Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a buddy of mine had me use seafoam on my r6 recently and a whole bunch of black smoke came out the exhaust for about 15 minutes. i was told that the black smoke was all the dirty crap in the bike. any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Yup, thats what its designed to do. It's probably not needed on a bike, however, I don't think it could hurt it any.

·
my r6 eats me
89 Posts
how did he run it through the engine. In my truck i put it through the brake booster vaccum line, and put it in the oil 15 miles prior to doing oil change and in the tank of gas prior to oil change. It does help alot.

·
fun and informative
560 Posts
i put 1/2 a can in to stabilize the gas before winter and the other half when she wakes up in march.

·
Registered
6 Posts
2004 r6 with 2k miles, been sitting for a couple years got a battery and it screamed like no other. Last week I put in half a can of seafoam with full tank of gas. Rode for 50 miles and let it sit for a week. Started up yesterday and it sounded like it was going to die, had chugging idle under 1k, took er out for a spin, no power whatsoever. Any ideas? Perhaps fouled plugs from seafoam? Ideas anyone?

·
Car? What Car?
2,335 Posts
1 oz of Seafoam treats 1 gal of gas. One can of Seafoam is typically 16 oz. You might have screwed up your injector seals. That stuff is pretty corrosive. 1 can usually lasts me 4 tanks.

·
Car? What Car?
2,335 Posts
I'm not sure. Ive not gone that far into the engine before. I've just heard what SF can do if not used properly. If used properly, you will notice a vast improvement in performance. At least I did when I ran a can through it over 4 tanks. Gotta be careful with that stuff.

·
Nahm Nahm my R6 ate me...
30 Posts
2004 r6 with 2k miles, been sitting for a couple years got a battery and it screamed like no other. Last week I put in half a can of seafoam with full tank of gas. Rode for 50 miles and let it sit for a week. Started up yesterday and it sounded like it was going to die, had chugging idle under 1k, took er out for a spin, no power whatsoever. Any ideas? Perhaps fouled plugs from seafoam? Ideas anyone?
I also had a similar problem, I would have to strongly suggest draining the tank and running the bike dry, even after I did that I still have that weird chugging noise your referring to, me and my mechanic are currently trying to determine what the problem is, he thought it might be the clutch slipping. After I used the product I changed the spark plugs, cleaned the air filter, got new sprockets, fresh tank of gas, and a new chain and the problem is still slightly there :\ right around 5.9k RMPs and in low RMPs I dont use 1st gear tho so I dont notice it as much there but not super happy bout SeaFoam :thumbdown :thumbdown

·
Nahm Nahm my R6 ate me...
30 Posts
were your plugs fouled?
Difficult to say haha, guy before me never changed them so they were in their for 13500 miles they didn't look to spiffy when he held em up they looked fairly black, he said they were probably stock :/, if uve not picked out plugs I could suggest you get CR10EiX, next time I go down there if he still has em ill bring em back and take pics but he probably threw em out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts