Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all im thinking of attending MMI and wanted every ones input? anybody been through these courses? anyone in the orlando, FL area got an extra room to help a brotha out while im attending? thanks again guys

·
Mario J's Apple Juice
8,180 Posts
I wanted to attend a MMI course/major in it but I don't think it'll be all that great since winter time comes around it'll be slow.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wanted to attend a MMI course/major in it but I don't think it'll be all that great since winter time comes around it'll be slow.
thats fine just means i can work on my own bike right lol

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
i know a few people who have been there. all of them said if they could go back in time, no way would they have been there. they all have the same positions at the shop as the guys who didnt go to any motorcycle school. also, i think the tuition comes out to something like 36,000 total. just food for thought.

·
Avid Enthusiast
7,408 Posts
i know a few people who have been there. all of them said if they could go back in time, no way would they have been there. they all have the same positions at the shop as the guys who didnt go to any motorcycle school. also, i think the tuition comes out to something like 36,000 total. just food for thought.
Anytime someone asks about MMI/UTI I give them the same spiel. So many people waste thousands of dollars for nothing. Find a vocational school or a public college that teaches the same shit for way less. That is if you can't get hired on and learn as you go with the dealership paying you to learn.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I have been, I learned alot(like seriously alot), yes it was expensive but there is no set tuition because you can take whatever classes you want. The cheapest Ive seen someone get out of it was for 18,000. Don't take Yamaha unless you want to learn about snow mobiles, but its a complete joke either way, if your only going to take one class take Honda(24 weeks) or BMW(12weeks). and don't go to Florida come to AZ the florida campus sucks from what I here. Also I know that there is guys at shops that didn't go to MMI and still got jobs but it is a 1000 times easier to get in the door with that piece of paper that says you at least tried to learn something about your chosen career, and if you look at those guys they are all old and started doing it before there was a school, all in all I think it was a good decesion in my situation, but then again I am abnormally obsessed with motorcycles, like you dont even realise...

OH! one more thing, if you do go and then go to get a job, try with all your might to stay away from andywhere that services polaris products, they suck

·
Registered
674 Posts
What would you guys recommend?
if you want to go to a motorcycle mechanic school I would only even consider mmi, simply being because it is the only school that you get cetifications from the factory while your in school. I graduated honda with red level certs, it goes bronze, silver, red(red is like gold) some of my insturctors werent even red level, all I need is 2 years experience in the field and I'll be the highest rated honda technician you can be, I'm also 2nd tier bmw certified, which is one tier away from being a master tech, which never having stepped foot into a bmw service bay i think is pretty good

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i got a friend that went to MMI and said he would go back and do it again if he could. if i go it would have to be the FL campus, so time off would be spent driving home to see my kids in TN.

·
crashing aint so bad
2,271 Posts
I have a few friends that have gone and they all pretty much think the same thing. It is a waste of money. There is no guarantee of good money when you come out, only a better chance of employment. One of my friends was a stand out in the class and was headhunted to another program that set him up in CART series racing. He was at MMI for all of a few weeks before he dropped it to get his enrollment back and then set camp in a more race specific school. He is now a mechanic for exotic and high end imports at a shop that has a owner operator profit sharing plan. He is doing well

My other friend is a tech at Pep Boys as a manager making only $12 an hour. He says his time at UTI was a waste. He could have already been making more money had he just gone there from the start and worked his way up from scratch.

Another friend went to MMI and he is pretty mad. He is a shop tech at a local dealer making all of ..........wait for it............................$9 an hour!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He says that this is the part they don't ell you in the school. It doesn't guarantee anything will be better, only that it may be easier.

For my friend that has done well, you must realize he was headhunted. He stood out and was redirected. I imagine that if you are a stand out pupil you may get more push into a job program that is more rewarding. In his case he already knew more than the course could teach him, he was quickly redirected towards a more specialized program that could make use of his talents. He quit the CART racing series because the work was round the clock and the pay just wasn't enough to deal with someone else getting all the credit. He really just wanted to race himself and would have never had the time if he was still working for a team. He left so he could race motorcycles. Now he is set up pretty well and has a couple of championships under his belt.

If you are already a very good mechanic and only feel that going through the course would improve your odds of success, then and only then would I consider going. If you are pretty new to mechanics then don't waste your time unless your very academic. The only way you will get the " good stuff " is if your both academic and you stand out amongst all the other pupils.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts