Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
wat?
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question: I have some race bodywork with a normal supersport tail (i.e., uses the stock seat)

I talked to someone last race weekend who had the same tail, but had bought a sharkskinz seat base that he then added foam too. So it seemed to have the perks of a superbike tail (i.e., better feel) without the hassle of taking off the entire tail whenever you need to access anything.

I was hoping to confirm that what I want to buy is: "SZ 4151 Optional SS Tail Seat Base"

I can't find pictures online matched up with the model numbers, so was hoping someone might know.

·
wat?
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
2,901 Posts
Lesson learned from me. Don't waste your money on the woodcraft R6 seat foam, it doesn't fit. I had to cut the ba back portion off because it was to big. You're better off just getting the $20 square one. Just my .02

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
Quick question: I have some race bodywork with a normal supersport tail (i.e., uses the stock seat)

I talked to someone last race weekend who had the same tail, but had bought a sharkskinz seat base that he then added foam too. So it seemed to have the perks of a superbike tail (i.e., better feel) without the hassle of taking off the entire tail whenever you need to access anything.

I was hoping to confirm that what I want to buy is: "SZ 4151 Optional SS Tail Seat Base"

I can't find pictures online matched up with the model numbers, so was hoping someone might know.
Dunno how much different the 3rd gen tail is, but FWIW, the 2nd gen SBK tail comes off as easily as the stock seat. Two hex head bolts, and a few quarter-turn fasteners for the draft pan. Comes on/off faster than the stock seat- no pushing the foam out of the way while trying to get threads started.

·
wat?
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dunno how much different the 3rd gen tail is, but FWIW, the 2nd gen SBK tail comes off as easily as the stock seat. Two hex head bolts, and a few quarter-turn fasteners for the draft pan. Comes on/off faster than the stock seat- no pushing the foam out of the way while trying to get threads started.
Not sure, though I'd rather not take off the tail at all if I can avoid it (draft pan included). Matt was the one I talked to about his tail, he got cheap foam from some OC shop (H2 motors? HG motors? need to google). His setup looked real easy to pull just the seat.

Plus I already have a painted (albeit rattlecan lol) and number-plated SS tail... so it'd be cheaper to just get the seat pan. Plus the seat pan should be near indestructible (/knockonwood...).

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts
Lesson learned from me. Don't waste your money on the woodcraft R6 seat foam, it doesn't fit. I had to cut the ba back portion off because it was to big. You're better off just getting the $20 square one. Just my .02
Mine fit perfect to my armor bodies fairings.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
the seat pan saves a lot of time vs. pulling the entire tail section off, and i like the better feel vs the stock seat for sure
I got the graves seat foam, but would get different foam next time. A) it's thicker than some B) it's outrageously expensive C) it is grippy, but turns your leathers dark if they are lighter color

·
wat?
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the seat pan saves a lot of time vs. pulling the entire tail section off, and i like the better feel vs the stock seat for sure
I got the graves seat foam, but would get different foam next time. A) it's thicker than some B) it's outrageously expensive C) it is grippy, but turns your leathers dark if they are lighter color
The outrageously expensive part turned me away from that. I don't mind paying for stuff that I think had some R&D in it (e.g., their throttle tube), but $100 is ridiculous for a seat pad.

I ordered some cheap foam off ebay, though it's thicker than I thought it would be. Seems to defeat the purpose if I have a 3/4" pad... May have to keep looking.

·
2 > 4
156 Posts
You put anything between the foam and un-upholstered seat pan? Looks like its got some contours on the edges that could be less than comfy when hanging off the bike mid-corner.
That is A.Carey_6 seat so I don't know exactly how it feels. Perhaps he can weigh in. I don't see anything that would make me think it would be uncomfortable though.

·
Registered
430 Posts
That is A.Carey_6 seat so I don't know exactly how it feels. Perhaps he can weigh in. I don't see anything that would make me think it would be uncomfortable though.
When I was looking on my phone earlier, it looked like the edges may have some rise to them which would sit right up the ass crack when hanging off the bike, but it doesn't look so bad now that I'm checking it on the comp.

Going to give it try.

·
^^Slow guy on fast bike^^
86 Posts
Just throwing this in there, there's a few photos of how I did mine in this build thread. I won't know how well it works on-track until March 21st, but sitting on it in the garage and some "hanging off" while on the stands, it felt like it should work ok.

A little write up and some pics are in my build thread:
http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=337073

1 - 16 of 16 Posts