Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new tail piece I want to attach to the track bike I have (2003 R6). The old one attached with two bolts by the battery and two bolts where the seat bolts into the sub frame then it was zip tied at a few holes in the under tail. The new one has spots for two bolts by the battery but none where the seat bolts on. The new tail has a recessed spot on top for a bolt but I can't see it lining up with anything directly below it. Anyone have any advice? Do you have to fabricate something for the recessed bolt hole on top? Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
The two cutouts are so your stock seat bolts can still hold the seat on. The two tabs by the battery are for the black plastic push pin type thingies and the rear recess does have a bolt hole directly below it. I think it was originally a taillight mount or something like that, but if you drill a hole there, there should be threads to put a bolt into.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The two cutouts are so your stock seat bolts can still hold the seat on. The two tabs by the battery are for the black plastic push pin type thingies and the rear recess does have a bolt hole directly below it. I think it was originally a taillight mount or something like that, but if you drill a hole there, there should be threads to put a bolt into.

Thanks for your response. The old tail, where the two slots are for the seat bolts have extended surfaces so the seat bolts can go through those points as further reinforcement. That's why I am baffled as to why they wouldn't do the same. Thanks

·
Registered
100 Posts
I just put the two push pins by the battery and never had any problems. what type of race skins do you have? I have hotbodies your may be different.

·
wat?
722 Posts
^ +1

I just ziptie the fronts on and it's good to go. It's a bitch to get on/off over the passenger seat mechanism anyway; there's no way in hell it's going to just fall off.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^ +1

I just ziptie the fronts on and it's good to go. It's a bitch to get on/off over the passenger seat mechanism anyway; there's no way in hell it's going to just fall off.

Yeah I agree, it is a bitch to slide over the tail. I cut off about 1/2 inch of that plastic thingy on the right side so it goes on easy now. Thanks for your responses.

·
wat?
722 Posts
^ Oh I did that too and it still creaks and cracks. I don't even know how you did it with that plastic piece still on!

·
Registered
106 Posts
+1 , I did mine the same way, push pinned the forward most holes and drilled that top hole and put a bolt in there. You can make it a little more sturdy if you drill two holes in the undertail plate right up at the far forward edge and insurt a couple bolts or push pins there, when its attached to the bottom of the tail section it will make it a little more sturdy but not required. The first thing I did was cut that plastic thing off the right side and I also removed the passanger seat mechanism.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts