Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has ever ran Shinko tires? (I had never even heard of them) I have a friend who has recently opened up a shop and wants me to try out a set. He told me he would sell them to me at cost just to give him feedback on them.

I do aggressive street riding and was just wanting some info, if anyone has any.

I'm always willing to save money...as long as I can safely do so! Know what I mean!:toocool:

·
Love to RIDE!
238 Posts
My friend has one on the back and he said that they hook pretty good at first and then they wear down pretty quick. Then he said they tend to wash out in corners. But he keeps buying them because their cheap. He said he uses them for wheelies. Hope this helps some.

·
Shiney up Rubber down
4,925 Posts
Fine for the drag strip. JUNK on the street. Had a buddy that ran a set and at MODERATE riding... Slipped out on him about 10 times within 3 months of riding (about 3000 miles or so) and actually went down once with them. He's run Qualifiers, Corsa III's, and Bridgestone BT 02's as well... and said that BY FAR The shinko's are the worst tires he's ever run, and would NEVER use their junk again. He siad they're hard to get warm, and they are a very hard tire to begin with, their grip is horrible and they wear REALLY quickly. Just to name a few.
His next set of tires is a set of Pirrelli Rosso's. He tries out almost any type of tire you can think of. He's quite the connesuer or tires, I'd take his word on any tire advice he gave me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UGH! Not lookin good for the Shinko's lol! By chance do yall happen to know which line of Shinko's they were runnin?

Thanx for the advice! Think I'll stick w/ the 2CT's!

·
Registered
52,007 Posts
It will depend on which Shinko's and the type of riding you do. They are a Korean company that bought your the motorcycle tire division of Yokohama. I've run the old Yokohama 003's many years ago, but I don't know how different the Shinko version of the 003's when cranked to the edge. I did ride ride a friend's 165 rwhp liter bike and it didn't have any grip issues in a straight line of moderate turns. YMMV.

·
08 Yamaha R6
3,057 Posts
I had about the same deal. I had a friend that worked at a shop, and had me give a set of the 005 advance's a try. They heat up really fast, and they seem to have good grip to start with but they wear out quick. I would rather spend a little more money and get a set of tire that I am not going to have to change out every few monthes just for street riding. I am sure that I would never run shinko's on a track they would just eat up way to fast. I actually am going to buy a new set of tire tomorrow, and I still have not decide on what to buy.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I've really only seen them on stretched bikes. I wouldn't wanna test them at their edges... If you do decide to try them out, how bout doin it on a race track to limit your variables and chances oppurtunites for problems.

·
Registered
64 Posts
i had them on my rear for quite some time before nail go stuck under the tire. but from my experience, they werent too bad as long as you dont take it to the edges. moderate riding and it heats up pretty good too.

·
Lets go fishing4twisties
209 Posts
I know what ya thinking Alliash, same thing i am!!
With all this negative replies and the main words ive read when people are not dissing them is there 'OK'. Why have something like that always playing in the back of your mind whilst your cranked over! when your in that position there's so many other things you need to be thinking about rather than 'is this tyre gona hold'
i ran 2ct's before and they were awesome. did track days on them too and they never even slipped.
im running bt016's at the mo and there just as good if not better, ive just been out for a blast and i stopped for about an hour, tyres cooled down then i went back out, only half a mile down the road and i was almost at full lean, had my knee down and flying around a roundabout with the tyres not fully warmed. now thats the peace of mind you want.

·
08 Yamaha R6
3,057 Posts
I just bought a set of powers 2CT last night but they look, and feel like they are going to be great tires.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts