Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Yeah Science!
7,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I noticed in more "spirited" riding, in between upshifts, the bike revs slightly like it's in neutral. Is this because I'm pulling in the clutch faster than letting off the throttle? Mind you I've only been riding little over a month so I'm still new.

·
track is legal heroin
262 Posts
that would be my guess, especially with only a month of riding its just your timing. y exactly are you using the clutch for upshifts? get your timing right and as you are about to shift let off the throttle to a sweet spot and you can shift with no clutch.watch at 2:22 and again down the straight at 2:44 through 4 gears.

·
Yeah Science!
7,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I think it's my timing. I never tried clutchless shifting yet. I'll try it out sometime later down the road. I do remember I accidentally did a clutchless upshift in the MSF course when I took it awhile back.......lol

·
Jesus Reigns
4,400 Posts
never tried a clutchless shift, but as smooth as mine shifts into gear with amsoil, I don't think the bike would struggle at all doing a clutchless shift

·
track is legal heroin
262 Posts
a quickshifter is so you dont have to let off the gas and shift. yes you can do it at any rpm. i never ever used my clutch to upshift even on the street. only time i would was when i had a passenger to make it really smooth for them.

·
Banned
2,584 Posts
how come some times the bike shifts clutchless fine but others the damn lever wont go up. does it have to be at a certain RPM, am i doing it too slow after letting off the throttle?

can you help me out?

·
track is legal heroin
262 Posts
you can do it at any rpm, its all a matter of timing, you have to shift and let off at the same time,best way to find the sweet spot is ride in a straight line at about 40 in second, with half to 3/4 throttle apply pressure to the lever and keep pressure on it. let off throttle and when it hits the sweet spot it will shift. it will be a bit jerky doing this and its only if your having trouble finding it. once you find it and can consistantly hit it you will gradually do it smooth and at any speed and rpm and just cruising around

·
Banned
2,584 Posts
Ah so until i find that sweet spot a way to learn it is to:

Apply pressure to lever while still applying throttle and release throttle until it shifts and that is the "sweet spot", correct?

after doing some more research on clutchless shifting i think the problem i had was taking to long to shift up, i was fully off the throttle then trying to upshift rather than upshift quickly while rolling off.

·
Fat + S = Fast
1,234 Posts
When you're clutchless upshifting you're doing with the throttle what you would normally be doing with the clutch, which is unloading the transmission. Now the key word here is UNLOADING. It doesn't matter what kind of load is on it, if the engine is pushing on the gears to accelerate the bike, it's loaded; if you're off throttle and decelerating, the compression braking effect still has it loaded, just the opposite way. The magic is to come of the throttle to the point where you are neither accelerating or decelerating, and at that point the transmission will slide into the new gear smoothly.

The technique Infamous describes, of preloading the shift lever with your toe and then rolling off is basically a way of letting the transmission do the looking for you; it's "stuck" while you've still got it loaded, then as you roll off it loosens up, and the pressure you're already applying to the shifter makes the shift before compression braking reloads the transmission in the opposite direction.

That's probably confusing as hell, but I typed it so NANNA NANNA BOO BOO I'm posting it anyway. :p

·
Waiting for remission...
2,444 Posts
I used to try to clutchless shift but never got the hang of it, I thought I was hurting the bike since it wasn't happening very smoothly or wasn't happening at all. Guess you learn something new everyday.

·
track junkie
2,257 Posts
Hey all,

I noticed in more "spirited" riding, in between upshifts, the bike revs slightly like it's in neutral. Is this because I'm pulling in the clutch faster than letting off the throttle? Mind you I've only been riding little over a month so I'm still new.
you shouldn't be using the clutch at all for upshifting on "spirited" rides. clutch is used to get the bike rolling and to downshift only.

i don't recommend doing this sorta riding on the street, tho. save it for the track...

s3aturnr

·
Yeah Science!
7,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Saturn, I just tried it out for the first time today just commuting around town and it was really easy. As soon as you let off the throttle, it just goes up into the next gear really easily.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've had a problem with this just like Ghost and haven't tried it in a while. I totally understand the concept and even have done it on other bikes. I do it all day on dirt bikes and my girls 07cbr600rr. I've heard of other people that raced yamaha's having a problem. Ill have to look at this again.

·
Yeah Science!
7,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've had a problem with this just like Ghost and haven't tried it in a while. I totally understand the concept and even have done it on other bikes. I do it all day on dirt bikes and my girls 07cbr600rr. I've heard of other people that raced yamaha's having a problem. Ill have to look at this again.
You just have to preload the shifter and then when you let off the throttle, it should automatically change gears.

·
Registered
50 Posts
You just have to preload the shifter and then when you let off the throttle, it should automatically change gears.
I've done it in cars all day. Totally understand the concept. Just have a hard time with my bike. I have tried preloading it. Ill try it out this weekend when I ride my bike. Having a few people on here say they can do it makes me feel pretty comfortable and open to the idea I may be doing something wrong. I hear that it is easier on the 05 and under bikes though. I've had an 07 r1 and 07r6 and couldn't do it. First time riding a cbr600 and I do it. Just really weird.. i dunno I'll figure it out.

·
track is legal heroin
262 Posts
hmmm, ive never had a problem doing it on any bike. from my 03 r6 to my buddys 09, dirtbikes, 2 strokes, 4 strokes, even my buddys 1900cc v twin raider. its all the same bud. its just your mind playing tricks on you

1 - 20 of 23 Posts