Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is one of those touchy subjects but i have my bike lowered alil more then an inch right now because I ride my girl on the back alot and feel alot more comfortable with her back there if i can be flat footed. But i want to raise it back up to stock because i was thinking of going to some track days, and also getting tired of avoiding speed bumps. So my question is how did everyone else shave the padding out of their seat? And how many inches could i take out of it without it being too uncomfortable of a ride? Thanx for any help.

·
Premium Member
8,144 Posts
Its already not the most comfy so less padding is just gonna be worse...

I applaud you for puttin it back to stock height though...how tall are you? I'm only 5'8 and cant flat foot...but when i have a girl on the back i can flat foot it no problem. Definitely not big girls either cause i've got a weight limit on there haha

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe i need to adjust the suspension then, I'm 5'10" and even with my girl riding im on my very tiptoes.

·
Premium Member
8,144 Posts
really??? If i was 5'10 id be able to flat foot....

at 5'8 im on the balls of my feet if i try to have both feet down, 99% of the time i'll have just my right leg down and my left up on the shifter unless im on a hill then i'll keep my right on the rear brake...

And yeah man, you should be able to flat foot at 5'10 especially with a girl on the back...even if shes like 90 lbs lol

·
Custom User Title
1,824 Posts
hmm
im 5'7" and i've raised the rear with my ohlin's for more rake

i ca'nt flat foot, but why do you need to? just get used to sitting on a bike with one foot on the ground and the other on a peg.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
i'm 5'5 and have my bike lowered an inch. i've only had my bike for 7 months, my first ever. next season, i'm definitely raising it back up though.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well when she's riding she thinks when we stop its time to reposition and lean around to talk and stuff. I'm not worried about if i can touch flat footed or not when i'm by myself but would like to be able to when she's with me.

·
I eat YOUR MOM
2,111 Posts

·
I ride bitches year round
1,834 Posts
I am personally thinking of adding foam to my seat. At least if I fall over at a stoplight my ass wont hurt.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I am 5'3" and when i first bought my '03 a couple years ago i wasnt comfortable on it at all (it was my first bike). One of the first things i did was order a second hand riders seat and i shaved it down (there was a good writeup on r6messagenet). I spent ages doing it, i even sanded the foam down with really fine sandpaper to make it all smooth and beautiful. I took a fair bit off as there is plenty of "meat" to play with. Then i got stuck because i didnt have a stapler strong enough to fix the vinyl cover back onto the extremely hard plastic of the seat.

3 or so years on and I have never looked back and get by on my original seat just fine. In fact, i think i still have the shaved down seat in the boot of my car haha. all that effort gone to waste. seriously though, if you think about it, even if you shaved a whole inch off the foam, when you sit on the seat the foam is compressed anyway so in actual fact you are not really lowering your arse much more that it was before shaving.

just get used to tippy toeing. it wont bother you in the least bit. i guarantee it.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanx everybody for the help. I'm gonna try it this week whenever i get my bike back from the shop, the stator (think thats how ya spell it) went out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts