Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I've got a 2007 R6 with 2008+ front fork and an ohlins YA606 rear shock.
I Just got my forks and shock serviced + an ohlins piston kit(hydraulic stops removed) installed.

The guy who did the job is very wel known here in europe and we decided to leave the stock springs, cause with my weight( 145 lbs) he told me i was ' in between' springrates.

So front springs are stock and rear is 95N

from what i've read on this forum front should be ok, but rear would be to stiff for my weight.

I was told to just put the gear on my bike and ride, no adjustments where neccecary.

i did check the sag just now and here are the measurements

Front:

free sag 22mm

rider sag 38mm

1 preload ring showing

rear

free sag 10 mm

rider sag 20 mm

i havent adjusted anything yet, but front should work out if i crank up the preload a bit, problem is in the rear. i nee more rider sag, but this wil increase free sag?

is it ok to run more free sag?

i guess a softer rear spring would help but dont know if a 90N would be enough.

i'm also curious if i change the springrate, how do i adjust the compression and , most importantly, the rebound damping?

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
10mm free/20 rider. In my opinion, you need to dial out more prelaod and get closer to 25mm rider. and of course, this will increase free too, so kind of indicates the the spring is a tad strong.
imo 95 is a lot of spring for a 145lb rider, but that could depend on the course, and if you are pretty fast. if there is lots of elevation, as many UK tracks appear to have (i love BSB!) the 95 may be right. But then i don't get why you would run .90 up front.. (if that is what you have, maybe you have .925? )
I am 165 and went from a .90 rear spring to a .95 and like it better. Pretty quick CLUB level expert racer. But.. most of our tracks here have ZERO elevation change.

talk with your guy.. he would be WAY better to ask about this as he has all the facts.. a bunch of people on an internet forum are just guessing, or at least just giving a reasonably informed opinion (at best). Me included.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i'm not from the Uk, but from belgium :lmao most tracks i ride are pretty flat too, except Spa francorchamps.

i was aiming on 25-26mm rear sag, 32-34 mm front rider sag btw its just the free sag that worries me a bit.

My level is somewhere arround advanced- fast group i would say, still learning alot and this is a new bike, much better then my old 2003 R1 for trackdays.

the suspension guy is now in spain i believe working with several racing teams so cant contact him for now, i Also think the rear should be softer, just trying to figure out if a 90N or perhaps 85N would be better suited( and not too soft).

the front springs we decided not to change for now, as i was on a budget and stock was pretty close for my weight.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
just an opinion, but yea.. i would think the 95 rear is a bit much. 85-90 would be better. There is an 875 Race spring out there too (ohlins). "R" springs cost a tad more than standard springs as they are tested and truly are the rate they are labeled as. Standard springs may say "90" but could vary by a fair amount. Hyperco and others may have "r" springs too, i don't know. My JRi shocks have springs that have been dynod so i know they are 95 :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok thanks man, will try to get my hands on a 85-90N spring or both :)

but what about valving, and the settings? valving is chosen for a certain spring rate, so if i lower it by 5 or 10 N will the current settings work the same? or should i adjust comp and rebound, and by how much , if so.

i have a baseline setting, not too different from the stock ohlins settings btw, should i leave it alone and try it like it is?

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
i would set the sag an ride it to start (especially if at "baseline" settings), and i don't know for sure what spring would be ideal other than as stated, 95 sounds a bit firm..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yep, allready found a used 90 nm spring, now lets hope i get it in time for my next trackday next thursday:)
i've set up sag for now and got 36 mm front and 26 mm rearsag, with 14 mm free sag at the rear, should be a good starting point. 'ive did alot of changes to the bike from last time i rode it, due to a crash..i've mounted a 2008+ triple tree, installed the ohlins piston kit, full service of suspension, did the clutch mod, added 3 mm of spacer to the rear and lowered the forks from 10 mm to 5 mm(2008+ forks) :popcorn:

I remember that when i bought the bike last year i've set the sag 20 mm rear 25 mm front, so this setup will be totally different, i also noticed running wide on corner exit, on some corners, so perhaps too little front sag was a part of the problem, maybe the too stiff spring in the rear too?

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
yep, allready found a used 90 nm spring, now lets hope i get it in time for my next trackday next thursday:)
i've set up sag for now and got 36 mm front and 26 mm rearsag, with 14 mm free sag at the rear, should be a good starting point. 'ive did alot of changes to the bike from last time i rode it, due to a crash..i've mounted a 2008+ triple tree, installed the ohlins piston kit, full service of suspension, did the clutch mod, added 3 mm of spacer to the rear and lowered the forks from 10 mm to 5 mm(2008+ forks) :popcorn:

I remember that when i bought the bike last year i've set the sag 20 mm rear 25 mm front, so this setup will be totally different, i also noticed running wide on corner exit, on some corners, so perhaps too little front sag was a part of the problem, maybe the too stiff spring in the rear too?
the 08+ front lower triple clamp is a huge improvement, ya just don't even know.. (allows a bit more fork flex). the top triple is the same from 06 on is all same.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts