Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a GSXR - Ducati man at heart :) But after riding my friends r6 over the summer, I have come to the conclusion that this is a hell of a track bike. So instead of getting taking my GSXR's to the track and having to prep them for the track which gets tiresome, I am in the market for a pure track bike. I will probably go used because, I have seen some of the sick deals you can get on a track bike loaded with tons of after market goodies.

Anyways my question is... What years 2000 on up, would you suggest to look at in the R6 or R1. I don't know a lot about all the changes made to the bikes, like I do the Duc's and Gixxer's.. And while I make good money, I dont feel like buying a $18,000 1098 and sticking it on the track. I know I would not drive it as fast being to scared of wrecking my investment.

So what years are the good ones. And what years would you stay away from. As I said this will be a pure track only bike. So changes in turn signals or headlight designs wont effect my decision.

Anyways thanks in advance, Go Yamaha :YEA

·
Registered
540 Posts
what kind of ballpark figure are you looking to spend??? Id say a used track or race 2006 would be the best, but I dont know the price you are willing to spend

·
Dibba daba
3,067 Posts
dude first off check out Craigslist for some bikes. there are some deals to be made for sure.

Right off the back look at nothing older then a 2003. 03 is when they came out with their Fuel Injection. Ive got an 05 ive takin it out on the track for 3 track days so far and goin back on the 11th, i love it (BUT.....its the only bike ive been on haha) but a friend of mine is a 636 guy, and he really liked the R6 on the track.

So all you need to know really is 03+ is good to go.

2003-2004 R6 and 2006-2007 R6S (the S is the diff) are all the same bikes from what I gather.

2005 main dif is some tweaks in little things I dont know...I think a mil or so bigger brakes, but main thing is Inverted Forks. dunno what all that does but prob changes the unsprung or sprug weight....i dunno.

But 2006-2007 R6 (not S...just R6) are the track oriented (sp?) bikes. They are focused for the track with awsome High end (the low and mid range sucks...but on the track you keep it above 10 anyway) and they prob have some other stuff that im not sure of...Know mostly of my 05 and still I dont know all too much. But the 06+ has a 50/50 distribution to where its spread out nice and dont wheelie much/front end dosnt want to come up when you kill it.

I rode a 06 R6 while my friend took my 05....side by side the 05 has way more mid range....just seemed like I had power all over the place with it, but when it came down to it we were dead even the whole time.

Ive seen bikes on craigslist for around 5k with a crazy amount of stuff with it. You can find a totaly tricked out bike...stands warmers and all for 5-6k.

·
Registered
437 Posts
the 05's also have radial mounted calipers to offer over the 03-04 R6 and the 06-07 R6S, a slightly higher seat, i think a slightly higher readline, and a few other minor changes, the 06 -07 R6 is supposed to have more top end power as well as a 17.5 red line i believe, and with its modified gearing it is pretty easy to keep in the sweetspot, but it definately doesnt have quite the mid-range as the 03-05. While the 05 is significantly more comforatable for the street, the 06-07 has a very racy geometry

if you can find a copy of the august 2007 sport rider magazine, it gives a little bit of a look at the differences between the 2007 r6s and the 2007 r6. (which is fairly similar to comparing the 2003 r6 to the 2007 r6)

·
Enormous Member
370 Posts
By the way, the '99-'02 carbed models make excellent track bikes. Yeah, FI is great, but it's not all that. And the changes from the '02 to the newer bikes really aren't going to make that much difference.

I have an '01 for the street and an '02 for the track. You can pick up these early bikes for a song. I'm seeing them these days for under $3k. They handle beautifully, and are competitive with any of the 600cc class bikes. The aftermarket on them is great, and can be found used for pretty cheap money. They're great out of the box, and better if you make suspension mods. I run a 120/70 front tire on mine (stock is 120/60), so I modded up the front fender a bit to get clearance. I'm also running a Penske rear and Traxxion forks.

I bought this bike wrecked and built it up. I probably have less than $3k in it, and it's fantastic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts