Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this helmet for about 4 months, so I suppose that's enough time to really get a feel for it.
First off, I have to plug the place I got it: The Helmet Shop. Great customer service (I've gotten 3 helmets through them), and really solid pricing. Plus, free shipping over $100, which pretty much means every full-face helmet. And great selection, too!

Ok, now that that's over with, the review. I've had a Nolan I gave to my dad, an HJC, borrowed a Shoei temporarily, and then this Scorpion (close enough, but they didn't have the exact graphic on their site that I bought in person):

Comfort: Out of all the helmets I've tried, this one definitely felt the best. Good, thick padding that feels really nice. Especially considering just how worn in my HJC pads were :*tongue
Vents: It had two smaller vents and one larger vent at the top, the ubiquitous one on the chin area, and one on the back. I have to be honest, I don't really notice a difference whether they're open or closed. But I usually have my visor at least cracked open so it's not a big deal to me.
Upkeep: All the pads come out really easily, and go back in [relatively] easily. Just hand-wash in mild soapy water and air dry and you're good to go. The finish on the helmet itself is good, and bugs and whatnot come off with little effort.
Visor: The visor is probably the most important aspect to me (next to safety, obviously!) My HJC had two bad habits: fogging up, and not keeping the visor in position. Of course, those could both be attributed to age. The Scorpion visors have some special" anti-fog" stuff on them apparently, and I suppose it works. Then again, it doesn't exactly get cold in June. In Florida. So I wouldn't really know. They also have some quick-release system for their visors. You just twist that silver thing on the side and the visor comes out. But honestly, the HJC had an easier system with just two little levers. But the Scorpion definitely doesn't move around, at any speed.
Price: At $170, it's definitely on the cheaper side of the spectrum. I've always believed that you get more when you pay more for stuff like helmets, seeing as how they can SAVE YOUR LIFE. So I was a little hesitant to get one so cheap. And even though I haven't experienced it firsthand, my friend low-sided his 08 R6 with a Scorpion at about 50mph. And even though that black finish was completely ruined, his head certainly was not.

So overall, if you're looking for a cheap, comfy, sleek helmet, I definitely recommend this one. If cheap isn't your thing, go for the EXO-700 [$200-220] or the EXO-1000 [$350]. I will definitely recommend Scorpion to anyone that asks!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Nice review. Thanks. I have the EXO 1000 and love it. Big fan of Scorpion helmets. :)

·
Jonesing for track
442 Posts
I low sided last weekend and smacked my forehead pretty hard at 60 mph and then grinded the asphalt a good 15ft head first before violently rolling another 20ft. No headache, just a slight bruise on my forehead from the impact. I was using my Exo-400 and it held up like a freakin champ. Having 1st hand knowledge of how well Scorpion helmets hold up, I'm a customer for life.

Attachments

·
One Cheek On The Seat!
858 Posts
So overall, if you're looking for a cheap, comfy, sleek helmet, I definitely recommend this one. If cheap isn't your thing, go for the EXO-700 [$200-220] or the EXO-1000 [$350]. I will definitely recommend Scorpion to anyone that asks!

Did scorpion raise their prices?! I bought my EXO-400 last year for $130 at my local shop...and after I wrecked in that I bought my EXO-1000 for $320!

Awesome helmets though. The EXO-1000 is my third scorpion and best yet!

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I have an exo400 and it's great for the price, the sizing does run on the small side though.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I low sided last weekend and smacked my forehead pretty hard at 60 mph and then grinded the asphalt a good 15ft head first before violently rolling another 20ft. No headache, just a slight bruise on my forehead from the impact. I was using my Exo-400 and it held up like a freakin champ. Having 1st hand knowledge of how well Scorpion helmets hold up, I'm a customer for life.
Wow, that's hell but glad to hear you're OK!! That's good to know, though :p
Did scorpion raise their prices?! I bought my EXO-400 last year for $130 at my local shop...and after I wrecked in that I bought my EXO-1000 for $320!

Awesome helmets though. The EXO-1000 is my third scorpion and best yet!
Maybe? It could be the place I bought it from. But everything seems to be going up in price, so I wouldn't be surprised. Luckily I got mine for $140 because they didn't have the design I wanted in stock so they gave me another for cheaper :*tongue

·
AFM #327
15,209 Posts
Ive had the EXO 400 for a lil less than a year... its been mighty comfy, even in this 100deg heat in tex, only thin i dont like is that it rattles a bit at speeds over 80mph, maybe my fit or something i really have no clue about..
All in all, a good value, still shiny side up rubber down......fingers crossed.... so no idea about protection...

·
No more side boob for you
1,136 Posts
I got the EXO-1000. absolutely love this *****ing helmet. picked it up for $320 also. 6+ months now and still feels like its new.

·
I hope my R6 eats me.
145 Posts
+1

I've had an EXO-400 for about a year now and I agree with everything.
One con is that the helmet is a little on the heavy side, but that's the only bad thing I can say about it.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
i have an exo-700, great helmet, i am waiting to see what graphics they come out for the 1000 and i think im going to upgrade

·
Registered
65 Posts
from what ive read the exo 1000 is the heaviest out of the three....overall reviews from the pros say to stick with the 400 pretty much best bang for the buck

·
MY R1 IS A BEAST !!
85 Posts
i just got rid of the scorpion ex400 (orange one) and got a solid black shoei rf1000, better fit for me, and i'm happier with it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts