Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend is going to sell his 03 R6 and he is taking his scotts steering damper. will this fit on my 01 6?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Anyone have experience with Ohlins vs. Scott steering dampers? I've read good reviews about Scott, but have a friend w/Ohlins. Others???

·
Registered
109 Posts
i have the ohlins and love it. never tried the scotts but my ohlins works great.

·
I ride her hard!!!
195 Posts
I have the Scotts, and got no complaints so far. Jason DiSalvo uses the Ohlins on his track day R1, so if it's good enough for a pro AMA rider, it should be good for anybody. You can't go wrong with either one. Don't forget, a steering dampener doesn't help you steer better, in fact, it makes the bike turn in slower. It's used more for a safety precaution for head shakes or tank slappers. If you do track days or race, you should set it at the lowest possible setting you feel comfortable with. If you do a lot of wheelies, turn that sucka up!!! BTW, Ohlins makes Scotts.

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you need a 01 mounting bracket for scotts damper, I have one for sale. I bought a use scotts damper for a 01, so i had to buy a 03 mounting bracket for my bike.

$90 plus shipping. Cheapest you'll find anywhere is $115. i didn't my search. =)

[email protected]
-Garrett

·
Registered
213 Posts
Man...can one of you tell me what a steering dampner does? i hear so many things about it, but i'm not sure of its purpose. Why would you want to turn into a turn slower? and what are head shakes and tank slappers?

·
I ride her hard!!!
195 Posts
It does exactly what it's called. It's a safety precaution, and should be set the minimum of you do track days or race. Tank slappers is when your clip ons oscillate uncontrollably from left to right and right to left. I had my first tank slapper this past weekend on track day. I was coming in too hot into a turn, which freaked me out a little and caused me to screw up my braking. I was so glad I had my Scott's dampener on at the time. As for head shakes, I think someone could answer that better.

·
Registered
124 Posts
head shakes are pre tank slappers, pretty much the suspension is trying to get settled from something (pothole, accellerating too fast.....)
tank slapper is like what lvbluer6 said and usually don't end pretty

I have a scotts and LOVE it I wouldn't trade it for any other damper, and one of the main things that I would choose it over Ohlins is that you can adjust dampening on the fly!!! really helpful in dropping lap times

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
I personally would rather put my money elsewhere. Dampeners are expensive. Maybe it is because I have never been to the track, but I just don't think it is really functional for my riding style right now. I have never had any problems thus far.

·
Registered
586 Posts
njk27 said:
I personally would rather put my money elsewhere. Dampeners are expensive. Maybe it is because I have never been to the track, but I just don't think it is really functional for my riding style right now. I have never had any problems thus far.
I haven't been to the track yet either but all it took was one ride after my 520 conversion to know I needed a dampener. with the "lighter" front end it shook more. The roads around here are really shitty too so it's good piece of mind.

·
I ride her hard!!!
195 Posts
njk27 said:
If you like to do wheelies alot, a dampener would help prevent you from getting a tank slapper when coming down from one.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
njk27 said:
Maybe you could spend that extra money on language lessons.

They are called steering DAMPERS not "dampeners."

·
Registered
586 Posts
z31maniac said:
njk27 said:

Damn Dude that was harsh! :drink <-- try it. Watch who's toes your stepping on, do a search and see who else spells it that way. And it does make sense, what does it do... dampen thus the suffix added to the verb... Dampener

.damp·en
v. damp·ened, damp·en·ing, damp·ens
v. tr.
To make damp.
To deaden, restrain, or depress: “trade moves... aimed at dampening protectionist pressures in Congress” (Christian Science Monitor).
To soundproof.

v. intr.
To become damp.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
dampen·er n.

[Download or Buy Now]
Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

Dampener

n : a device that dampens or moistens something; "he used a dampener to moisten the shirts before he ironed them" [syn: moistener]

Source: WordNet ® 2.0, © 2003 Princeton University

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
z31maniac said:
njk27 said:

I presume your mommy and daddy paid for yours. I guess it is true your head is getting bigger day by day, your helmet doesn't even fit anymore. To tell you the truth I never paid attention to that, I subconsciously put "en" on it I guess it seemed more proper.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts