Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 R6 track only with braided lines

Done just over 4000 kilometres this year on track and its time for some new pads.
What compound and why ? Brand ? Is there much in it ?

No wet days and I am strong on the brakes like a bit of initial bite and I also rely on a lot of trail braking right into the clip point.
Thanks brains trust.

·
Parts Pimp
26,472 Posts
There's so many choices for pads it's crazy. And everyone prefers something different.

Since you say you like a bit of initial bite, you'll probably be best off with some sintered race pads. Depending on how much initial bite you want determines what pad manufacturer and compound works best for you.

Too much initial bite results in an abrupt let off mid corner in a trail brake. Too much initial bite also runs through fork travel and poses issues when trying to get on the brakes mid corner if needed...

I really love the Ferodo pads. I sell a ton of them, this is what I have 90% of my racers on for years now. I also have some racers on EBC pads too.

The EBC pads really have a significant amount of initial bite, so they aren't for me. Ferodo has two sintered pad options that would suit you. XRAC pads have as low an initial bite as possible for a sintered pad, and the ZRAC compound is newer and was created to target people who do like some initial bite. The ZRAC actually has the highest overall braking coefficient of the compounds and is a nice option for guys who have experience with EBC and Vesrah pads.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
EBC is the largest maker of pads in the world, and they have supported racers (myself included) for years. They are one of the only mfgs. to pay racing contingency in club racing (like ccs and wera).

EBC has 2 very distinct compounds for track use/racing. The EPFA (softer initial bite, but great feel) and the GPFAX (hard initial bite). both are fully sintered material, and LAST A LONG TIME.. but are not the cheapest pads.

the epfa exterme pro pad was released in 2007. It replaced the former pad from ebc that was.. well.. not very good. The old pad had good initial bite, but would not heat cycle well. it faded more and more with a few sessions, even though there was a lot of material. and if you didn't bed it in right, you would have to pull them and sand them down to de-glaze.

enter 2007 and the EPFA pads. Not cheap.. but fuggin AWESOME pads. They do not have hard initial bite. it took some getting used to, i literally missed brake markers when i was given them to test at Daytona in 2007 (having been used to harder initial bite), but it's all i have ran since. I tried the

GPFA that was released in 2011, and does have a hard initial bite but it's not my style. I prefer a more linear progression of bite, vs. a hard initial bite.

so there ya go. 2 choices of very high quality pads from EBC. EPFA or GPFAX
link to site -- Brake Pad Archives - EBC Brakes

ps: if you are a serious track rider, i would not purchase the less expensive "hh" pads. they are sintered, but not the quality of the extreme pro pads (epfa/gpfax)

·
Parts Pimp
26,472 Posts
EBC is the largest maker of pads in the world, and they have supported racers (myself included) for years. They are one of the only mfgs. to pay racing contingency in club racing (like ccs and wera).

EBC has 2 very distinct compounds for track use/racing. The EPFA (softer initial bite, but great feel) and the GPFAX (hard initial bite). both are fully sintered material, and LAST A LONG TIME.. but are not the cheapest pads.

the epfa exterme pro pad was released in 2007. It replaced the former pad from ebc that was.. well.. not very good. The old pad had good initial bite, but would not heat cycle well. it faded more and more with a few sessions, even though there was a lot of material. and if you didn't bed it in right, you would have to pull them and sand them down to de-glaze.

enter 2007 and the EPFA pads. Not cheap.. but fuggin AWESOME pads. They do not have hard initial bite. it took some getting used to, i literally missed brake markers when i was given them to test at Daytona in 2007 (having been used to harder initial bite), but it's all i have ran since. I tried the

GPFA that was released in 2011, and does have a hard initial bite but it's not my style. I prefer a more linear progression of bite, vs. a hard initial bite.

so there ya go. 2 choices of very high quality pads from EBC. EPFA or GPFAX
link to site -- Brake Pad Archives - EBC Brakes

ps: if you are a serious track rider, i would not purchase the less expensive "hh" pads. they are sintered, but not the quality of the extreme pro pads (epfa/gpfax)
The EPFA's are actually really fairly priced when compared to other companies race pads!

·
Parts Pimp
26,472 Posts
SBS Dual Carbon Sintered pads are awesome. Been using them for 5 years now.
Brake pads is such a personal preference. I can't stand SBS. They feel like OEM pads and require so much force at the lever to make the bike stop. One of my customers has R6 calipers and a braking MC on a GSXR 1000 and when I rode the bike it just didn't stop well. We swapped him onto some EBC GPFA's and it changed his life.

·
Yamaha 4 Life
514 Posts
I have used both Carbone Lorraine C59 and Vesrah RJL out on the track and loved both. I run top intermediate / low advanced pace.

Typically the CL pads are a bit cheaper so that has been my pad of choice lately.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Brake pads is such a personal preference. I can't stand SBS. They feel like OEM pads and require so much force at the lever to make the bike stop. One of my customers has R6 calipers and a braking MC on a GSXR 1000 and when I rode the bike it just didn't stop well. We swapped him onto some EBC GPFA's and it changed his life.
This is true. It really is preference. I like to be on the brakes longer and lighter so maybe that's why I really like them. The initial bite isn't abrasive or abrupt. If I need that extra stopping power, I know it's there though. I don't have that problem.

MELKA is right about the rider support for EBC. They do offer contingency... even for us northern CRA club racers. So that is something to consider. I'd like to try out some other pads but I use what I'm confident in for the moment.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
This is true. It really is preference. I like to be on the brakes longer and lighter so maybe that's why I really like them. The initial bite isn't abrasive or abrupt. If I need that extra stopping power, I know it's there though. I don't have that problem.

