Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know, I screwed up one of my frame taps when I installed my scotts damper. I left it with no screw on one side all season and want to fix it this winter.

Looks like a helicoil is the way to go. I've been looking on videos on how to do it and I'm sure I can figure that part out but I need help on what I need to buy for this.

It seems they come in kits, so depending on the screw I need I choose the kit.

Would anybody know what I need for one of the scotts mount screws?

·
190rwhp......:eek5
10,295 Posts
Im not familiar with the size of the bolt/screw for the mount, nor am I familiar with the working space around the problem area.

If you can, Id drill/tap next size up to avoind the Helicoil, but if you cant avoid it, then of course, its your only course of action...once you get the coil in there, loctite that shit with the toxic green stuff and call it a day...Ive never had good luck with Helicoil applications...and Ive done more than a few of them...

Good luck my brotha...

·
FastForward Performance
961 Posts
I never have been a helicoil fan. The Time-cert is a much better option. Instead of a "spring" insert, a timecert is a solid insert and has much better properties than the helicoil. I would also not recommend going to the next size larger, but rather keep it original which I believe is a 6x1mm, although I am not positive. Tdub

·
slow guy
4,409 Posts
I never have been a helicoil fan. The Time-cert is a much better option. Instead of a "spring" insert, a timecert is a solid insert and has much better properties than the helicoil. I would also not recommend going to the next size larger, but rather keep it original which I believe is a 6x1mm, although I am not positive. Tdub
If you can use a threaded insert like Tdub said. Helicoils have there place, but if not done properly can cause more harm then good. Also most inserts will come with a locking agent pre-applied. yes and go with the actual size like Tdub said. I'm not sure if you can get inserts in kits with the toll and drill like helicoils. Might want to check out Mcmastercarr.com for that.

·
My R6 eats you.
7,563 Posts
Im not familiar with the size of the bolt/screw for the mount, nor am I familiar with the working space around the problem area.

If you can, Id drill/tap next size up to avoind the Helicoil, but if you cant avoid it, then of course, its your only course of action...once you get the coil in there, loctite that shit with the toxic green stuff and call it a day...Ive never had good luck with Helicoil applications...and Ive done more than a few of them...

Good luck my brotha...
Only issue with loctite is that the bolts need to come out every time you need to get under the tank.

·
FastForward Performance
961 Posts
TimeCerts come in a kit (you can get refills) with drill bit, tap, countersink, and installer. The insert is somewhat like a pipe fitting where when you use the installer it will flare the end of the insert for a tight fit. They will not turn out like a helicoil might. They are a bit more expensive than the helicoil kit, but IMO well worth it. I got my kits from Wurth. Tdub

·
10,295 Posts
TimeCerts come in a kit (you can get refills) with drill bit, tap, countersink, and installer. The insert is somewhat like a pipe fitting where when you use the installer it will flare the end of the insert for a tight fit. They will not turn out like a helicoil might. They are a bit more expensive than the helicoil kit, but IMO well worth it. I got my kits from Wurth. Tdub
I did the same exact thing when i installed my Scott's damper. I bought a time-cert kit and never had another problem with it.
Never used a timecert kit...but it sounds/looks (I looked it up) legit...next time I need an application similar, Ill lean towards that...

·
My headlight is burnt out
137 Posts
I used a heli-coil kit for the same purpose. I called Scott's and they told me what kit to get. Follow the instructions and take your time.

·
10,295 Posts
Threadjack:
Hey, did you go to the gun show this weekend? It was almost all AR-15 stuff.
Negative...

<---- broke as a mofo and the last time I went to the gun show with no money, I did very bad things with my credit cards...:fact

Besides...my AR is pretty set up...although, Im looking into getting a different collapseable stock...:sing

A buddy of mine has one that makes mine look silly so jealousey has taken over...:mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
17,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll look into time cert.

I rather leave it with no screw than to make permanent. Also I cannot go one size up as the screw just fits threw the mount.

·
10,295 Posts

I rather leave it with no screw than to make permanent. Also I cannot go one size up as the screw just fits threw the mount.
:werd I didnt think youd be able to go next size up...specially since everyone else was saying so...:lmao

Good luck :cheers

·
Premium Member
17,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow I suck at typing on the interwebs.... Spell check has me spoiled(stupid) I guess..

·
AFM #327
15,209 Posts

just sell the scotts damper and pony up for a hyperpro RSC or better yet, an Ohlins damper :fact

I didnt strip when I was installing the Scotts but I never liked the mounting option of tapping the frame; especiaaly like DB said, you need to take it off everytime u need to take off the tank. If I had an option again, it'd be the Ohlins with Graves mount (just need to relocate the ignition :thumbdown)

·
Hey Guy
5,290 Posts
Negative...

<---- broke as a mofo and the last time I went to the gun show with no money, I did very bad things with my credit cards...:fact

Besides...my AR is pretty set up...although, Im looking into getting a different collapseable stock...:sing

A buddy of mine has one that makes mine look silly so jealousey has taken over...:mrgreen:
Then you might not have missed much. There was a lot of cheap stuff for the ARs.
The only cool guns that i saw were two Vectors (pistol and full size) and a Scar-H. Oh, and the Barrett 50 cals.

·
Premium Member
17,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
just sell the scotts damper and pony up for a hyperpro RSC or better yet, an Ohlins damper :fact

I didnt strip when I was installing the Scotts but I never liked the mounting option of tapping the frame; especiaaly like DB said, you need to take it off everytime u need to take off the tank. If I had an option again, it'd be the Ohlins with Graves mount (just need to relocate the ignition :thumbdown)
Right I wouldn't mind this either BUT I would be left with two holes there..Only reason I have scotts is cause it's from my older bike and I kept it so I didn't have to buy a new one..

I like the GPR or Hyperpro. Just not sure if I'll sell and take a hit on money for essentially the same functionality.

·
AFM #327
15,209 Posts
Right I wouldn't mind this either BUT I would be left with two holes there..Only reason I have scotts is cause it's from my older bike and I kept it so I didn't have to buy a new one..

I like the GPR or Hyperpro. Just not sure if I'll sell and take a hit on money for essentially the same functionality.

The Scotts should've come with couple screws to plug up the holes in the frame, I'll check to see if I still have them from my kit and let u know, considering I sold my bike, lol, may take a while to find them. Def u'll take a hit, and maybe extra <$100 or so and u should be able to get a new GPR or HyperPro RSC.

·
Premium Member
17,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The Scotts should've come with couple screws to plug up the holes in the frame, I'll check to see if I still have them from my kit and let u know, considering I sold my bike, lol, may take a while to find them. Def u'll take a hit, and maybe extra <$100 or so and u should be able to get a new GPR or HyperPro RSC.
Thanks. Let me know but I don't see me shelling out an extra hundred considering I have the scotts already and it's a good damper..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts