Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else try out the new Shinko 005's yet. I just got a set and had them mounted two days ago. Initial impressions are very good for a tire in this price range. Smother turn in than my 208's or 207's and I haven't found their limits yet (but I haven't pushed them either). Good thing is they are $150 a set too !!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, we don't have a lot of curve's around here so I did what I could. Went out and tried to heat them up the best I could today and took on/off ramps, a couple 90deg turns and a "turn around, underpass". Everytime I was leaned over they seemed pretty solid, a little squirm from the rear once I got on the gas and only broke loose (very predictably) once under full throttle in 2nd around a 90deg turn at knee down lean angles. I have a 00 with notoriously nervous handeling on my previous D207's and D208's...these tires felt more stable, probably because of a slightly rounder profile. Also, they warmed up faster than the Dunlops...but the Dunlops never squirmed under initial accel for me... But as far as the limit of adhesion I'd have to say they're on par with the Dunlops (possibly slightly less). We'll have to wait and see on milage, and I don't think these would be a good track tire because of how fast they warmed up (seemed like they might overheat on the track)...although people say the Diablo's warm up fast too on the street.

Overall there is no other tire in this class (supersport) in this price range ($150 a set shipped to your door). You might be able to find some old D207's that have been sitting on a shelf for a while for sale at CLOSE to this price...or maybe some D205 (touring) tires at CLOSE to this price (but nowhere near this level of performance). Unless you are hitting twisty's often or visit your track on a regular basis I can't dream of ever spending more than this on another set of tires...reguardless of lifespan.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just got a reply from a guy who said he used these tires at his last track 4 days!!! They lasted that long and he had no complaints. He said they weren't as good as his Diablos, but better than the D208's he was using before..........

·
Registered
8 Posts
Shinko

I've got a pair of Shinko 005's that I've logged about 1,100 miles on. So far, I'm pretty satisfied with them and will probably buy them again. I ride twisties almost exclusively and so far they've been pretty solid. I think I'd want something better for a track day or a trip to Deal's Gap, but for riding the local twisties, I believe this is enough tire for the street unless you're in the top 10%-20% as far as skill / aggression goes.

I often wonder how many riders that are shelling out for high priced, low mileage sport tires are riding hard enough to justify the purchase. This is my first year riding on the street, so maybe I'm just being naive. I raced MX for years and put 10K miles of twisties on my bike this year, so I feel like I'm progressing fairly quickly. Still working on my form to be able to get my knee down, but I ride a pretty good pace on the street, drag a foot-peg every so often, and don't have chicken-strips on my rear tire. I ride regularly with a faster rider who's been riding for 16 years and knows his stuff. I've done a few group rides as well so I think I have a pretty good gauge of my abilities and the abilities of the general sportbike riding population (at least in Western PA).

I'm just not convinced that most riders are pushing their tires on the street to the point that they need the grip provided by a D208, Diablo, BT 014, Pilot Power, etc. I've ridden with a few that obviously are riding at that level, even on the street, but for me (and I suspect a lot of other riders as well) I believe the D220, BT020, Shinko 005's, etc will provide enough grip and hopefully better wear. If you have the cash and want the piece of mind that comes with more grip - more power to you. My problem is that I put 10K miles on my bike this summer and went through three front tires and four rear tires. I started with a set of D208's, burned the rear tire up after 3K miles and replaced it with a D220. Next I ran a BT014 front and BT020 rear and burned them both up in 3K miles and now I'm on the Shinkos. I've found a place to get the Diablo Strada's at a good price, so I'll probably try a pair of those after the Shinkos wear out. So far I really like the Shinko in the front. I've managed to slide and spin the rear a few times, but I'd say it's on par with the D220 and a bit better than the BT020 rear. Not only did the BT014 wear out quickly, but I probably liked the feel of it the least of the front tires I've tried.

Check out this link for a similar discussion from the R1 board.

http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=90614&highlight=BT020

·
Registered
282 Posts
how do they stack up to the stock 208s or 218s? More grip/less grip? Over all ride feel? Turn in? I know there is def a big difference from my stock 208s to my set of pilot powers. I have been hearing of a lot of people getting the shinko tires because of the price, but like u said most people don't ride the bike hard enough to tell a difference between tires. I know I have been able to pull slides with my 208s. The pilots barely move, its like riding on rails. I really have to push hard to get a slide outta them which is confidence inspiring. So anyways I would like to hear ur feedback on some of those ???'s.

Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Shinko vs. Dunlop

newtampa-r6 said:
how do they stack up to the stock 208s or 218s? More grip/less grip? Over all ride feel? Turn in? I know there is def a big difference from my stock 208s to my set of pilot powers. I have been hearing of a lot of people getting the shinko tires because of the price, but like u said most people don't ride the bike hard enough to tell a difference between tires. I know I have been able to pull slides with my 208s. The pilots barely move, its like riding on rails. I really have to push hard to get a slide outta them which is confidence inspiring. So anyways I would like to hear ur feedback on some of those ???'s.

Thanks
It's been such a log time since I've been on the 208's (beginning of the summer) and my riding has changed so much in that time, that I can't really give a fair comparison. I just came off of the Bridgestone BT014 / BT020 combo and I'd have to say I like the Shinko's better on both ends. The BT014 is supposed to be a high performance tire, but it seemed to move around a lot on me on corner entrances. Not to mention, I wore it out in 3K miles (middle was still fine but the sides were gone). I can usually get 6K out of my fronts and 3K out of my rears. I don't mind paying more or getting less wear in exchange for performance, but it didn't seem like that was the case in this instance. I preferred the D220 rear over the BT020 and since I got the same wear out of the D208 as the D220, if I were going to buy a Dunlop rear tire, I'd buy the 208.

My buddy Jeff is a fast rider with 16 years experience on the road and in the dirt. When I bought my F4i, he had a Yamaha V-Max and would spank the Hell out sportbikes in the twisties on his V-Max. I don't know exactly what tires he had on his bike, but the tires designed for the V-Max are pseudo-cruiser tires. Not to mention, they're narrow too, I think he ran a 160 or less on the rear and the front was narrow too. Watching him carry that much corner speed on that heavy bike with those tires made me think that just about any sport / sport-touring tire would be more than capable to handle everything I could throw at it. I was riding with Jeff in the twisties this past Saturday. He's now riding a CBR600RR with Pilot Powers. It was around 50 degrees and we were running a good pace and my rear tire slid in a few of the corners. It slid enough in one corner to get me to back my pace down a bit. At our next stop before I could say anything, Jeff said "My back tire is all over the place". The Shinkos were sliding around, but so were the Pilot Powers.

The one thing that I'm not sold on about the Shinkos is their profile. Comparing them to Jeff's Powers, the Shinkos are significantly more round, where the Powers are more peaked in the middle. The difference is more noticeable on the rear tires than on the fronts. I would think that the more peaked profile of the Powers would make for a larger contact patch when leaned over that the rounder profile of the Shinko's. What the tires look like and how they perform are two different things. So far, I'm happy with how the Shinkos perform. I'm not trying to say that the Shinko's are as good a tire as the Pilot Powers because I know they are not. My thought is that if my level of riding on the local twisties is not enough to exceed the capabilities of the $150 a pair Shinkos, that spending $300+ on a pair of Powers might be a waste for me. I'm not going to run Shinkos at the track or at the R1 / R6 Forum trip to the Gap this summer, but for the local stuff I'll continue to run them unless I find something that gives me more bang for my buck...

·
185 Posts
I want to refresh this old thread. Any new views on the Shinkos?? I was going to just make a new thread but i found this one.

Just figured there would be a few more people with opinions now that have used them. My buddy is looking at getting a set for his GSXR and i told him i'd research them for him..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.