MELKA is right about the rider support for EBC. They do offer contingency... even for us northern CRA club racers. So that is something to consider. I'd like to try out some other pads but I use what I'm confident in for the moment.
that's what the said prior to Columbus setting out to discover a new world.. :)
Try something else. Ya might find MORE confidence in a different brand.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow
Thanks great info there guys and now that I have opened that can of worms lets talk oil
Bahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh............... just kidding.

Melk after reading your words I had a really good think about my riding style .
And hard biting is probably not what I need as I try and be really smooth on the brakes feathering them up to the braking point then increasing front pressure up to the tip in point holding them static then easing off then trailing the rear out of the corner.
So thanks everyone for your input , I will check out the links you posted .

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
Wow
Thanks great info there guys and now that I have opened that can of worms lets talk oil
Bahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh............... just kidding.

Melk after reading your words I had a really good think about my riding style .
And hard biting is probably not what I need as I try and be really smooth on the brakes feathering them up to the braking point then increasing front pressure up to the tip in point holding them static then easing off then trailing the rear out of the corner.
So thanks everyone for your input , I will check out the links you posted .
i really think the EPFA is a pad you should consider. There have been a good number of riders in this and other forums that were happy they switched to them and got off pads that had very hard initial bite. Once you get the feel on how hard you have to pull to get 100% stopping power (any more and you lift the rear wheel), you will really begin to get better with corner entry, still on the front brake.. That leads to confidence to be on the gas a little further into the braking zone, which equals FASTER corner entry (as you are confident to trail brake more than you used to), and lower lap times :)

the gpfax in my opinion, is a pad for some top level riders..

·
Registered
439 Posts
I like the vesrah srjlxx and the ferodo xracs. I get them a little cheaper from a guy so that helps. Good pads are expensive. Ebc stuff is really good especially since there is contingency. I've used the gpfa and the x version with good results. I recently just wanted to try a different pad and so far I'm liking the vesrah and ferodo a tad more. But like everyone says, it IS your preference. Almost like tires. Try them all. Only YOU will be able to tell yourself which one is better for your own riding style.

·
Tires tell no lies
663 Posts
I do nothing but EBC "HH" pads. I run competitive times to slow AMA guys, usually top the charts of any track day unless AMA pro is there. The HH pad is great because I ride on the street also. I dont want just a race pad for that reason. The HH lasts a really long time. Yes there may be other better pads but they are very focused on racing and are great, but some need heat before they start performing. The double H is cheap and provides great feedback into the lever, no matter the temperature of the pad. Just my .02, I know everyone has their own opinion.

·
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!
4,810 Posts
I do nothing but EBC "HH" pads. I run competitive times to slow AMA guys, usually top the charts of any track day unless AMA pro is there. The HH pad is great because I ride on the street also. I dont want just a race pad for that reason. The HH lasts a really long time. Yes there may be other better pads but they are very focused on racing and are great, but some need heat before they start performing. The double H is cheap and provides great feedback into the lever, no matter the temperature of the pad. Just my .02, I know everyone has their own opinion.
Double H has been around for quite some time. They came stock on my Hayabusa & zx12 and 100 other bikes. Ask anyone thats ridden a Hayabusa at a moderate track day pace... it will feel like you have wood in the calipers after a couple of laps no matter how hard you squeeze the lever.
Im not the hardest braker in the world but a race pad will continue to bite with no fade so lap after lap you can use the same brake marker/reference. As a race progresses you tend to rely on brakes more & more for consistency. Especially in longer races.

If you were to move a brake marker just 15' for a fast guy... it would be the difference of them making or not making the corner. :wink:

·
Tires tell no lies
663 Posts
Double H has been around for quite some time. They came stock on my Hayabusa & zx12 and 100 other bikes. Ask anyone thats ridden a Hayabusa at a moderate track day pace... :wink:
EBC HH pads do not come stock on bikes. They look similar but are not the same pads you speak of. EBC HH pads are race pads, just not on the same degree as the others listed above.

Hayabusa are not built to be on the track.. That weight and wheel base makes for a tiring day on the track.

·
4,810 Posts
EBC HH pads do not come stock on bikes. They look similar but are not the same pads you speak of. EBC HH pads are race pads, just not on the same degree as the others listed above.

Hayabusa are not built to be on the track.. That weight and wheel base makes for a tiring day on the track.
Um HH compound pads have been coming on stock bikes for years.

HH is a minimum rating. It will be stamped on the pad.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
Um HH compound pads have been coming on stock bikes for years.

HH is a minimum rating. It will be stamped on the pad.
but ebc as you know has a pad called "hh" .. it's their lower priced fully sintered material pad for fast street riding (they have carbon pads too). i am not sure this is the actual brake pad that comes stock on bikes, but could be. I thought most oem pads are an organic/carbon pad or sintered blend ?

·
Parts Pimp
26,472 Posts
HH is the rating on the OEM pads. They are NOT EBC. I don't believe EBC HH pads come stock on any bike at all. The EBC HH is what they call their pad.

It is HH rated as are 99% of all aftermarket pads.

The EBC HH does not have the god awful feel of the OEM pads. They are a great pad for double duty. I run them on my 2002 R6 street bike. On the track at a fast amateur race pace they get a little bitey when super hot, but they are such a good pad. Years ago the EBC HH was what everyone was racing on.

At $65 for a pair, they are a sick deal and an awesome pad. I sell tons of them.

·
4,810 Posts
but ebc as you know has a pad called "hh" .. it's their lower priced fully sintered material pad for fast street riding (they have carbon pads too). i am not sure this is the actual brake pad that comes stock on bikes, but could be. I thought most oem pads are an organic/carbon pad or sintered blend ?
Sorry thats where the confusion is coming in at on my end. :surprise:
I was thinking it was odd which is why I questioned it...lol.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts