Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody.....I've been browsing this forum for a while now, but have just been too lazy to register until today, cause I finally came across a question that I can't find the answer to just by searching. I have found a lot of useful information here in the past, and appreciate the excellent forum.

Anyway, on to the problem. I finally had my first accident on my R6 (Incosiderate Tahoe driver forced me wide in a narrow curve and I got into some loose gravel at about 50) Thankfully I had leather jacket and gloves, so I wasn't hurt, other than ripping a hole in my jeans and skinning my knee :roll:

At first look, I didn't think the bike was damaged very much either. Just a few scratches that I was able to sand out and repaint easily. But the shift lever was also bent. This I easily straightened, but on my first ride out to see how everything felt, the bike would not shift into third. I brought it back home and was playing with the shifter, and it quit shifting into second. It will go down to first, and then back up to neutral, but will not come up into second.

The lever is not touching anything, and the linkage does not appear to be bent, and has plenty of clearance through the frame. I am afraid that the rough jerk on the shifter when it caught the ground may have done internal damage to the transmission. I was just looking for ideas on what kind of damage might have been done, and maybe a guess on what kind of repair costs I might be looking at.

Sorry about the long post, and thanks for any replies. :cheers

·
Banned
4,021 Posts
i would say your correct on the internal damage, if theres nothing on the shifter linkage messed up that bad it has to be internal.

but glad to hear you made it out ok on your wreck :cheers

·
Registered
148 Posts
ya i fell ya man, i'm recovering from a wreck i had @ 120 everything seems ok, waiting on my new front wheel to get in, then i can take it for a ride. my clutch lever was bent as well, but as far as my mechanic says, everything is ok

·
Registered
11 Posts
I remember reading something about some springs just on the insdie of one of the covers that broke on somebody, he was having simiar problems with shifting. If anybody knows what i'm talking about please say so. It may be an easy fix. I don't remember if I read it on here or on R6MN

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I started disassembling the whole linkage assembly to see what I could find, and to check the spring. I removed the cover over the sprocket and then the cover behind it, which, of course, revealed the little spring mentioned above (I think) The spring was just fine....looks brand new. Everything else appeared to be in excellent shape also. I could see nothing bent, broken or jammed.

Very disappointed, I reassembled it all, and then just for the heck of it decided to go for a ride on the odd chance that something good had happened. Very much to my surprise, I now have all six gears again!

I don't know what I did, or what was wrong with it, but you guys pointed me in the right direction, somehow.

Thanks... :jump

1 - 5 of 5 Posts