Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Hmm..
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK bump from my previous thread this is getting crazy so heres the problem. Ill list them instead of a story:
#1. My headlights won't work at ALL!!
#2. My taillight comes on in but as soon as i start the bike it flickers then goes off
#3. Turn signal brake lights high beams dash light all don't work
#4. My fan doesn't want to come on now either as i found out today

Took bike to a shop call D&D Motorsports they couldn't figure out what was wrong after swapping parts out told me to replace relays did so and doesn't work still. The bike runs and works just my electrics there tripping out. When I start the bike i here like a kind of shorting out sound it's weird. I would like to know if anyone has had any similar problems so I can self fix. If not I will have to take it to Yamaha and have them go through it. Help please! :werd

·
MACGYVER 05 R6 NJ
4,033 Posts
OK bump from my previous thread this is getting crazy so heres the problem. Ill list them instead of a story:
#1. My headlights won't work at ALL!!
#2. My taillight comes on in but as soon as i start the bike it flickers then goes off
#3. Turn signal brake lights high beams dash light all don't work
#4. My fan doesn't want to come on now either as i found out today

Took bike to a shop call D&D Motorsports they couldn't figure out what was wrong after swapping parts out told me to replace relays did so and doesn't work still. The bike runs and works just my electrics there tripping out. When I start the bike i here like a kind of shorting out sound it's weird. I would like to know if anyone has had any similar problems so I can self fix. If not I will have to take it to Yamaha and have them go through it. Help please! :werd
You have to check the ignition 12v first. All the lights turn on or receive the 12v from the ignition. From there it goes to the fuses and relays. You can have a bad contact start there first. Make sure your battery ground is good at the battery.

·
Hmm..
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You have to check the ignition 12v first. All the lights turn on or receive the 12v from the ignition. From there it goes to the fuses and relays. You can have a bad contact start there first. Make sure your battery ground is good at the battery.
The ignition? How would it be the ignition doesn't control the taillights, Brake lights, Turn signals, headlights and dash?

·
MACGYVER 05 R6 NJ
4,033 Posts
The ignition? How would it be the ignition doesn't control the taillights, Brake lights, Turn signals, headlights and dash?
When you turn the key it sends the 12v to the ecu, relays, switches to the clipons and so on. As soon as you start the bike the ecu sends a ground signal to turn on the day time lights. The ecu may be sending a bad ground signal and the day time lights wont light up. Start at the ignition switch to make sure you are getting 12v in and 12v out when you turn the key.

5 wires for ignition. Put the meter black wire to groung of the battery. Check the battery voltage I had 13.8v. Leave the back wire on the battery. use the red probe and test the 5 wires.

KEY OFF

RED 13.2v
ORANGE 13.2v
BROWN 0V
BLUE-YELLOW 0v
BLUE-BLACK 0V

KEY TO ON POSITION

RED 13.2v
ORANGE 13.2v
BROWN 12.4V
BLUE-YELLOW 1v
BLUE-BLACK 1V

I looked at the wireing diagram again. If you have the 12v to the ignition in and out your ecu sends the ground to the fan relay to turn on and the headlight and daytime light ground. Your ecu may be going bad and not sending the ground.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Check your negative and postive connections at the battery. And mabey check for over voltage charging. You should have around 12.5 with the bike off and about 14 with it running. Anything over 14.5 could be a burnt rectifier thus causing your electronics to wig out.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Unplug the connector at the tail of the bike that hooks to the turn signals as well as the connector that runs to the tail light.

Check to see if the problem continues. YES? Go on. No? Your problem is in the tail section

Unplug your HID's / Headlights and Check..

You get the idea.. Use a process of elimination to narrow down the problem child.

Use a test light and check all fuses, but pull those fuses and check to see if they are blown. (visible by the Z shape being broken inside the plastic)

This is the precise reason why I hate aftermarket shops and stealerships that rely on a bogus credentialing system, or none at all, to show their techs are qualified to work on bikes. Any tech worth his/her weight would be able to (hands on) solve your problem inside an hour. No part swapping (we call that "the shotgun" method), No BS, No guessing.. Trouble of that is; they aren't common. The entire repair industry (spanning motorcycles, cars, appliances ect.) is like this... and for you.. and almost everyone on this forum, it sucks.

·
Hmm..
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Unplug the connector at the tail of the bike that hooks to the turn signals as well as the connector that runs to the tail light.

Check to see if the problem continues. YES? Go on. No? Your problem is in the tail section

Unplug your HID's / Headlights and Check..

You get the idea.. Use a process of elimination to narrow down the problem child.

Use a test light and check all fuses, but pull those fuses and check to see if they are blown. (visible by the Z shape being broken inside the plastic)

This is the precise reason why I hate aftermarket shops and stealerships that rely on a bogus credentialing system, or none at all, to show their techs are qualified to work on bikes. Any tech worth his/her weight would be able to (hands on) solve your problem inside an hour. No part swapping (we call that "the shotgun" method), No BS, No guessing.. Trouble of that is; they aren't common. The entire repair industry (spanning motorcycles, cars, appliances ect.) is like this... and for you.. and almost everyone on this forum, it sucks.
Exactly why i'm trying to figure it out myself instead of taking it to another place because that place basically just got 150.00 out of me for not solving anything :curse

·
crashing aint so bad
2,271 Posts
sound to me like you have a bad ground or hot lead from the battery. Start with the battery and go to this link to find the correct service manual for wiring diagrams.

Link: http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/...254-r6-service-maintenance-repair-manual.html

The service manual will show you where things are so you can start narrowing it down. I find it easier to go from the beginning of the circuit and then go to the end. I.E. start at the battery and then go to the light and back to the battery from negative to positive. In this manor you use a continuity checker for holes in the circuit. Have fun.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts