Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright, so i know that you have to take off the shifter rod when removing the oil filter...

lining up the engraved line with the dot, does that dictate how high the shifter pedal will go?

cause when i took it for a spin around the block, it felt as the shift rod was not coming back up after down shifting unless i kinda picked my foot up. before it would be soo easy. i was just wondering if i should put the dot below the notch so i can get it back to where it was, cause that's kinda how i saw it before.

just wanted to ask, because then i won't need to think something else major is wrong.

that is the picture of what i'm talking about...(not my picture)

·
Impossible is Nothing.
4,278 Posts
yes, line up the dot, with that line, if you want to adjust it, unscrew the two bolts on the rod, itself adjust to your liking then tighten them back up..

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes, line up the dot, with that line, if you want to adjust it, unscrew the two bolts on the rod, itself adjust to your liking then tighten them back up..
i have to line up those dots? and are you talking about the bolts with the black rubbers on each end? cause its weird, i never touched those and all of a sudden my shifting was different. when i took it for a test ride, after my first down shift, it felt like it sticked and didn't come back up. but my foot was just in the way and this never happened before.

that's why i'm asking if you guys think i can just adjust the dot and notch and that will work, or did i miss something during the reinstallation?

·
Impossible is Nothing.
4,278 Posts
that it is weird that its different, unless it wasnt lined up before the oil change....and yes if you loosen those bolts you can adjust the length of the shift rod...

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that it is weird that its different, unless it wasnt lined up before the oil change....and yes if you loosen those bolts you can adjust the length of the shift rod...
i don't think it was fully lined up the way i did, like mine is spot on straight with the line..but when i saw it before, it was kind of underneath. i'll give it a try tomorrow though.

anymore suggestions?

·
Impossible is Nothing.
4,278 Posts
eh...im all tapped out, maybe someone else will chime in:)btw, did the pb blaster work for that bolt?

·
R Sexiness
1,139 Posts
had the same prob with mine after i did my oil. the shifter was too high so i played with the shift rod a bit till i got it where i wanted it. Make sure you throw a little lock tight on the threads though my lower nut on the shift rod came loose and backed down to the shifter (is it just me or did that whole sentence sound kinda :gay)

·
Registered
790 Posts
I always just took off the shift rod; Never removed the bolt and mount you are showing. The rod takes like 10 seconds to remove. I just make sure I know where my adjustments were before.

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
they don't have to line up... it's probably just a little different than before you changed the oil. and btw, why did you even take that off? take the 4mm alan bolt out of the connection, and leave that lever on the tranny. that's how i get to my oil filter.

·
www.1seven1.com
2,063 Posts
Hey, check your oil level too, just for kicks. Just in case they filled it with the wrong volume or something. Cheap insurance and piece of mind.

I'm with everyone else ... probably just adjust the shift lever. No biggie.

·
Hey Guy
5,290 Posts
Once you figure out where everything needs to be, mark it with a Sharpie so you dont have to monkey with it a second time.
Also, when i put a rebuildable filter on my bike, the shift rod hit the filter. Just thinking it might be a good idea to check out the clearance between the rod and the filter.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Is that picture of your bike, or one you found somewhere?

I ask because the first time I changed my oil, I though I had it lined up the best I could, but it was off by one notch. It was low one notch and that was enough to cause problems with downshifting. The picture looks right though.

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
the filter has plenty of clearance. i adjusted the notch and did not effect it. just got home and riding was horrible. i had to lift my foot every time to down shift. and to up shift i had to carry my foot and the lever up.

should i adjust the shift rod? or what do i do with the lever? just move it down and tighten it?

EDIT..

fixed it. i just adjusted the shift rod and it moved the lever down. i guess when i took it off, it kept spinning which made the lever raise soo high.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts