Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be getting diablos put on today :jump so I have two questions:

How long does it take to scrub in tires :?: I plan on using some sand paper to get a little of the wax off.

How do you know when the tires are scrubbed in and you can go a little harder :?:

Also does anyone have diablos how do they feel :?:

:cheers

·
Registered
49 Posts
Good choice!! :mrgreen: My roomate runs diablos!! Pirelli's always made a good tire, but they really stepped it up this year!! As for scrubbing tires in don't take sandpaper to them!! Even if you sandpaper them they will still be COLD and slick!! Do be sure no chain wax or tire lube has gotten on them though!! They will feel slick for the first few miles! As will a lot of Cold tires!! Let met bring ya' up to speed!! What really affects the tire is heat!! That's why you see so many race guys with tire warmers!! This is why they can go so fast on a warm up lap! It's because the tires been heat cycled in the warmer! Once you start to heat cycle the tires the will start to release the emolents( hope that's spelled right) from the tires! The chemicals they use to preserve the tires rise to the top when the tire cools after being made! It's the chemicals that are baked out when you ride and heat the tire that make it start to really adhere and become pliable again!! Start by riding and just getting some heat in them! Once you've gotten about 5 or ten minutes of heat in them. Slowly start a weaving motion you can go farther to the edge as you feel the tires start to come in(warm up)! Hope this helps!! Be careful and enjoy!! :cheers

·
Registered
712 Posts
Good choice! My brother put diablos on after he wore out the dunlops that came with the bike and he was very pleased with them! I have to agree about not taking sandpaper to your new tire...let the tire get nice and warm and ride em' out! Now you have and excuse to go ride all day, but not like we need a reason!!! Enjoy ur new diablo

·
Registered
836 Posts
Don't weave... that is a great way to end up on your head. And it doesn't add shit for tire temperature, because it isn't putting much flex into the carcass.

The best way to heat up a tire is accelleration and braking. Take it around easy just to put a little heat in the tire and warm up the engine. Then give her a good roll-on, and a nice firm stop. Repeat this a few times. This puts a lot of flex into carcass of the tire, which equals heat.

Then when it is time to take the curves, just add a little bit more lean angle on each turn... that way you are only partially on the non-scrubbed rubber.

It only takes me 4-5 LAPS at the track to scrub in a set of tires. Even on street tires it never took me more than 20-30 miles to get a set scrubbed in. I would just find a nice twisty bit of road and ride it up and back a few times... adding a bit more lean angle each time.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I have a friend that put new tires on his bike, and he did not score his tires properly, He ate it, big time. He is alive, major road rash though. He was @ about 60 mph, he got on the throttle pretty hard on a slight curve, and he lost traction on the rear wheel, you know the rest.

Be sure to follow the advice of the vets above.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Great!! Hey Rocky I'll be sure to tell all my friends that those fancy school instructors don't know what thery're talking about! I'll just tell them all weaving dosen't do shit and those instructors told told them how to scrub in tires wrong!! Notice I told him to start SLOWLY scrubbing in the tire edges after heat is started in the tires!! The weaving is meant to start scubbing the sides in!! I didn't say weave like Tommy Hayden on a mission the minute you put them on. I'm not an expert I'm just sharing what I've been told by some pretty reputable sources........... and yes your method works just as well!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
By the way I'm not tryin to make this some kind of issue it's not!! just merely sayin' guys like us should offer imput to the less experienced guys and that there are a lot of times more than 1 way to skin a cat!! Ya' know!!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the tips. i have not got the sides scrub down yet cause there are no twisty roads in the city on NY. I guess I will have to go with the side to side method or keep going around in a circles till they are scrubbed in.

One more statement: The Diablos are sick!!! :hammer :cheers

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Go for a decent little ride, getting the tires warm....Rocky's method. Then go find a nice big parking lot that has some good new asphalt or a good textured concrete surface. Just work your way around in circles in the parking lot slowly weaving and leaning a bit. Keep the tires warm and don't push yourself or the tires. Just as you get more compfortable, give it a little more lean and weave. usually helps to do a left hander, then a right hander so on so on. Keeps heat displacement equal.

This is a good way to scrub in tires, also a great place to learn and practice proper leaning techniques.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I've been racing for 9 years and I use sand paper on the edges (new tires). There's nothing wrong with that, in fact I almost crashed on a new set of Michelin's (pilot race) last year because I didn't use my beloved sand paper. You don't need to go crazy, just scuff the first 3 - 4" on either side of the tire. Tire manufacturers apply wax to the tires so they'll "keep" longer while in transport/storage, it's definetly a good idea to take some of that stuff off. I'd suggest that unless you can't feel any "wax" on the tire and it's nice and sticky.

Either way, becarefull for the first 60 miles !!

AL

·
Registered
951 Posts
interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . interesting . . . and more words multiple word post. bitch.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Ok i know this is a really old post, but I was searching and this is probably the best thread about breaking in tires. i am new to riding and am still confused about the best way to break in a tire, or how to tell when it is "broke in". anyone have any pictures they could highlight and show what they mean, or what they should look like? thanks i'm still kinda new.. -jam

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.