Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I just picked up a 07 with 23k miles on it. I am wanting to seafoam the bike being that it has some high miles on it to try and clean it up some. I've already added some to the gas and going to add some to a vac line to help clean other parts. What vac line on a 07 do you guys recommend using? Or should I not even bother doing it at all?

Keep in mind that im not wanting to seafoam the bike to avoid doing a service or something. I just dont know what kind of maintenance the previous owner did (he told me he did oil change every 3k miles and recently did new plugs and chain/sprockets) but I really dont want to believe everything people tell me. Overall the bike runs really good except a idle loping issue that im trying to address

Thanks!

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
This is what the suzuki guys swear by.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
^^ LOL :)

op, seafoam is not magic. it's a fuel stabilizer and really won't do much more than that. Good pump gas has detergents in it.. that often make the same claim that "seafoam" and other "engine cleaning agents" make. That using this product will clean intakes, pistons, etc. Look down on top of your intake valves. It's easy. Just remove the airbox, twist the throttle or push the butterflys open manually, and you can SEE the top of the intake valves. It's highly likely there is ZERO buildup on top of them..

Exaust valves, if you run race fuel, will get a build up on them, and there is nothing you can do about it short of removing them during a re-build, putting them in a drill, and grabbing the valve head in your hand with some ScotchBrite pad (red is preferred). That will get MOST of the hard carbon build up off, but no way.. no how.. is a chemical that is in the gas gonna get that stuff off.

I recently purchased a head as a spare, with valves that was said to have 4500 miles on it. It only saw street duty, and all the valves were near perfect.

"seafoaming" the bike, won't do anything miraculous, other than make the company selling it happy. There are no miracles in a bottle. If the bike has issues, address them. Tune/remap, check valve clearances (known idle problem if out of spec), new plugs, clean the injectors (off the bike, send to a company like mine that services them ultrasonically and flow tests them), perhaps get the throttle bodies synced (this addresses idle rpm's), etc. IF needed..

·
Mr. HER6
2,084 Posts
I don't think you're giving it as much credit as you should, Melk Man. Now I don't know quite how effective it is pouring it in vacuum lines, but when I had my wife's DRZ apart it had a nasty layer of carbon buildup lining the entire piston face. I used seafoam to soak the buildup a bit and it did a great job of softening it up so I could easily remove it. And I got every last bit off of there. So it definitely has the ability to help remove buildup, but you need to be able to apply it where you need it.

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
Do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Hey...watch this
574 Posts
If you pour enough Seafoam in it to cause it to stall, then let it sit for an hour or two, you can do a pretty good job of loosening up some carbon buildup. Assuming you have carbon buildup in the first place.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Back to my original question... which vac line should I use then if I were to do it?

I'm not by any means saying its a "mechanic in a can" or a miracle product... I'm just saying I know it works in most applications to clean up and keep things running better

·
Registered
39 Posts
On a car, you use any vac line that distributes to all cylinders (the most common line used is the brake booster). On the bike, you just have to find a vac line that will distribute to all cylinders (if there is one) Otherwise, not so sure.

What FZ1 said would probably be the most effective, if you suck up enough to stall the bike, the seafoam should coat the cylinders, and if you let it sit there long enough to break down the carbon buildup, next startup will get rid of the carbon buildup. (All assuming the product actually works.)

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
If you pour enough Seafoam in it to cause it to stall, then let it sit for an hour or two, you can do a pretty good job of loosening up some carbon buildup. Assuming you have carbon buildup in the first place.
you can do the same thing with water.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
I don't think you're giving it as much credit as you should, Melk Man. Now I don't know quite how effective it is pouring it in vacuum lines, but when I had my wife's DRZ apart it had a nasty layer of carbon buildup lining the entire piston face. I used seafoam to soak the buildup a bit and it did a great job of softening it up so I could easily remove it. And I got every last bit off of there. So it definitely has the ability to help remove buildup, but you need to be able to apply it where you need it.
cleaning a piston crown ? as in with the piston out of the engine ?? A a few squirts of brake clean and/or just put that thing on the bench grinder's wire wheel... that's what ya do for that. There are likely lots of other methods that would have removed carbon from the top of the piston.
Where people DO give the stuff too much credit, is pouring a bit into the gas tank expecting it to fix all kinds of problems and "clean" everything from the fuel injectors to the exhaust tip. No darn way. nothing that good gas can't keep clean.

If an engine part, fuel injector, fuel pump, etc. gets to the point ethanol has hardened, or other deposits have formed that require a wire wheel or ultrasonics to remove, a chemical.. that is actually SAFE for the machine.. won't remove any of that. It IS a good stabilizer, and may keep some things clean that have not formed hard deposits. But many of the claims some people make about what it does are simply not true.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
say WHAT .. lol.. oh man.

sea "foam" isn't a foam at all. It's a clear liquid. It doesn't foam, it won't remove carbon any more than good detergent enriched gasoline will. Pull the pistons OUT of the engine and pour enough of any number of chemicals, including gas, and carbon will come off with a little work.

IF you have carbon built up to the point of needing to worry about it, compression ratios are very high and you will begin to notice your bike pre-igniting or "pinging" under hard acceleration. Wanna know if you have a problem ? do a compression test. A significant amount of carbon will give you unusually high psi readings. (assuming you don't have a built motor to begin with) . 185psi is minimum spec for a 2008+ r6.

if your bike isn't pinging, or detonating.. you likely don't have a problem. YOu can also use a boroscope to look in there and see..

