Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so I happend to stop by a yamaha dealership not too long ago to pick up some chain lube. The mechanic walks out and tells me I have an nice r6 yada yada yada yada blah blah blah(06 raven btw :) ) and he ask's me to start it up and he sees my mileage at 2200 and he says that it's crucial for me to get it "SERVICED" at 2400. So I was wondering IS IT CRUCIAL? to get it serviced?...I had bought this bike off of my brother and up until now hes been doing all the maintenance to it so I don't know a thing ! (even though I should be taking better care of the damn bike!) :mad: When they service your bike all they do is give you an oil change right and a 4 hour safety check up? and charge you up the ass for it. He told me they charge $90 an hour and to me I was like ***** THAT!...so now im about 65 miles away from 2400 and I dont know what to do...any suggestions people? I would kindly appreciate it! thanks for taking your time to read this!!!!!!

·
Registered
231 Posts
First, RELAX!!! Trust me, if you don't bring in your bike at 2,400 you won't trash it. Get an owner's manual--that's what I go by. The first and perhaps most critical is the 600-mile service: Drain the oil and get rid of any crap in that new engine (though as good as engines are these days, I doubt that's even much of a worry). Beyond that, the next service is at 4,000 miles: oil/filter, etc.

Moreover, manufacturers know that few do a service at the exact mileage, so if your 8,000-mile service is done at 9,300 like mine was (oil/filter done at 8,300), your bike won't be ruined. The dealer would like for you to THINK it will be, but it won't!

Serviced at 2,400?!? Tell your dealer to service THIS: 8====> ~~~ ~~ ~

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Yeah like Tony said, just go by the manual. It says 600 then 4k. It's ridiculous to say that it will be trashed if not done before 2400.

·
Is my R6 cool like Phils?
297 Posts
i think thats what they are saying...

i just changed mine and its at like 3800 but thats because i dont know when the last person changed it (bought it used)

if you are so concerned go buy some oil and a filter and do it yourself not hard...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts