but I would e-mail the seller and ask LOTS of questions. I personally would stay away from that, if you notice he does not list where he is from and also his feedbacks does not show any other bikes sold that you can see.

·
Yamaland
2,310 Posts
I havent looked at the item yet, but let me guess....couple year old R6 with low miles, asking $3-$4k? Never been dropped, excellent condition?

If so, then yeah its a scam. The guy claims he's gonna ship it overseas for you. Hell, he'll probably offer free shipping. This is the age old scam. Feel free to email him with questions, but this sounds like the most common scam on ebay. Lots of times they will make it a private auction so you have to contact the seller before you can bid.

Just be careful! But I wouldn't count on it. Remember, if it sounds too good to be true, then it usually is.

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,815 Posts
yup i smell scam. i seen those pics posted in another forum, not sure which one. it sounds too good to be true, $3000, please he could get an easy $5000 for the milage and condition.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I'm sure it's a scam, just like the one posted the other day that had pics of a red '05 but the ad said it was a low mile '04. Didn't list the VIN, either. I had e-mailed him and asked why the pics of an '05 with an '04 ad. Also asked him to send me pics of the VIN tag on the bike. Didn't get any response. I had seen the bids go up and down so looked at bid history. The guy had cancelled about 20+ bids with a reason of "please contact me before bidding".

I e-mailed him again saying that he had never responded to MY e-mail and asked for the same info again. A few hours later (after the auction had been removed from eBay), I got an e-mail saying the bike was in Italy and it had a price of $2800 US with FREE shipping and that the sale would be completed through eBay with Square Trade and that he wouldn't get the money until I got the bike, blah, blah, blah.

So I responded again and told him that I was still waiting on the pics of the VIN tag on the bike and then asked why pics of an '05 with an '04 ad? I also asked why the auction had been pulled from eBay.

He sent another e-mail spouting the same BS about eBay and Square Trade, but still didn't send any pics or any answers. He then asked for my name and information so he could start the transaction.

I replied asking him how in the hell he was going to have a transaction through eBay on an item that no longer existed on eBay. I then said I wasn't going to give him ANY info until he could provide answers to the questions I had asked three times. Haven't heard from him since.

I knew it was a scam the whole time, but just felt like having some fun. :hammer

·
Registered
213 Posts
Its a scam buddy. I got suckered last year for this very same model bike for $3000. The guy supposedly said it was in italy and that he owned a bike shop etc. He actually called me from Italy, (i had his number and spoke w/ him several times). And me, not knowing any better and I had the bike fever so bad that i fell for it. He told me to send him half the money through western union (2nd mistake), and he would send the bike through lufthansa airline, and then when i sent the second half, he would send the title. Needless to say, I lost $1500 bucks and there's not a thing anyone can do about it. So to anyone who's going to buy a bike on Ebay....save urself the time and trouble and just buy it from a dealer or from a good friend.

Take it from me....i had to learn the hard way...it still makes me mad to even think about it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
:stupic sorry to hear that xroadsterx that really makes me cringe,
i reckon that its a scam for sure, but i wouldnt knock e-bay totally i bought my 03 r6 800km on clock in england, but i went to collect it from the guys house with a very big mate of mine, all worked out great still have it and love it

·
Registered
34 Posts
SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM
There is SOOOO many bike Scams on ebay now its stupid. I fould a bloke with an 04 R1 an 04 CBR1000RR and an 04 Hyabusa all with buy it now prices of £1400- £1500, Well Well Well under priced. He was down the road so I sent him an email sayiong I wanted to come and talk to him to check it out- then Ebay sent me a huge email explaining about Scams and bogus sellers. The items were removed at the same time.

On this subject, anyone heard of Extreme Machines Inc based in Portland Oragon (excuse my spelling)?
They wanted me to send them £3000 for a brand new unresistered 05 R6, and when I said no cos I didn't trust them, they sent me a huge email about how reputable they are.

·
Registered
120 Posts
of course its a scam...are you blonde? :stupic heh

To relate one of my stories with this same situation i know where your coming from. 99% of the time if it says location =worldwide - its a scam.

Most of the time when you email these people they dont use proper english, verbs and nouns are mixed up, sentences are not coherent... I had one guy relay to me the bike was in like Michigan so I wrote back, 'oh great, i'll be there this week, wheres the bike i'll come see it. So he writes back, oh sorry, the bike is in storage in NY, so again I write back saying, i can hit NY first on my way out west, and of course he comes back with..oh im sick and can't show it to you, but i can have my company ship it out, just send me 1/2 the money now, ill cover shipping, if you dont like it you can return it for a full refund...bulllshiittttttttttttt.

Lesson of the day: If its too good to be true, THEN KNOW IT IS!!!

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
picass1850 said:
Lesson of the day: If its too good to be true, THEN KNOW IT IS!!!
ABSOLUTELY!!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
There have been a lot of scams on ebay and cycletrader.com. I came across a few bikes that were too good to be true but I still responded to the add for more info. One add said they were from D.C. (where i live) so I said I wanted to go see it. There response was they were out of the country on their honeymoon and would ship the bike to me for free. Um, NO! Everytime I responded to a too good to be true add, they were always out of the country and would ship for free. People suck

1 - 20 of 22 Posts