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
say WHAT .. lol.. oh man.

sea "foam" isn't a foam at all. It's a clear liquid. It doesn't foam, it won't remove carbon any more than good detergent enriched gasoline will. Pull the pistons OUT of the engine and pour enough of any number of chemicals, including gas, and carbon will come off with a little work.

Ie..
its kerosene, grapeseed oil, and alcohol...lol.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
its kerosene, grapeseed oil, and alcohol...lol.

could be .. :)
not ashamed to say i use it, but not as a "clean carbon off my pistons and clean my injectors" potion.

I use it and a dose of Marvel Mystery oil to stabilize gas i use in the race bikes in between events. I have a quick disconnect at the bottom of my r6 tanks, drain the race fuel, raise the tank and pull off the fuel line to drain both up/low fuel rails, put the lines back on start and run the bike awhile to get some fuel to the lower injectors (but i'm not getting any to uppers as they won't fire below mid/high rpm anyway).. then use the big can of wd40 sprayed down the velocity stacks to "fog" the motor a bit then quickly shut it down while spraying the wd40 that is making it sputter a bit. THis gets some wd40 on the exhaust valves (hopefully) as MR12 leaves a horrible residue that darn near 'grows' over a few weeks if left without doing something.

·
Registered
437 Posts
could be .. :)
not ashamed to say i use it, but not as a "clean carbon off my pistons and clean my injectors" potion.

I use it and a dose of Marvel Mystery oil to stabilize gas i use in the race bikes in between events. I have a quick disconnect at the bottom of my r6 tanks, drain the race fuel, raise the tank and pull off the fuel line to drain both up/low fuel rails, put the lines back on start and run the bike awhile to get some fuel to the lower injectors (but i'm not getting any to uppers as they won't fire below mid/high rpm anyway).. then use the big can of wd40 sprayed down the velocity stacks to "fog" the motor a bit then quickly shut it down while spraying the wd40 that is making it sputter a bit. THis gets some wd40 on the exhaust valves (hopefully) as MR12 leaves a horrible residue that darn near 'grows' over a few weeks if left without doing something.
Lol, christ. That sounds like a hell of a routine; makes me never want to have a built/tuned motor.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
Lol, christ. That sounds like a hell of a routine; makes me never want to have a built/tuned motor.
... or just don't run mr12 or other oxygenated fuels :) I agree. bit of an ordeal but ya don't HAVE to do this. ya just pay the price later with crud forming in the exhaust ports and exhaust valves. As well as risk issues with the injectors and fuel pump.

·
Mr. HER6
2,084 Posts
Relax, man. The point of my example is just that the stuff can break down deposits, so if the guy is contemplating dumping it into his engine (not just in his fuel) it has the potential to break down some buildup. He's not looking to fix a problem or work a miracle, just hoping to clean it up a bit if there's anything in there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Relax, man. The point of my example is just that the stuff can break down deposits, so if the guy is contemplating dumping it into his engine (not just in his fuel) it has the potential to break down some buildup. He's not looking to fix a problem or work a miracle, just hoping to clean it up a bit if there's anything in there.
Exactly what i meant thanks.

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,253 Posts
Since you've already put the magic mystery oil in your tank, what different parts do you you think putting it in a vacuum line would target? A vacuum line goes into the intake tract.....just like the fuel where you have already added the crap.

As you can tell, I put little stake in Seafoam. It is basically petroleum distillate and alcohol and does very little that the gasoline companies haven't already put in their fuel. And for those that put it into their crank case? Yeah. put some gas or kerosene into your oil. How good of an idea does that sound? There is a reason Seafoam tels you to only run it for a short time and flush it out thoroughly.

23K is NOT high miles, and I doubt long enough to accumlate sludge in your oil. Any deposits accumulated on your valves and pistons (assuming race gas wasn't used) won't be that significant, either.

Do your valve lash check/adjustment, which is due in 1000 miles anyway, and you will see how dirty the inside of your engine is when you have the valve cover off.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
what he said ^^

it and many other items like this are darn near "snake-oil" .. huge cash cows for the companies marketing these items.

if used in it's prescribed dose, it won't do any harm but i fail to see how it's going to do a lot of good either. But hey, $9 for a pint.. why not ! LOL

i would not put it in your crankcase. As 8ball mentioned, 23k is not high mileage, and reducing the lubricating ability of the oil in any way is just not a good idea. If the oil has been changed regularly, there won't be deposits at 23k, and even if there WERE some.. many mechanics and builders argue that loosening those deposits is just asking for an oil passage to be plugged long enough to starve a bearing.

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,251 Posts
Pretty much all of the fuel system cleaners are just marketing at its finest. And people eat that shit up.

So I just picked up a 07 with 23k miles on it. I am wanting to seafoam the bike being that it has some high miles on it to try and clean it up some. I've already added some to the gas and going to add some to a vac line to help clean other parts. What vac line on a 07 do you guys recommend using? Or should I not even bother doing it at all?

Keep in mind that im not wanting to seafoam the bike to avoid doing a service or something. I just dont know what kind of maintenance the previous owner did (he told me he did oil change every 3k miles and recently did new plugs and chain/sprockets) but I really dont want to believe everything people tell me. Overall the bike runs really good except a idle loping issue that im trying to address

Thanks!
From this post, it really does sound like you think the seafoam will magically fix anything that happened due to a lack of maintenance.

You'd be better off spending your time getting all of the fluids changed out. And I mean ALL of them. When was the last time the brake fluid was flushed? When was the last suspension fluid change? Oil and coolant are obvious, but should also be checked.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts