Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure where to put this so I'll try here. I tried searching but kind of a weird topic.
My son crashed his 2002 R6 breaking the left rear set requiring it be replaced. So he did with one from ebay. I'm now working on the bike and I notice a few things in shifting maybe you could clear up.

1. Up shifting is no problem. Down shifting is difficult. Is this a linkage adjustment issue or are these bikes hard to down shift? If adjustment, could you give some guidance? It seems I have to raise the shift lever before I can push it down to the lower gear. First gear is the worst.
2. When I shift to the top gear (6?), the lever feels hard as if there's another gear to go. Is this normal. I'm used to a spongy feel of the shift lever in high gear.
3. Finally can you give any guidance for how the linkage should be set up initially. I'm in the dark here.
Thx.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, No and (Is the dot perfectly lined up with the line on the shaft?), that's a new one on me. I'll have to try to figure out what that means.

·
Hey...watch this
574 Posts
The shift lever on the R6 doesn't go up again when you're in 6th gear. Some bikes do, I know what you are talking about. It should not be hard to downshift. Something is wrong. Clutch adjustment?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes that was it. Spec called for 10-15 mm at lever end and I had 25-30 mm so fixed that and it's down shifting fine now. Thanks again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts