Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

While just putting around do you skip a gear or two?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
looking for more curves
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I'm not riding hard or in a hurry I usually try keeping it under 3 digits, I skip 3rd and 5th.

Anyone else?

·
Registered
173 Posts
somtimes when cruising on the freeway or gettin on the freeway after up to speed Ill go from 3 to 6. Not any other time really. I'm truly bored right now........it clear....I just replied to this thread

·
Registered
129 Posts
Ill skip gears if i wind out first and i know i cant continue it in second. Usually skip to 4th gear. **** ITS BEEN SO LONG!!! Im at school now and do not have the pleasure of having my bike here. I think i miss it more than anything. More than my friends, more than my bed, more than.....sex? :confused

·
Registered
586 Posts
Yeah sometimes. But more than anything else, i'm always trying to find 7th gear. :stupic

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
**** it....i beat the shit outta that RR....i run it high in the revs and just beat the holy hell out of it....what ever you think you cancan dish out that bike can take it.....

·
Registered
679 Posts
Common sense tells me that I should use the clutch, cause when you don't with a car gears grind, and unless you're good at rev matching that can cause problems for synchros.

Granted this is my experience with cars, I don't know anything about bike clutches :roll:

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
-eWW-game said:
when should i use and not use the clutch?

Whenever I'm accellerating I'm going through the gears with a quick blip of the throttle and a quick flick of the left toes....

I use the clutch when i'm comin back down through the gears using a quick blip and slammin down gears....

·
Insert witty comment here
2,787 Posts
i do it mostly on upshifting ..... i use the clutch 1st to 2nd and from there on out i use either the clutch or not.....if you do it just be in the throttle and let off.....right when you let off it unloads the engine and you can slide it right into the next gear.....its nice when your really on the throttle you can just let off real quick and slide it into the next gear without having to grab the clutch and whack the throttle again

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
got_no_sol said:
Common sense tells me that I should use the clutch, cause when you don't with a car gears grind, and unless you're good at rev matching that can cause problems for synchros.

Granted this is my experience with cars, I don't know anything about bike clutches :roll:
Well they're wet....they lubricated with the engine oil....a lot of racers i know dont use the clutch at all and they say it has no adverse affects...so i'm inclined to go with what they tell me

·
Die Winter!
124 Posts
Well, I'm really new to bikes, but if its at all like a car, not disengaging/re-engaging the clutch for shifting leaves the plates togeather... the adverse effects with shifting this way in a car would be mismatching speeds and grinding your synchro's to bits. I assume it'd be much the same on a bike.

And to restate my first comment - I'm a newb so I could certainly be wrong. :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts