Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so 14.7 is ideal a/f mixture, I've read that due to the additives in the fuels, the actual ideal a/f mixture can be as low as 14.1. I understand wanting to error on the rich side just to be safe at high RPMs.

So I originally filled in my AFR tables in the auto tune with 13.4 everywhere, except the 80-100% throttle, those got set to 13.2. That was definitely still rich.

So I opened up a couple other maps (Graves, Yoshi, Akra), and pretty much all of them have the AFR table values way richer than even what I have set, most where 13.2 - 13 (with a couple 13.4 - 13.6s thrown in the middle).

Is it really supposed to be set that rich?

·
crashing aint so bad
2,271 Posts
Bikes like to live in the 12.8 - 13.4 area. Most Dynojet tuners shoot for 12.8 -13.2. I too thought that running in the 14.7 area was ideal. It is for a car; not for a bike however. I would aim for the 13.0 - 13.2 area. This is not too rich and not too lean for a bike.

·
Riding his own ride...
4,639 Posts
Forget the 14.7 completely unless you want to damage your bike as that's way too lean with a load on the engine. Someone needs to remove that from the subtitle of this forum.

12.8 through 13.2 with a load on the engine. As the load decreases you can go leaner.

13.2 in the upper rpm's isn't rich unless and actually you go above that and you're getting too lean. It's actually on the lean side, moreso then the rich. 12.8 and lower and you're too rich, but 13.2 isn't too rich in the upper rpm's by any means.

You can go leaner then 13.2 if you really know what you're doing and have a modified engine, different gas, mess with timing, and many other advanced factors, but if it's a stock engine I wouldn't go any leaner then that in the upper rpms

·
Riding his own ride...
4,639 Posts
You most likely won't notice a difference. We played around on our bike and you can't tell the difference, but you will when you get into the dangerous lean area. Bike is a monster as it's slowly destroying itself. on many bikes even 12.8 through 13.2 won't be that noticeable unless it's not smooth and that smooths it out, but normally to smooth it out you need to alter the afr in a certain area to help with a dip in the curve or what not (dyno needed for that type of tuning). We do lean our map out though as the rpm's go down.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you guys meaning 13 over the whole map? I know it needs to be richer wide open just to be safe. My original settings where way too rich.

Here's what I'm trying right now, thoughts opinions?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts