Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long can you keep a helmet that's never been in a crash or dropped?

Won't the glue and foam and all that other crap start to wear out after a few years? Some guy at the local shop said it takes about 3 years for a helmet to wear out. Is that true?

·
Registered
836 Posts
I think 3 years is a bit short...

I still have an Arai that I bought in '97, and EVERYTHING about it seems fine.

Supposedly the foam loses some of it's energy absorbing properties over time, so I just played it safe and bought a new helmet last year.

If any of the cycle mags want to buy me a new "spare" I will donate it up in the name of science; that way they can test it against a new helmet. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I was curious that maybe the foam just ages over time and won't provide as much protection when it was fresher. I guess that's why I'm kinda wary of buying older helmets online.

·
Registered
531 Posts
If you feel that the helmet is loose around your head (ie. the padding has lost is cushioning) its probably time to get a new one, but it should be longer than 3 years. I'd say more like 5-6 years.

·
Registered
55 Posts
haha, my helmet has been in three wrecks now and i still wear it. I think i will see how many it takes. NOT. Naw, i just ordered a new one about 3 days ago. 2 of the wrecks weren't me but the first one was. damn that hurt.

·
Banned
4,008 Posts
i dont think the foam really loses its ability to take a hit, its just the padding around your face and head start to wear out, making the helmet not fit correctly. but i think as long as it fits correctly and has no structural dmagae it should be fine

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
not sure on shelf life, but i do know that helmets ARE disposable!

You use it in a wreck, it should be replaced.

This includes when it falls off your seat onto a hard surface! I heard 3ft and above drop does damage.

So don't hang it on your mirrors and don't set it on your seat. Make sure it securely locked wherever you hang it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.