Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Default user title
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've been scammed I believe so I want to bring it to the right people's attention. To whom/where should I divulge the details?

Chris

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
Re: Scammer Warning - Who to Contact?

Tell it here. Specifics...

·
Default user title
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Ok, I'm pretty sure this is a scam, but I feel stupid. I have a WTB post up for a upper triple for a 2005 R6. Get a PM from j010 saying he has one, to email him at [email protected]. We correspond via email. He sends me three pics.

He doesn't want to use PayPal. Wants to use MoneyGram. Red flag one.

I evaluate MoneyGram. Tell him I'll go ahead. He sends me the recipient information. Different last name although he says his son works for FedEx and will ship. I note the discrepancy. Red flag two.

Before sending the money I check his username history here - zero. Do a web search for the username - nothing. Check his stated name "Jon Shelly." Not much. Check the payment recipient name "Steve Parks." Comes up with the provided recipient address. Decide to move forward.

Send the money. "Jon Shelly" says he'll get things picked up and shipped out. Money's out, no correspondence since. Multiple follow ups. Nothing.

Web search the [email protected] address. Find a scammer warning for said address at subaruforester.org (http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f65/scammer-reports-199818/).

Web image search 2005 R6 vortex triple. Find one that looks like one of the images provided, but it's shown as for 03-04.

Web search 03-04 R6 vortex triple. Find this: http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65663

Exact three pictures that were provided to me.

Man do I feel dumb.

Chris

·
Default user title
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Just noticed something else. Email header says "Jon Shelley." Email address says "jonshelly". No "e".

Chris

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Damn, hate to say it but the money is gone. I would open a fraud case with ICCC and they can get the warnings out to people. But that's about it, never do money transfers over the internet. It's paypal or no-go.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts

There's a thread on this very forum that says "beware of [whatever that guys name is]"

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts

·
Rad Ass
333 Posts
Why wasn't the dude banned after 4 people had reported scam attempts? Unless this happened prior to the scam thread, seems like it could have been prevented pretty easily

That, or following your instincts.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
My Power band is blue
2,344 Posts
Why wasn't the dude banned after 4 people had reported scam attempts? Unless this happened prior to the scam thread, seems like it could have been prevented pretty easily

Good point. Why wasn't he banned? At the end of the day lesson learned I guess. Sorry you lost your money.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
3,254 Posts

Good point. Why wasn't he banned? At the end of the day lesson learned I guess. Sorry you lost your money.

I had a long reply, but I'm tired of wasting my time.

The user has been banned since the first thread was posted, thank you.

If it were up to me, the for sale sections would be closed, and anyone other than sponsors selling something would be banned. But the Forum Admin has already told me "no" on that.

Try to enjoy the Forum.

Peace, out...

·
Registered
49 Posts

Sorry to hear that man. People suck huh? At least report the bastard. Lesson learned and karma will kick his ass in the end..

·
My Power band is blue
2,344 Posts
I had a long reply, but I'm tired of wasting my time.

The user has been banned since the first thread was posted, thank you.

If it were up to me, the for sale sections would be closed, and anyone other than sponsors selling something would be banned. But the Forum Admin has already told me "no" on that.

Try to enjoy the Forum.

Peace, out...

Good to hear that he was banned. I hope you don't think I was calling the mods out or something. It just sucks to see a bunch of people get ripped off by the same guy. I don't know what goes on behind the scenes. That's why I ask.....

As for enjoying the forum, I do that on a daily basis. I think this forum is great. Did I do something to offend you dan?

·
Weeeeeeeeeeeee
1,667 Posts

You still paid him!?

·
Resident Bulgarian
1,563 Posts

:popcorn: I have many good stuff for you what you need. Give me money now I send ASAP once money in pocket. No problem. Cheap and quality. Can't use PayPal because no internet. Please sent money in envelope.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
3,254 Posts

Good to hear that he was banned. I hope you don't think I was calling the mods out or something. It just sucks to see a bunch of people get ripped off by the same guy. I don't know what goes on behind the scenes. That's why I ask.....

As for enjoying the forum, I do that on a daily basis. I think this forum is great. Did I do something to offend you dan?

Not at all. PM sent.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts