Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've blown out one of my fork seals (07 R6r). So it needs to be replaced. I need help with a few things because I've never done this before.

Here are my questions:

1) Since one is blown, obviously I should rebuild both. Right?
2) What special tools will I need?
3) What oil should I go with?
4) Should I upgrade/replace anything else while I'm in there?
5) What brand fork seals should I go with?
6) Anything else I should keep in mind?

Thanks for the help!

edit: Encase anyone else needs the same help, here's some videos that were recommended to watch.

For 06/07 R6 you will need two of each of the following part numbers (to do both forks):

3VD-23115-00-00 (guide cover)
5VU-23145-00-00 (oil seal)
3VD-23156-00-00 (oil seal clip)
3VD-23144-00-00 (dust seal)

You will also need:
41mm Fork seal driver and bullet.
A liter of Fork oil (not quite sure on weight yet)
Some Ultra Slick Seal Grease

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
1. Replace them in pairs
2. Fork seal driver is the only need
3. Ohlins or maxima
4. Check the bushings for wear and replace as necessary. Also, if you have the scratch put in some cartridges.
5. OEM Yamaha
6. Its messy, and it sucks. Take your time. If the bushings are good, you can usually put a small piece of saran wrap around them when you pull the fork leg apart to keep them from getting damaged, but its not necessary. Just read the manual, watch the videos, and get your hands dirty

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
What size fork seal driver do I need?
The one that is the same size as the inner tube outside diameter. I wanna say 43mm, but double check that....anyone?

You might consider the fork seal bullet too, protects the seal from the bushing groove (the reason I said use saran wrap...)

·
Premium Member
12,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The one that is the same size as the inner tube outside diameter. I wanna say 43mm, but double check that....anyone?

You might consider the fork seal bullet too, protects the seal from the bushing groove (the reason I said use saran wrap...)
Would something like THIS be something I should look into purchasing?

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
Would something like THIS be something I should look into purchasing?
absolutely, that is the best route.... just figure out the correct size.

Edit.... wait, thats just the bullet set. You need 1 bullet and 1 driver, not the bullet set only. The bullet just protects the inner fork tube and seal from the bushing groove, the seal drive drives the seal into the tube. You can make a seal driver from abs, delrin, or pvc if you have a lathe.

·
Premium Member
12,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
absolutely, that is the best route.... just figure out the correct size.

Edit.... wait, thats just the bullet set. You need 1 bullet and 1 driver, not the bullet set only. The bullet just protects the inner fork tube and seal from the bushing groove, the seal drive drives the seal into the tube. You can make a seal driver from abs, delrin, or pvc if you have a lathe.
Ok. I thought the metal part in that "set" was the driver. And the colored parts were the bullet. :dunce: Forgive the n00bness. :lmao

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
Yeah, the bullet set is like $50, or they are like $8 each... the driver alone is usually over $40. You really only need one bullet and one driver, and if you are careful and use the saran wrap trick, you dont even need the bullet.

·
Premium Member
12,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, the bullet set is like $50, or they are like $8 each... the driver alone is usually over $40. You really only need one bullet and one driver, and if you are careful and use the saran wrap trick, you dont even need the bullet.
meh... might as well spend the 8$ and do it right. :fact

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
meh... might as well spend the 8$ and do it right. :fact
yeah, just trying to offer options for those that read this that are cash strapped.:cheers

·
Premium Member
12,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah, just trying to offer options for those that read this that are cash strapped.:cheers
:werd Good call.

Another question; Most of the seals I'm seeing online come with two. That's an upper and lower, I'm assuming? So I would need two sets to do both forks. Correct?

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
:werd Good call.

Another question; Most of the seals I'm seeing online come with two. That's an upper and lower, I'm assuming? So I would need two sets to do both forks. Correct?
Im not sure on this, as different makers do it differently. I would suggest getting the OEM stuff, but if you wanna save some scratch on aftermarket, make sure you get the oil seal and dust wiper for each side. They look different. Some companies make a whole kit with this stuff and the bushings, but i doubt you need the bushings.

·
Premium Member
12,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Im not sure on this, as different makers do it differently. I would suggest getting the OEM stuff, but if you wanna save some scratch on aftermarket, make sure you get the oil seal and dust wiper for each side. They look different. Some companies make a whole kit with this stuff and the bushings, but i doubt you need the bushings.
Cool. I was looking around online for bushings and couldn't find any. :confused:

Hey, thanks for letting me pick your brain too. Really appreciate it! :cheers

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
If you go to the OEM parts fiche, you need parts 5 and 21 which are the same part, just different sides, these are the oil seals (SKU: 5VU-23145-00-00
OIL SEAL $10.22). You should also get pats 7 and 23, these are the same part, just different sides, these are the dust seals. (SKU: 3VD-23144-00-00
SEAL, DUST $11.04). You can also replace but probably wont need to replace 4 and 20 (guide). You can also replace but probalby wont need to replace 6 and 22, (snap ring). Aftermarket sets usually come with either a pair of oil seals, a pair of dust seals, an oil seal and dust seal, or 2 oil seals and 2 dust seals, all depends.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
Cool. I was looking around online for bushings and couldn't find any. :confused:

Hey, thanks for letting me pick your brain too. Really appreciate it! :cheers
I seriously doubt you would need the bushings but you will be able to tell when you get it apart. If you can see the copper coming through the bushing, you need bushings. If you have any doubt, replace the bushing (even with oem) because if you dont, you risk scratching the inner fork tube, creating a permanent leak. The inner fork tube is bank too.

Edit: No problem. I had help learning, so its only right to help other learn. pay it forward.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts