Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Scotts is a far better unit for the track or the road, i have been seriously against dampers for a long time. I have an 07 R6 and at high speeds under full throttle if i hit a small bump it gets a serious head shake. I bought a GPR V4 from hardraceing.com and got a reply that it was on back order. I called them up and the woman told me that they do have scotts in stock and explained to me the differences. I started reaserching called scotts and realized the scotts is much better for what i want. First is the low and high speed circuit. the low speed is for normal riding, an area i did not want any dampening. the high speed only comes on when the forks are jerked quickly, i.e. head shake, potholes. I installed it and it is everything i wanted it is light to steer which i like and not a hint of head shake. the GPR has the same resistance all the time. it doesn't make sense to me i would think the resistance you need to stop head shake would annoy me while i am riding the other 99.99% of the time. I admit the small amout of dampening on the low speed circuit has been nice, but i would not expect this amout to stop a head shake at 130MPH. second is i hear about all these GPR V4 leaking, from what i understand these are out sourced to china and someone over there changed gasket material which was no good. In my opinion this is just horrible QC i wanted to get rid of head shake at high speeds a unit that fails could mean a tank slapper at high speed, $50 extra was worth the quality of a company that actually has a footing in the dampening buisness not just the steering dampening buisness.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Scotts is a far better unit for the track or the road, i have been seriously against dampers for a long time. I have an 07 R6 and at high speeds under full throttle if i hit a small bump it gets a serious head shake. I bought a GPR V4 from hardraceing.com and got a reply that it was on back order. I called them up and the woman told me that they do have scotts in stock and explained to me the differences. I started reaserching called scotts and realized the scotts is much better for what i want. First is the low and high speed circuit. the low speed is for normal riding, an area i did not want any dampening. the high speed only comes on when the forks are jerked quickly, i.e. head shake, potholes. I installed it and it is everything i wanted it is light to steer which i like and not a hint of head shake. the GPR has the same resistance all the time. it doesn't make sense to me i would think the resistance you need to stop head shake would annoy me while i am riding the other 99.99% of the time. I admit the small amout of dampening on the low speed circuit has been nice, but i would not expect this amout to stop a head shake at 130MPH. second is i hear about all these GPR V4 leaking, from what i understand these are out sourced to china and someone over there changed gasket material which was no good. In my opinion this is just horrible QC i wanted to get rid of head shake at high speeds a unit that fails could mean a tank slapper at high speed, $50 extra was worth the quality of a company that actually has a footing in the dampening buisness not just the steering dampening buisness.
+1 on the leaking GPR v4, my best frient has one and it started leaking really bad after our last track day. And I also have heard alot of other stories about it, good thing is they will take it back and replace it no questions asked.

I have an Ohlins damper and I love mine, I've had GPR before but I perfer my ohlins one. Top Quality.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i just got it today and i installed it already before i even see this reply, well i think im just going to hope that it wont leak on me. Like you said they will change it, but the will be pain in the ass. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
749 Posts
What about a linear pull damper? They look cooler.

Also how much is a scotts? $300 a good price?

·
Registered
339 Posts
i just got it today and i installed it already before i even see this reply, well i think im just going to hope that it wont leak on me. Like you said they will change it, but the will be pain in the ass. Thanks for the info.
Hopefully you got the "newer" version b/c if you didnt I hate to say it will most likely start leaking. They machined the seal for the o-ring to sit in to shallow so when they put it together it pinches the o-ring and makes it not seal properly. well thats what the rep said when my buddy took his back to the GPR place that is stationed in San Diego.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hopefully you got the "newer" version b/c if you didnt I hate to say it will most likely start leaking. They machined the seal for the o-ring to sit in to shallow so when they put it together it pinches the o-ring and makes it not seal properly. well thats what the rep said when my buddy took his back to the GPR place that is stationed in San Diego.
I got the GPR V4 and hopefully is better that the older versions. I also have to modified the clamp that goes to the tank, by adding some orings to keep it aligned, it suck's because they only have one bolt.

·
I heart my R6
464 Posts
Apparently GPR has fixed the bad seals for the V4, the company they used to get there seals through went overseas to get a better deal (but cheaper quality) and they found out...They told me all the new V4's that are being shipped out directly through them this past few weeks have been the updated version with no leaks...

(ide assume if u ordered it through a vendor longer than a few weeks ago other than gpr direct they might have sent an old v4 that has been sitting around with the bad seal issue)

You can check the suspention forum, There is a post on the leaky v4, and i posted the email they sent me, along with others who posted some info. Hopefully they issue is resolved like they claimed...I just ordered a v4 from them last night (Im lucky im local to them if there are any issues)

Im not saying GPR is better than scotts, just pointing out some info because once something bad like the leaky seal issue GPR had happens to a company, it seems thats all you hear about is the negative things and it haunts them no matter if the issue has been fixed.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Apparently GPR has fixed the bad seals for the V4, the company they used to get there seals through went overseas to get a better deal (but cheaper quality) and they found out...They told me all the new V4's that are being shipped out directly through them this past few weeks have been the updated version with no leaks...

(ide assume if u ordered it through a vendor longer than a few weeks ago other than gpr direct they might have sent an old v4 that has been sitting around with the bad seal issue)

You can check the suspention forum, There is a post on the leaky v4, and i posted the email they sent me, along with others who posted some info. Hopefully they issue is resolved like they claimed...I just ordered a v4 from them last night (Im lucky im local to them if there are any issues)

Im not saying GPR is better than scotts, just pointing out some info because once something bad like the leaky seal issue GPR had happens to a company, it seems thats all you hear about is the negative things and it haunts them no matter if the issue has been fixed.
the V4 is the one that has the majority of the leaking right now. My friend had the brand new V4, used it one track day it and it was leaking everywhere, and as well as 3 other customers from our shop that bought the new V4. Like i said though, they are taking them back and replacing them no questions asked.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Is $300 for a Scotts a good deal?

·
I heart my R6
464 Posts
I shoulda listened to people on here not to buy the V4....I got my V4, and they assured me it was the updated version that has all the leaks fixed ect ect befor i ordered it through them

Well i just installed it and 2 mins after the install its leaking through where the body connects to eachother....This is pretty gay

I circled where the oil is dripping out, its easier to see in person, and it looks alot worse in person, because tahts not the only spot where its dripping

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I shoulda listened to people on here not to buy the V4....I got my V4, and they assured me it was the updated version that has all the leaks fixed ect ect befor i ordered it through them

Well i just installed it and 2 mins after the install its leaking through where the body connects to eachother....This is pretty gay

I circled where the oil is dripping out, its easier to see in person, and it looks alot worse in person, because tahts not the only spot where its dripping

I also noticed that the pivot point between frame/tank connection its a little bit off, it looks from the slight tilted or a ramp in other words. i have to fixed mine to look a little bit better.

·
I heart my R6
464 Posts
Ya, i noticed that too, that part just sits like that, dunno why

Im gunna mess around with it later, its works fine though...

I also read the FAQ on the GPR site, it mentions that its normal for new dampers to leak when they are new for a lil bit..Hopefully this is true and it will stop leaking...

But it was leaking pretty heavily on my ride today, dripping down and making a mess on the triple clamp and frame..I wiped it off a few times and it started to not leak as bad, but there are still signs that oil is coming out which is not right at all, no matter if its just 1 drip

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ya, i noticed that too, that part just sits like that, dunno why

Im gunna mess around with it later, its works fine though...

I also read the FAQ on the GPR site, it mentions that its normal for new dampers to leak when they are new for a lil bit..Hopefully this is true and it will stop leaking...

But it was leaking pretty heavily on my ride today, dripping down and making a mess on the triple clamp and frame..I wiped it off a few times and it started to not leak as bad, but there are still signs that oil is coming out which is not right at all, no matter if its just 1 drip
i just put some rubber o-ring on mine and it works just fine, i don't know how to post my photos of my bike on this thread, anyways, likely on mine there is no leaks whatsoever, i'll be mad if there's one. But i will check it from time to time.

·
I heart my R6
464 Posts
i just put some rubber o-ring on mine and it works just fine, i don't know how to post my photos of my bike on this thread, anyways, likely on mine there is no leaks whatsoever, i'll be mad if there's one. But i will check it from time to time.

You can go to photobucket.com and make a free account and upload all your images, and than copy the IMG link they give u and post that link and they will pop up..

Anyways, if yours isnt leaking yet than ide assume your good to go..from what everyone has described it leaked pretty fast after install...anywhere from 0 - 200 miles of riding...Mine is ooozing out with just 1 ride :yuk:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You can go to photobucket.com and make a free account and upload all your images, and than copy the IMG link they give u and post that link and they will pop up..

Anyways, if yours isnt leaking yet than ide assume your good to go..from what everyone has described it leaked pretty fast after install...anywhere from 0 - 200 miles of riding...Mine is ooozing out with just 1 ride :yuk:
Thanks buddy! i will try that later after work. Goodluck with yours.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts